Halloween Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case anyone is having issues uploading photos. It can be really easy and quick. Try it before reading this. But if you get stuck, this might help.

Here is a tutorial on how create an album and upload your photos. Screenshots may vary a bit from your screen. It's not super-complicated, but it's easy to miss a couple buttons. I've over-explained things a bit and then bolded the important parts. It shouldn't take more than a minute or so to make a new album and upload some photos once you get the hang of it.

STEP 1 From any forum page click on your username at the top right of the screen. This will take you to your personal profile page.

STEP 2 Scroll down until you see the word "Albums" on the left hand side. It should say "More" next to it. Click on the word "More" (It may say something different if you don't have any albums yet).

STEP 3 Click on "Create Album" to create a new photo album.

STEP 4 Name your album, and add a description. Then click "Save Changes." This should pop up a NEW window overtop of the current one.

STEP 5 In the new window, click "Choose File" and use that to select a new file from your computer. You can do that 5 times - once for each "Choose file" button.

You can also upload images from other websites in the section below but I'm not going to worry about that here.

STEP 6 Click the "Upload" button on the right hand side of the screen. IMPORTANT: On my computer, this pop-up window always shows up too narrow, so I don't see the "Upload" button. You may have to scroll or widen your window in order to see this button. And make sure you click the "Upload" button for the "Upload Files from Your Computer" not the "Upload Files from Website" Section.

Once you've clicked, "Upload" you will likely have to WAIT. I believe the server has some software which resizes the photo for the site. It seems like the bigger the photo the longer it will take. So I generally resize my photos to about 800px before I upload to speed up the process. If you seem to stall here, try making your photos smaller before uploading. You can also try uploading the photos one at a time and see if that works.

Wait until you see your filenames show up in the lower portion of the screen, where it says "Current Attachments" You'll see a "Remove Photo" button if you want to remove a photo from the list to be uploaded.

STEP 7 Once you see the filenames appear in the "Current Attachments" section, you can click "Close this Window" at the top right to...close this window.

STEP 8 Here's where I think things go off the rails for most people. You now see your original window, showing the contents of the new album, with the photos you just selected under the "Pending Photos" section.

You can go in and edit the information for each photo, and you can even select a different album for them to appear in (if you have multiple albums). But here's the important part...

YOU NEED TO CLICK THE "SAVE CHANGES" button before the photos will stick. Otherwise they'll just disappear into the void. Sometimes you won't even see the "Save Changes" button unless you scroll down, so it's easy to miss. Once you've clicked that button, you should be returned to the album with the contents. And... you're done! Hooray!

You can click "Upload Photos again" if you want to add additional photos to an album.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I didn't have trouble when I first joined, but now I am having problems. I do everything as you say to but when I click "Close Window" at the top, it closes my whole tab and nothing happens. No photo's uploaded :/ I don't know why it's doing this. I tried right clicking and opening it in a different tab to do the whole uploading process, but it does the same thing. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
5,575 Posts
I didn't have trouble when I first joined, but now I am having problems. I do everything as you say to but when I click "Close Window" at the top, it closes my whole tab and nothing happens. No photo's uploaded :/ I don't know why it's doing this. I tried right clicking and opening it in a different tab to do the whole uploading process, but it does the same thing. Any suggestions?
What browser are you using?

·
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you getting any kind of error, Chaserbug? I think I've had problems in the past depending on how I've named the folder - I think I've gotten something like "This Album does not exist" or something like that.

I think I solved it by creating a new album that was just all one word with no spaces (but I've been creating album names with spaces since with no issues so the problem doesn't seem consistent).

Hope you get it figured.

·
Registered
887 Posts
No error message. I've gotten a few to load now. Some won't go at all and it takes like 5 minutes for each one to load!

·
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could be the load on the server. And if your photos are large, I think it can take a while. Or it could be the Johnson flanger is interfering with the frammistat. (In other words, I have no technical knowledge whatsoever.)

If it's not too inconvenient, and it's within your abilities, you could try to downsize the photos before you upload them. That's helped me in the past. I usually export my photos to a maximum size of 900 pixels wide in either direction and they seem upload pretty quickly.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,571 Posts
I've noticed my photos will not upload unless they are under a certain size (I'm starting to make them no larger than 850 px in height or width - whichever is the largest). Before I started resizing them, they would not upload, so definitely double check your sizing.

I have been uploading with no issues once I resized. (just uploaded a batch in the last week that way).

·
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This thread is out of date now. The board software has completely changed - I haven't tried posting pics lately but I'm sure things have gotten much more intuitive with the upgrade.

So please disregard. This thread served a purpose but it's well past it's prime.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
10 Replies
7 Participants
GobbyGruesome
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing