Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
;)here is my second attempt at showing the horse to you so you can give me some advice on whether to add chicken wire over the foam or not. My concern is, do I need to add the chicken wire for structure or is the 2 inch sheet of foam going to hold the monster mudd????
thanks in advance since I take forever to manuever my computer:)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hi. I have not personally done an ambitious monster mud project like this, but see this link for someone who has.

http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/76630-horse-my-funeral-coach-4.html

Homestead Haunt used chicken wire on his, and it makes sense. Monster mud can be very heavy when its wet, and chicken wire attached with many staples to the wood frame should be rigid enough to support the mm and burlap. It should also make it more durable, so it won't crack so easily with handling and time.

Nice pose for your horse, by the way. Going for a headless horseman prop?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, I am building a black rider like creature, like the ones from lord of the rings. I am building the head next.

·
The thing under the bed
631 Posts
nice looking project. I am curious as to how you plan to secure the horse and rider to the ground. As everything will be heavy and its tall I would wory about it toppling over.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I think the foam will work under the MM without adding the chicken wire. You might want to lightly mist the foam with a spray bottle just before you start MMing so the foam does not wick the moisture from the MM too quiclky. I am dont sure if that will matter but it seems to with everything elase that is built this way. FYI... My horse just stood out in the rain for 2 solid days and is still as hard as a rock without any extra sealers put on him. He does have 2 coats of exterior paint and that seems to have done the trick.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I just remembered something. When I was doing the MM thing on the underside of the horse I had to use zip ties to attach the burlap to the chicken wire to hold it in place until it dried. This was easier then flipping the horse over and letting gravity hold the MM/burlap in place. Unless you have some other solution that will keep burlap on the horses belly, start adding wire.

·
sasquatch
3,076 Posts
how will you keep that thing from tipping over? Seems to me it is going to be supper heavy.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the tail is going to be an undercover anchor as well as the legs. They will have deep anchors into the soil. If that doesn't work, trust me, I will figure that one out. I just may have to place a support under the belly, I haven't thought that far ahead. I am one who deals with the details as they come, not much of a planner.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am getting nervous now with the stages coming on. I think the foam looks rather creepy as is. The horse looks like it has been skinned. ewwww I know you were able to sit on your horse which has been my sort of guideline to how sturdy this beast should be but mine is reared up and no one other than my cloaked skeleton will be ABLE to sit on her back. People keep asking me how I am going to keep it standing up...well, I don't know yet:(

·
Registered
916 Posts
I think you are on the right track when you were talking about an anchor running into the soil. Before I went any further I would run a cable in through the horses rectum (sorry) and up into his body. Secure the cable to the main body along several points. Leave about 5' hanging out the back of the horse. That could easily be attached to an anchor in the ground and hidden by the horses tail. Thin sisal rope worked great as a tail and mane for my horse. Make sure those rear legs are very solid......Giddy up!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You have a great idea, anchoring the horse from inside up through her body. I am going to do that. Thanks...what do you think, should I strip the foam off and just use the chicken wire, or leave it on. Someone else was saying that cement has a wire mesh to reinforce its structure and monster mud uses the same concept. I don't know, I have never worked with MM becore.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I think the issue is going to be having something to fasten the burlap covered MM to as it dries on the underside of the horse. When you try to MM the belly of the beast, the burlap is going to flop off onto the floor unless it is attached to the horse somehow or the horse is flipped upside down. My horse had 2 layers on wire and then the MM. I am sure the wire added to the strength of the horse that allowed me to sit on it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I think I will eliminate the foam and just apply the chicken wire. As for the MM, I think I will wrap it up and fasten it at the spine since the belly will be visible and the spine won't especially with the night rider up there. What do you think of that? I chicken wired the head today and it looks pretty cool. I appreciate your advice. Holly

·
Registered
916 Posts
I did that as well pullong the burlap tight to the spine to help hold the underside in place but you will still battle with areas like between the front and back legs.....you'll see what I mean when the MM starts flying. Do you have eyes yet? I ordered mine from a taxidermist and stuck them on with silicone caulking.

·
Registered
15 Posts
horse skeleton

I'm thinking this may have been a missed oportunity for "LollypopHolly" and "HomesteadHaunt".
There's an amazing haunted hayride near me that has a skeleton horse and rider that rears and breaths fire when you pass..
The horse as a skeleton I think is a fantastic idea. Maybe someday I'll have the energy and dedication to make my own.
View attachment 6660

View attachment 6661

1 - 17 of 17 Posts