Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I added to last year’s pillar prop. As my front entry way for a fenced rout to my front door, I thought it would be cool to put a gate on my pillars.
So here is what I got so far.
Now keep in mind, there will be another lantern on the left side but it was way too cold to keep working tonight so I figured I got all day tomorrow so why push it.
Also, when this project is complete, there will be a pneumatic ram that will be connected to the gate on a hand held remote switch to open and close it at my will. I will post more pics when that part is done.
Here is one of the pictures, if you want to see more of them feel free to go to my site and view the others. Kammo's Lair
Whatcha think?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Looks great. I always like your stuff.

Do you think you'll have any problems with tots tripping on the 2x4?

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
Incredible! I love the sheer size of this thing. Is the letters at the top in blacklight paint or do they light up somehow?

That 2 x 4 could be a tripping hazzard. Perhaps those traingular ramp things I've seen?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Looks great! Thanks for posting these, the one thing I'd like to add to my entry is a gate. Next year. I'm very curious about your pneumatic arrangement. Please post pics asap!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks guys.. Yeah this thing is awesome..
Ok so everyone is concerned about the 2x4 on the bottom, but I have gone through a few different ways to keep the trip factor down. when I made the plans for the gate I "was" gonna make this 2x4 2" below the bottom of the pillar base, but after starting the build I figured it would be very difficult to get it together with 2" sticking out the bottom. SO.. 2 things I can do:

1. I can bury 2" of the whole bottom underground since where I put it is in the dirt. My whole front yard is dirt, no grass.. got rid of those pesky trees and grass that get in the way of my props. I guess I take Halloween just a little to serious huh?

2. I can take the 2X4 off since the sides are screwed into the wood frame on the sides of the pillars.

I think I’ll be going with #2 and when I need to transport just put it back on with "L" brackets.

Terra: The sign is made like all my other signs, there are Christmas lights inside and the letters are cut out. The lights are set to random FX so it changes what it does about 30 times.

Special thanks to Terra for the best way to paint the gate and lanterns.

Mikon: I thought this was gonna take me a long time to make and was considering waiting till next year to do the gate, but said screw it... paid $25 for 3 2x4s, 1 1x3 and 10 8' 1" 3/4"thick PVC and took 4 hours. Glad I went ahead and did it. Looks Awesome!

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
I think it looks great! Love the rusty effect on the bars.

MsM

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Meeple...

Ok so I got the lanterns on today and started the gate opener/closer.
I will be useing a much stronger line for the final but you get the idea from the new pics on my site.. Pillars
After doing a trial of my original design I decided to change it. This one will work just fine. Gonna change the gold hangers for steel full loops and twine for cable. When its all done you shouldnt be able to see much of how it works so this will get the design across for those of you who want to do the same.

I also added a video of the Pillars minus the opener/closer.
Check it out..

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so I changes the design again for the opener/closer on the gate.
But it works perfect now..
I put up a video of it working, before I got it working perfect. But there are also some pictures of what I did to make it work right.
Click on my sig to get to the site and then click on pillers and go to the bottom.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts