Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a quick project that you could do in an evening to take your lighting up a notch -

Pin lights - those tiny, hidden lights that add just the right amount of magic to everything... Here's a quick and CHEAP method I've used to build these.

Let's do this!

Materials:

Amazon LED flashlights (or any type you like)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010LYKPMM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Colored lighting gels
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004A9PMGE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s02

Black Duct Tape
You probably have rolls of this already if you have an account on HF.com

Aluminum FoilTape (optional)
http://www.amazon.com/TapeCase-Alum...&qid=1445908257&sr=1-4&keywords=aluminum+tape

Auto part

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Step 1: Cut Out the Lighting Gel Insert

You could skip this step if you're going for bright white pin lights everywhere, however, if you want to tweak the colors and add small pin "splashes" of highlights, you'll need some color gel material to get started.

Simply cut out little shapes (circles with wings) by tracing around the lens of your LED and leave little tabs (wings) so they help stay taped down.

Green Plastic Fictional character

Just by holding the gel up to the light, you can see the color shift!

Leaf Hand Finger Design Textile

Take a strip of duct tape and secure the colored gel by the wings around the front end.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Part 2: Make a Hoodie

To keep the lights from becoming noticeable, make a tape hood using duct tape and aluminum foil tape around the lens to hide the beam as it exits the flashlight.

Product

I make these using a strip of duct tape with a piece of aluminum foil tape stuck to the top. The aluminum foil tape does a couple of things:

1) Keeps the duct tape from folding up on itself and sticking to the lens
2) Adds reflectivity to shine brighter
3) Adds opaqueness to the somewhat transluscent duct tape.

Cobalt blue Blue Electric blue Glass Plastic

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Part 3: Roll 'em tight

Once the hood is wrapped around - like a tube, trim the side with scissors to allow more light to exit.

Then, wrap the whole thing in black duct tape to hide it.

You can even use this technique on the larger LED yard lights (the large one above was $6 from Home Depot).

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,254 Posts
I love your idea! The duct tape is an awesome suggestion.
I have just used those finger led's from the dollar store and or amazon.
Light Green Visual effect lighting Lighting Finger

They are colored and super bright. No gel needed, and they either have a rubber band you can attach to a rebar or branch. But what I dislike about using these is the constant turning on at night, turn off later. For me, if I can't put a plug in it and set it up to my outdoor timer, Im really not going to do it.....Im such a lazy pants! But your idea is awesome for halloween night, or possibly a couple of days of just leaving it on. I have a couple of just white flashlights to accent details. I used them for the pics this year, and about 3 days before just leave them on.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

They are colored and super bright. No gel needed, and they either have a rubber band you can attach to a rebar or branch. But what I dislike about using these is the constant turning on at night, turn off later. For me, if I can't put a plug in it and set it up to my outdoor timer, Im really not going to do it.....Im such a lazy pants! But your idea is awesome for halloween night, or possibly a couple of days of just leaving it on. I have a couple of just white flashlights to accent details. I used them for the pics this year, and about 3 days before just leave them on.
Whoa - this is great! See what we've created? A new version of the pin lights! M&M - awesome idea and these little guys are cheap, cheap, cheap! It's easy to go overboard with too many floodlights in the yard, but after the last few years, I'm convinced you can't have enough pin lights to highlight the details. And you're right - it is a pain to go out and "click" all the pin lights to off - I totally agree!

I like the idea of combining the duct tape hood with the finger lights! V-WALLLA! A new lighting concept!

Now, I need to stock up on some extra batteries - dang! I alone must be keeping the duct tape and battery companies in business this year!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is unbelievable and I can't believe I never thought of it myself- I have seen your pics and the lighting is amazing- starting tonight- Brilliant!!!!
OK capo33 - take some photos and post back here if you can! And if you're inclined, pick up some finger lights too and see what the new hood looks like on them!

In fact, I remember one of my kids dancing around with her fingers all a-glow a few months ago. I might have to raid her room after dark and "borrow" those things... hee hee...:eek:

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You sir, are a genius.
Actually - I wish I was. I'm really just a sap for creating fleeting memories for obnoxious, juvenile strangers - all while maintaining a low-cost budget. Like all of you! :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
OK capo33 - take some photos and post back here if you can! And if you're inclined, pick up some finger lights too and see what the new hood looks like on them!

In fact, I remember one of my kids dancing around with her fingers all a-glow a few months ago. I might have to raid her room after dark and "borrow" those things... hee hee...:eek:
LOL- I will definitely post pics- I remember my 7 year old running around also with the finger ones- can't wait to try this out tonight- kids can help me too- they will love it!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
View attachment 265588
I bought some of those this year to try. Would you say they are good for a one night only haunt?

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
LED Pin Lights. Wrapped in black Duct Tape.
Ive been on this forum a long time, but I think this is the best idea I've yet come across. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.