Halloween Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
I love all these ideas. Our city is divided up into neighborhoods and the one just across the busy street from us (Sparr Heights) gets about 500-1000 tot'ers per year (the cute shopping village is at the top of that neghborhood and the street gets closed down to cars & all the businesses hand out candy. All the kids start walking down into Sparr Heights to continue to tot). It's CRAZY over there. Us, being Montecito Park, have seen less and less TOT'ers over the years because they all head over to SH. The last few years we have been giving out full-size bars because we only get about 40 kids. We want to convince the kids to come over our way because it's quality over quantity! *LOL* There are a few houses that also do the same. One year I actually posted on the neighborhood FB page that we had full bars on our street and the kids started asking each of my neighbors if they were the house giving out full size bars. I felt kinda bad but it worked - we have had more kids after that! I work in Consumer Products for one of the movie studios so I think I'm going to start collection Hot Wheels and blind bags we license over the next 6 months to give out. We are known for our Halloween decorations in our area so throwing in some geat giveaways, as well as full size candy should seal the deal! We'll get those kids over here from Sparr Heights if it kills us!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes I hand out little toys (found at Dollar Trees, Walmart, etc.) in conjunction with candy. Lots of kids these days have allergies, so it's nice to be able to hand them something they can play with.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm surprised the potatoes were such a hit. That's the last thing I would've wanted as a kid for TOT. I recall getting apples once in a while and feeling cheated.

·
Registered
93 Posts
We always give out candy and display a teal colored pumpkin, which indicates candy-free treats for kids with allergies, but no one has asked for them. I have goodie bags stuffed with Halloween stickers, tatoos, bracelets, rings, glow sticks, pencils, bubbles and little toys. Maybe I'll put "allergy free treats here" directly on the teal pumpkin so I can get kids to ask for them, but honeslty I think they are more interested in our yard display to even notice.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
Years ago we used to hand out cheap books, toys, comics and DVD's. In a fiscally challenged place like Samoa they are truly appreciated. I heard of little kids sleeping with their new toys. But in Canada TOT's actually PREFER full sized candy bars to a horror DVD. Go figure...

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I am always surprised when TOTs choose a full sized candy bar over a more expensive toy or novelty item. Maybe those kids have parents that don't allow sweets except on very special occasions.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts