Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought this today and decided to glue to foam boards together, like a cross tombstone. I applied it @10am, put a weight on it, and it stayed in place when I removed the weight at @3p. The boards didn't move, until I bumped into the table with it. Came right off. Well, maybe it needs to cure some more. Will let you know if its worth it by tomorrow.

51FSzTq90XL._SL1029_.jpg

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have always had bad luck with Liquid Nails even the kind specially made for foam boards. I have had luck with Tacky Glue you get from the crafts dept at Walmart or any craft store and Elmer's all purpose glue works good too. The hold together and when painted never had them come apart. Hopefully you have better luck and this works out for you.

tg.jpg

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
The problem with most adhesives is that they need air to cure. Most foam boards are closed cell and don't allow air to reach the glue. I've used hot glue in the past but you gotta be quick about it.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I continue to use great stuff to glue foam boards together. Squirt on a line like you would with liquid nails. Then use a piece of cardboard or other junk material to spread it around and make it thinner (how thin depends if your styrofoam is really rough). Place the two pieces together and pin them or weight them. If you are using it to glue large items like two tombstone blanks together, mist just a little water over the thin greatstuff layer.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Great stuff is cured with water vapor in the air, or misted on the part if a larger area (say over a foot square). Most of the things I glue with it are being worked on again (their next step) in a couple hours.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ok so im new to making foam tombstones but this last week ive made both the thinner white Styrofoam sheets, cheap white Styrofoam coolers and some blue 2" scrap construction foam and ive been using the liquid nails project glue($1.73 a tube at lowes). Lowes website says its for interior use but I've been making thick lines and used scrap wood pieces to spread it thin in between sheets. When gluing the blue foam to the white cooler i let it set for twelve hours and it is rock solid. Today i made two stones with the thin foam pieces and the last one i did i literally spread a thin coat between four sheets, pressed them all compact and immediately started cutting and they stayed together during cutting, carving and monster mudding. Both the new stones look good and are rock solid. Especially after the mudding.
I don't know if this helps you any but i figured i would put my two cents in.

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FINAL VERDICT: After a couple of days, very strong hold. The reason I purchased this one instead of regular liquid nails was for the initial grab factor and not having to weigh it down in some weird position for some odd angles I was gluing. It does respond and stick well when you first attach, but I still put some weight on it and its pretty strong now. Also has a lot less odor.

·
Seer of All
2,937 Posts
Gorilla Glue is my go-to for foam projects. I've never found anything better, although it is a little pricey for large projects. I love the fact that it sets and cures in about an hour, maybe two if it's very humid. I do not have the patience to let something cure for two days before I can finish it, but that's just me.

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
524 Posts
I've used the standard Liquid nails and exterior wood glue for my foam to wood projects. The drying time does seem to be pretty long but once it is dried it is solid. I typically leave the items to cure/dry overnight and have not had any problem. I keep both of them pressed overnight. I've used the gorilla glue on other projects and it does very well, but the cost is a bit much to swallow. the new G.G. construction adhesive goes for around $8 per tube where I can get liquid nails for under $2.

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've used the standard Liquid nails and exterior wood glue for my foam to wood projects. The drying time does seem to be pretty long but once it is dried it is solid. I typically leave the items to cure/dry overnight and have not had any problem. I keep both of them pressed overnight. I've used the gorilla glue on other projects and it does very well, but the cost is a bit much to swallow. the new G.G. construction adhesive goes for around $8 per tube where I can get liquid nails for under $2.
Exactly my point. I usually use liquid nails or glidden gripper for large foam projects, but I saw this stuff and it does grip fast and well esp if you have weird angles you want to glue. Just takes longer to cure than liquid nails.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
There is special adhesive designed for foam. I've bought a couple different brands, sorry I don't remember the name, but they both worked great. Drying time is minimal and has held my cemetery columns together for several years now. It worked well gluing the foam to wood as well. The only downfall is it is a spray adhesive, so controlling the application can be tricky with small things.

I found them along side other glues at Menards. Cost is around $11.00 Hope that helps!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts