Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year for Halloween I went as Twisty the Clown (I know, I know, me and the clowns... it's a thing) from American Horror Story. This year I decided it'd be a shame to let the costume and scalp I'd made last year go to waste, so I made a life-size armature from galvanized steel tubing (for the main spine that extends from the head to the floor) and 1/2" PVC tubing for the arms. I used plastic forearm/hand props from the dollar store, covered by his sleeves and his fingertips-cut-off gloves. Then I got to work on the head.

I started with a white Styrofoam wig stand. I cut off the lips and filled in the hole with mortician's wax, then covered the whole thing with two layers of toilet paper and Liquid Latex tinted with acrylic craft paint. Then I used acrylic craft paints (some mixed with LL) to do the facepaint and mask. The eyebrows were created by cutting bits off the end of a black-bristled painter's brush and attaching them with LL. I dirtied him up with backyard dirt and put on some more LL-laced paint until I was happy with the effect.

The scalp is a standard bald cap with synthetic hair (stiffened/colored with acrylic paint) hot-glued on. Around the edges I used mortician's wax and Aged Blood (to give him the appropriate "I'm wearing someone else's scalp" look).

Next step is to figure out how to animate him! I just got my first Arduino board and a little servo and some red LEDs, so I'm hoping I can figure out how to make his head turn and have the red lights flash when someone steps on a pressure pad nearby.

I know he's not perfect but I'm happy with how he turned out, because there's no way I would have been able to manage something like this two years ago. Yay for improvement! (And yay for creepy clowns!)

Twisty's head:

12079467_10153003573217260_4863530768058975436_n.jpg

Twisty's body (partially hidden behind a door, which is where he'll be when guests come to visit):

12028932_10152985722007260_715191658_n.jpg

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,604 Posts
That looks great! We're doing a circus theme this year and will have a Twisty character included as well. Your prop will definitely creep people out!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts