Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - been a while since I have posted - mostly I just lurk and see what wonderful stuff everyone else is doing. I thought I would pop in to get some ideas about the family theme for this year Twisted/Horror Alice in Wonderful. My daughter got to pick and this is what she wanted. She wants to be The White Rabbit, which seems fairly simple. I can make her a demented, monster white rabbit. My problem comes when trying to figure out things for everyone else. We have a total of 7 people (3 males, 4 females ranging in age from 61 to 12). I don’t know Alice that well, other than the old Disney version. I have seen one of the new Tim Burton ones. These are really the only characters I can think of, but I’m having a hard time thinking how to make them horror-fied.

Cheshire Cat – Oldest Daughter has claimed
Red Queen
Mad Hatter
Alice
White Rabbit – Other Daughter Claimed
Red King
Playing Card Knights
Tweddle Dee and Dum
March Hare

I looked through some old posts and saw where other members had done dark Alice parties and stuff, but didn’t really find much in the way of costuming ideas. A friend told me to look up American McGee's Alice, which I did but didn’t get that many costume ideas from it. Any ideas?

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,793 Posts
All of these could be turned quite sinister just through a bit of dark makeup and the right props.

I'd go undead/zombie type for the Card Knights. Ace of Spades at the very least should be in your group. This one would be the easiest to make since it's mostly a large painted sandwich board front and back and you could have them wear black top/bottom/shoes and slap a plastic knight's helmet on and then just do some zombie makeup.

Tweedle Dum/Dee could be ONE person, with an added on head (mannequin or foam for weight), like conjoined twins. Super weird and creepy especially if the fake head twin part was made up to look dead... Dum is dead! You could even add names on the collar like in the Disney movie and make them "Dee" and "Dead" instead. :)

Red Queen must carry an axe. She is a homicidal maniac and quite, quite mad really after all...

Red King is really not a major character at all... I'd go with the Caterpillar before I'd do the Red King, especially if anyone in your group vapes, that should be their character. They should be a twisted, caterpillar with the rows of arms, and glare/stare at everyone... Good link for what I mean about the arms here.

Alice could be like a broken doll - makeup effect or mask - cracked face like this or ventriloquist dummy sort of face. Cutesy doll dress, but carrying a bottle with oversized label "drink me" and could also add a large graphic image of the poison skull and crossbones too.

March Hare (meh, wouldn't do as the White Rabbit is enough Leporidae)

White Rabbit, Cheshire Cat - several options:
• rabid animals - typical wild animal type stuff with bloody claws and fangs and such.
• places like Walmart have carried oversized animal masks and I know I've seen a rabbit and cat before and they could be quite unnerving to dress in "normal" dressy clothing (like the white rabbit needs to wear dress pants, fancy vest with oversized watch and dress shirt maybe with a bow tie).

Mad Hatter - obviously oversized hat with the tag in the hatband, but I'd also make them up with lots of skeleton/skull touches on their outfit and make sure their makeup looks quite crazy. Oversized scissors or needle (not real ones, make out of foamcore or cardboard and foil or silver paint) would be super cool as a creepy weapon prop.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much Frankie!

I really love the Dee and Dead idea. I will have to do a little looking into it to see how I can construct the "fake" head and attach it.

I figured I would give the Red Queen an axe and a severed head....something really evil looking. I am just not sure how to present her otherwise- maybe as you suggest and a psycho serial killer is good enough! :eek:

I really had not thought about the Caterpillar at all because of the arm issue...and I was stumped on how to make him look creepy. The link did help on how to make the arms. That does not seem hard at all. Now just have to figure out the makeup.

My daughter suggested the "broken doll" Alice as well, so I think I will run with that and see what happens.

The White Rabbit I am pretty sure I can do easily. I have been looking for the giant mask/head or a rabbit for a few weeks with no luck. I was able to find a couple online but they are a little pricey but that is exactly what I was thinking.

That's a great idea for the Hatter - I like the pins and scissors idea. Maybe I can figure out how to make a few giant pins/needles and have them poking out of his body in places.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
239 Posts
That's a great idea for the Hatter - I like the pins and scissors idea. Maybe I can figure out how to make a few giant pins/needles and have them poking out of his body in places.
i was JUST at spirit halloween today, and they have GIANT plastic scissors in their weapons section. i don't think they work, but they don't necessarily have to?

big pins are easy! thick aluminum wire with styrofoam balls on the end! just paint the balls with pearlized paints, and they'll look like giant sewing pins. 😄

they also had parts for a cheshire cat costume and alice's dress. i feel like you could add some tears to clothes, dirty them up with powder tempera paints, and then maybe a little fake blood to bring home the twists?

alice in wonderland is kind of like an LSD trip i've heard, so maybe whoever's being alice could have some little red dots on their inner elbows and some blush there to make the area look enflamed? and some blush around their eyes with a pink eye pencil on the water line as well, so they look sleep deprived and kinda strung out?

if you want to go that way, that is.
i like the broken doll idea too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts