Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is one of those "why didn't I think of that" posts... it's so easy.

If you're like me, you probably have some awesome Halloween pillar candles collecting dust because you can't bring yourself to light them. The easy solution is to turn it into an LED candle. Just use a 1.5" forstner drill bit to hollow out the wax (or you might be able to just burn the candle down a bit) and insert an LED tea light. I prefer the ones with the built in timers so you can set it and let it do its thing for about a month before you have to change the batteries. Now you can "use" your candles year after year! Cheap, easy, and fun to make!

I haven't experimented with inserting a real tea light candle for the actual flame effect. I'm not sure if it would get too hot and melt the pillar candle wax, but I'm going to look into that in the future.

I also use this technique with dollar store candles and use them around the house. I just drill it a bit deeper and sink in the tea light.

Anyway, here's a video on how I do it:

·
Registered
913 Posts
This is a wonderful idea! I too am asking why didn’t I think of that. Thank you for the video!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Great idea but dangerous as hell the way you're doing it. A slip of the hand and you've got a spinning blade of death headed for your soft fleshy parts. Set the candle down like you did at the end. Find a way to secure it from spinning. Don't hold it with a rag - if the drill gets loose and catches that bad things can happen.

I'm not criticizing your idea - it's great. Just be safe!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts