Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys!I recently got my hours cut back and have been trying to find new ways to keep busy. I've done art, binged some shows, tried new recipes, and most recently started making cloth masks because of a shortage in my region of PPE (both surgical and nonsurgical). I know they're not much, but constructing them has brought me peace of mind. What're you all doing in light of the situation in order to keep busy?

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,773 Posts
First thing I did was purge, donate, re-arrange, straighten, & label all the Halloween/Christmas/other holiday stuff in the basement storage room.We had some plumbing stuff done & it was going to be done in that room so I HAD to do all that & it makes me ridiculously happy that I now know what I have down there & when I go to put away the Easter stuff I know exactly where that storage box is right now. I can easily put my hands on everything down there & that feels so good.

Next up is gardening. We've got some beds that have been neglected for a few years & spring as come early enough that I can get into them now before they're completely overgrown & that's exactly what I'm doing.

I'm pretty sure that we now have ALL THE ROCKS!! Because that's what I've been moving, ALL THE ROCKS!! Football sized rocks, potato sized rocks & a few other types we've used for edging the beds & we used waaaay too many in spots.

Of course I am now physically paying for this work so it's move rocks & mulch one day, recover & flake the next, work some more, flake the next day. In between the rainy days of course.

There's a finite time for that outdoor stuff so when we're done with all that I'm off to my craft room aka The Great Pile of Crap, aka A Ginormous Craft Hoard. It's a hot mess & once I'm done gardening that's the next hot spot.

Once the craft hoard is contained I plan on doing some sort of Halloween craft/art/build.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First thing I did was purge, donate, re-arrange, straighten, & label all the Halloween/Christmas/other holiday stuff in the basement storage room.We had some plumbing stuff done & it was going to be done in that room so I HAD to do all that & it makes me ridiculously happy that I now know what I have down there & when I go to put away the Easter stuff I know exactly where that storage box is right now. I can easily put my hands on everything down there & that feels so good.

Next up is gardening. We've got some beds that have been neglected for a few years & spring as come early enough that I can get into them now before they're completely overgrown & that's exactly what I'm doing.

I'm pretty sure that we now have ALL THE ROCKS!! Because that's what I've been moving, ALL THE ROCKS!! Football sized rocks, potato sized rocks & a few other types we've used for edging the beds & we used waaaay too many in spots.

Of course I am now physically paying for this work so it's move rocks & mulch one day, recover & flake the next, work some more, flake the next day. In between the rainy days of course.

There's a finite time for that outdoor stuff so when we're done with all that I'm off to my craft room aka The Great Pile of Crap, aka A Ginormous Craft Hoard. It's a hot mess & once I'm done gardening that's the next hot spot.

Once the craft hoard is contained I plan on doing some sort of Halloween craft/art/build.
Aww, I mean at least stuff got done? Also I feel you on the craft room mountain mess. Mine has been pretty messy...but good luck to you on that!

·
Registered
675 Posts
One thing I've been getting back into is creating art and writing. For a long time I couldn't get any idea's on what kind of art to create. Right now I am simply creating nature art and focusing on things to stay positive. Anytime I am working on it, I feel very relaxed and content with life. Next, I think I will write a short story of some sort, I am not sure what it'll be yet though. If anyone is interested, I will keep you updated! :) Thanks for sharing your work with us! It looks lovely!

·
The Haunting Girl
878 Posts
Unfortunately I've been battling my mystery illness and it has left me with very little energy to get things done. My husband just took a new job that will let him work from home so we've been packing up my studio/Halloween room to switch the rooms around (we have to flip the living room and my room). I'm still required to put in some kind of time for my job as well. We've been trying to get the house cleaned up too since we plan to move at some point in the near future. So between all of that I'm not getting much done for Halloween even though I want to.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,773 Posts
I cleaned my oven.

Cleaned.

My.

Oven.

No, I haven't run outta things to do, but it was one of those things that needed doing & I kept putting it off & putting it off, thus making the job even harder. I do keep a liner in the bottom for spills but the sides & back had gotten gross.

The oven is possibly from 1958, maybe later, but either way it still works. Wait, that's not true, I just found out last year, our 15th year (or so) in the house, that the broiler doesn't work which apparently doesn't matter since it took me 15 years to figure that out.

Anyhooo.. after 2 days, a half a can of Easy Off Fume Free & a LOT of elbow grease on the oven racks (I store my cast iron skillets in the oven for ease of use & lack of space so the racks get pretty grody), it is now the cleanest its been since we moved in!!

I'm also doing some paper mache projects & spending an hour or so every other day in the craft room de-crapping & finding things I'd forgotten I had.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Lots of cleaning & weeding. I've got major plans for the garden this year
I'm planting all of these zinnias in the front garden for a beautiful display. Hopefully covid will end by then but people will still be able to enjoy the flowers while being socially distant.

Attachments

·
The Haunting Girl
878 Posts
I cleaned my oven.

Cleaned.

My.

Oven.

No, I haven't run outta things to do, but it was one of those things that needed doing & I kept putting it off & putting it off, thus making the job even harder. I do keep a liner in the bottom for spills but the sides & back had gotten gross.
I need to clean my oven, but I've been putting it off too. It's going to be a nightmare and I lack the heavy duty cleaning chemicals to do it. I decided awhile ago that if I didn't buy things before the lockdown then I'd just have to make do or wait. I'm still not sure where the oven falls in that yet.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,773 Posts
Oven cleaner shouldn't be hard to get right now & even if you had to order it online you could probably wait a couple of weeks for it since it's not a high priority for you.

Checksamazon...nope, not "currently unavailable", still on 2 day (or less) shipping:

I'm back to working & weeding outside before the 2 day deluge we're getting tomorrow & Friday.

·
Registered
37 Posts
By now shouldn't an oven be able to know when it needs cleaning and just do it itself. I mean seriously, if the fridge can order it’s own milk, why can’t the oven start pulling it’s own weight too.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I am an essential worker, therefore, I have been pretty much working full time. I hope to be able to de-clutter my Halloween/Christmas stuff very soon, to make room for new Halloween stuff.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts