Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a prop I wanted to buy when it first came out a few years ago. Spencers/Spirit carried it and it sold for $150.00. The ones I looked at were all flawed in some way; cracked legs or surfaces, etc.. Needless to say I passed on it for the price, but this year decided to try and build one out of foam. With a few modifications, it's shaping up but I'm hoping to finish it by Halloween. Here's the original "crypt table".

I used two inch foam board for the base and top sections, both of which are two pieces glued together. I routed out a slot in each for the center upright support.

The center slab is also two inch foam. It will have a Terror Syndicate skull in the center. I've since carved some detail into it like cracks, etc..

I struggled over how to make the legs, but opted to use three inch pvc pipe for stability. The other challenge was how to attach them to the table. I like the detailed bases on the original and tried to carve foam but it didn't turn out quite like I had hoped. Finally thought of using wood, which could be routed and shaped accordingly and would also hold up better than foam. I cut eight pieces of 6 inch square poplar and routed the edges. I then cut eight clircles to fit inside each square, and also routed those using the same bit. This gave me the detail I was after.

The cirlces are glued to the squares and will be drilled out with a hole saw to accomodate the pvc legs. The squares will then be glued to the top/bottom pieces of the table.

That's where I'm at so far. Hope to have the legs installed and the thing assembled next week and I can paint it up in time for Halloween.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very, very nice! Thanks for the tutorial. This would look great in my graveyard next year.
Thanks! Plan to use some of your aging techniques on this one!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts