Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get the most out of my digital downloads in 1080p. I have the new AtmosFX Holiday Digital Projector. For HD decoration files, must I use my laptop with an HDMI cable to the projector to maximize the resolution and get the best possible projected image? Please help!

Scarab

·
Registered
683 Posts
Using the HDMI cable will get you the best possible picture between your laptop and projector. However the outgoing resolution from the projector will only be downscaled to 480p, not 1080p as shown on your laptop. It will still be good, but you will see noticeable improvements with a higher resolution projector.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, the new AtmosFear projector is native 800x480 and a maximum through HDMI of 1080p. I was just making sure that an HDMI from a laptop to the projector was the best possible way to get everything out of a 1080p file.

Scarab

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a great response. I just asked that very question to AtmosFear. I will post their reply when I receive it. Thanks for giving me food for thought!

Scarab

·
black light queen
2,542 Posts
yeah, what victor-eyd said ... 1080 into the projector but only 480 out :-(

you could have purchased the dvd, which is 480, and have gotten more content for the $ than purchasing the download(s)

personally, i get the dvds & up-sample them to 1080 ... no its not a good as the "real" 1080, but its very close :)

amk

·
Registered
66 Posts

you could have purchased the dvd, which is 480, and have gotten more content for the $ than purchasing the download(s)

personally, i get the dvds & up-sample them to 1080 ... no its not a good as the "real" 1080, but its very close :)

amk
Thanks for this comment. I wasn't aware of that.

·
black light queen
2,542 Posts
Thanks for this comment. I wasn't aware of that.
i use hd video converter factory pro ...

they have a trial, that'll convert videos up to a certain time length ... i'm thinking it might be 5 minutes or so ... which is perfect because all/most halloween videos are less than that

i did end up purchasing it ... just wanted to support them for producing a quality product :)

amk

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AtmosFear confirmed that it does downgrade a 1080p signal to the native resolution of the printer. They also said, however, that producing that signal from a laptop through an HDMI cable to the printer allows the resolution to be processed on the laptop instead of the projector, which helps to produce a slightly better image.

Scarab

·
Registered
207 Posts

amk
How do you upsample something, and why do it if you are using a projector (maybe you're using a TV or something)?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Upscaling was a technique used back in the day when projection resolution was superior to tv, laserdisc,and vhs resolution. The premise was simply to try to hget as much information onto the projection so as few scan lines could be seen, which usually degraded the look of the video when projected. It worked well when we all had those types of playback equipment until we started getting blu ray and hd signals, at which point these "cheats" fell by the wayside when comparing against superior native resolution.

DVDs can benefit somewhat when played through a upscaled machine. Some like it, other feel it adds more distracting artifacts and in that regard, degraded the image when viewed. I myself had something called a line doubler that upscaled these video sourced when I played then on my vga projector a few years ago. But now with hd video available everywhere, its not needed anymore. Now its the opppsite: Everyone's trying to max out native resolution on their projectors so the incoming hd signal doesn't look lousy compared to their flatscreen tvs and lcd monitors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts