Halloween Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi any ideas on filling latex gloves?? I have the exit of a haunted house very narrow and want people to squeeze through filled latex gloves to get out……spray foam maybe? Any help is appreciated!!!

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,484 Posts
My thoughts on this is that maybe Sspray foam will expand too much & burst the gloves. You'd have to fill them very slowly & carefully.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I recently tried filling a mask with expanding foam. It was a disaster. When it expanded it caused a huge bulge of air and uncured (liquid) foam. I tried puncturing it to let the pressure out and that didn't work. I ended up cutting a huge hole in the mask (approximately 3"X2") and then using filler to resculpt the missing section. It was a horrible mess. I imagine the rubber gloves will be even thinner and more prone to weird bulges and possibly popping. I would try to think of something else.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You can use backer rod, just cut to the length of the gloves and insert. You can warm it a little with a heat gun to bend/shape the fingers or add some wire (soft bendable wire, not something that could poke through and hurt someone. Id use 5/8-1" to fill the fingers out. Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Rim Tread

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
You can use backer rod, just cut to the length of the gloves and insert. You can warm it a little with a heat gun to bend/shape the fingers or add some wire (soft bendable wire, not something that could poke through and hurt someone. Id use 5/8-1" to fill the fingers out. View attachment 751696
Personally I'd just buy prop Hands from one of the Halloween websites (or Target, or At Home, or Big Lots, or Michael's after they go on sale - if they have them, just throwing out store names where they might have them inexpensively). You could definitely get them for $3-4 each on sale if you looked around, were patient. Is your time really worth the effort to make them? If you do want to make, you would use non-expanding foam, but even then you can't just fill a latex glove to get a proper hand. You'd need a mold. You could make one with papier mache, I guess, but, if I had to make some hands, I would use two actual prop hands (hollow plastic), left and right, cut off the wrist, slice them in half (top and bottom...wouldn't be easy to do) then put them back together, elastic around, and fill with the non-expanding foam, taking care to get down into the fingers. Regular expanding foam would probably work. You would have to line the inside every time with either a thin latex glove, or some substance that the foam wouldn't adhere to. Maybe Vaseline? But that sounds like a lot of work when you could just buy prop hands. Best would be to root around Spirit on the two days after Halloween and get costume monster latex gloves, then fill them with foam.

When I first started out in the Halloween game I tried to fill latex gloves with foam and it was a disaster.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi any ideas on filling latex gloves?? I have the exit of a haunted house very narrow and want people to squeeze through filled latex gloves to get out……spray foam maybe? Any help is appreciated!!!
Sounds like a very creepy exit! Reminds me of the helping hands in The Labyrinth! "She said dooown!"

Alan Hopps/Stiltbeast has a video with a type of foam used for setting fence posts that seemed to work very well. Check out his "Foam Filling Masks with Home Depot Foam" video on the 'tube. He is filling a cast mask which is a thicker product than just your average latex glove, but if you're looking for other glove options Harbor Freight has a variety of thicknesses of latex gloves to choose from.

·
Registered
794 Posts
There are flexible expanding foam products like FlexFoam from SmoothOn. They come in different densities, they can be tinted, and they are a 2 part foam that requires precision weighing (like a digital scale).

One thing I really like about your latex glove idea is that you should be able to clean the exterior of each hand easily if you leave the gloves on - unlike using raw foam without the latex covering.

Or, consider the fake hands for manicurists to practice on. For $6/hand it is hard to beat:

Casting your own hands is hard and costly. The 2 part foam mixes have to be used within weeks or a couple months of buying the stuff so unless you can commit to making a few dozen hands in that time, you shouldn't buy in bulk (ask me how I know).

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,175 Posts
For what it's worth, Allen Hopps did a short bit on filling latex gloves with spray foam in his dirt cheap 'weeping angel' build, and might give you a sense of how it could be approached, what to expect, and how to control the shaping as the foam expands.

I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're going for, but maybe it's a start (the glove bit begins at the 4:06 mark):

·
Captain o'th Black Pearl
Wit' a name o' CaptainJackSparrow, i shall give ya a 'int, it naught be kitties, savvy?
2,045 Posts
seems to me spray foam, the expanding kind, is just making gloves that are jus' gonna expand an pop. I would go with silicone caulk, like the windows kind, the type that does naught dry, remains plyable .. bu' tha's jus' me ..

·
Registered
214 Posts
If you are filling gloves, go with the Great Stuff Window and Door (blue can). It's a minimally expanding foam with a low-pressure build that remains soft & flexible after curing. I prefer it when I'm working with filling gaps on props, etc. I think that inside of 9 mil nitrile gloves (like the black ones from Harbor Freight) it would work well.

• Love
Reactions: Restless Acres

·
Registered
356 Posts
Great Stuff will not cure in a sealed environment. The part that is exposed to air will solidify but the inside will be gooey. You don't want them leaking un-cured foam on people's clothes.

·
The Haunting Girl
1,004 Posts
Not to be a party pooper, but some people are allergic to latex. If you can get them, you might consider nitrile gloves, but I think the prop hands would be creepier.
I was going to say this, but halloweenscreamqueen beat me to it. Latex is an extremely common allergy and is known as a cumulative exposure type of allergy. Basically, the more you are exposed to latex products the more likely you are to become allergic to it. I second using nitrile or another type of glove instead.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Great Stuff will not cure in a sealed environment. The part that is exposed to air will solidify but the inside will be gooey. You don't want them leaking un-cured foam on people's clothes.
Good point - however, you can force it to cure by spraying some water onto it as you fill. Add some, spritz, add some, spritz, etc. Great Stuff actually cures using the water in the air, so spraying it quickens that curing process.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Things you could try to use as fill:

1. old pillow filling
2. Old clothes - shredded and stuffed into gloves
3. Foam peanuts.
4. Toilet paper
5. Trash bags

I’m also envisioning those made hands attached to cheap plungers that act like a spring on a wall…lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts