Halloween Forum banner
1 - 5 of 28 Posts

· Grand Poobah
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been a TOUGH couple years...

Started a new job last spring that took me away from my family (and brand new baby boy) for 4 months, and we lived in temporary housing until the week of Halloween... then we moved into a rental house, so we only put out a couple things. First time in 6 years we didn't have our big annual bash, too.

This year, we are still in the rental house and our old house has yet to sell some 16 months later. It has been hard to get into the spirit. Normally I would have been working on a new project and prepping hard in the garage by now. I have yet to do one thing. A few months ago, I went thru my stuff with great intentions but never followed thru.

I haven't even had the stomach to shop around and see what's out there... normally I'm prowling around looking for the first sightings and stalking websites for new releases!

I need some inspiration! Anybody struggling with motivation? I've been wanting to plan our party, but in a new town I'm not sure what type of turnout we'd get, and it would be mostly work associates...

· Grand Poobah
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Co-workers are all pretty cool (well, mostly) and would at least act like they would come. I get the vibe there would be a lot of last-minute de-comits as schedules change.

Our neighbor are awesome. They invited us to a huge block party last year on HW night, among other things. I can see them coming to a party, but they also all have lots of kids... which makes scheduling tough, as they pretty much seem to use the same sitters.

My invites are ALWAYS awesome. ;-) In the past, we have done a mix of email and mailed postcards very professionally designed by MOI.

Will start putting together some guest lists and see if I can get a vibe from them during conversations at work. (I did win $50 in the work deco contest last year...so they know I'm into it.)

· Grand Poobah
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Eventually the house will sell, but right now we are priced at our break even point. Ugh.

We were one of those stupid people who had a home equity line and then saw our house value drop by around $60k.

I did go to Netherworld here in ATL last year via a group event here. Only 3 of us showed up, though! Maybe this year will be nicer.

We set up Hallowindow and some black light ghouls in all the windows and got tons of comments on it... if they only knew. HA. I pulled out the pneumatic stuff but since I didn't have time to test it and tweak it, I just canned it for 2008.

Just watched a Home Improvement HW episode... so I'm getting a little more stoked!

· Grand Poobah
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think this house would set up nicely... but we don't have a huge porch outside to set up our tunnel of terror. Maybe it's time for a garage walk thru?

Honestly, our thing has always been a huge party and TOTers second, mainly due to where we lived. Our current house is in a primo TOT location...

Some of you are newer to the forum than my last posting spree... but we do a graveyard setup with lots of mood lighting (HHIAB...no debates), and several pneumatic props. The bulk of our work is inside. We HW up EVERYTHING. No picture goes un-replaced. No toilet paper roll goes un-pranked. You get the jist.

Maybe when it cools off to less than the surface of the sun, I'll spend a weekend in the garage.

· Grand Poobah
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Involuntary landlords...

We also became involuntary landlords. We are (were) losing around $700 per month by renting it out, but that's better than losing it all. Too boot, our tenants moved out 6 months into the lease without notice. They have paid rent until now, we are hoping they fulfill their commitment...but it is always late and always dicey. They were good tenants while they were there. Found OUR house listed for rent on Craigslist by them! I replied to the ad asking them to remove and sent several notices to CL and they never replied or took it down.

Can you imagine? Someone listing YOUR property for sale or rent?

I can definitly relate, same deal for me, home equity line falling value. Tried to sell for a long time but got to a point where I either had to rent it or let the bank have it. So as much as I did not want to I became a landlord. Plus I was so excited this year that I was getting lined up to have my first pro haunt but between the charity dropping the ball and the fire inspector making things impossible thats not happening either. I moved from a large house and yard to a small trailer park just before halloween last year so cant do anything here.
And work has sucked this year as well. But I still have my spirit, and big dreams and ideas for the future. Keep your head up there are many of us in the same boat but there will be many great halloweens to come.

1 - 5 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.