Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all,

I'm working with my contact at Spirit Halloween to try to source leftover Try Me Button activators. Unfortunately he was only able to unearth two of them. Does anyone have any personally or know a site that still sells these now out of date activators?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any type of mechanical contact switch would work.
Agreed but I haven't found any that have sizeable interfaces like the spring powered button that Spirit sells. Essentially the story behind this is I can't stand the STEP HERE pads because the activator is so easily missed or simply doesn't contact well because the switch is so bloody small inside such a large area space (the pad). So what I've done with the remaining TRY ME buttons I have is splice the new dual activators that Spirit sells (which of course are step pads) and simply run it directly to one of the physical TRY ME buttons. The TRY ME buttons work every time when pressed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ideally yes...but that of course is what I'm trying to source. If you try to add that to your cart you can't because the SKU is sold out (they no longer have these in stock for sale).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Once again appreciated but I already checked eBay before posting on this forum as well. As you can see there aren't any available for sale on eBay.

·
Registered
41 Posts
What I was suggesting is follow the search and receive emails so when one is listed they will send you an email letting you know there have been new items listed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Realistically speaking I'd like to swap out any of my current animatronics that use the old step pads, then have a reserve for future props. Ideally I would find say 20-25? I think I have around a dozen animatronics currently that use the step pad, and I add roughly 3-5 new pieces each year (only started in 2010).

·
Registered
500 Posts
Agreed but I haven't found any that have sizeable interfaces like the spring powered button that Spirit sells. Essentially the story behind this is I can't stand the STEP HERE pads because the activator is so easily missed or simply doesn't contact well because the switch is so bloody small inside such a large area space (the pad). So what I've done with the remaining TRY ME buttons I have is splice the new dual activators that Spirit sells (which of course are step pads) and simply run it directly to one of the physical TRY ME buttons. The TRY ME buttons work every time when pressed.
Unfortunately, I don't know of any good sources for big buttons for less than $10 a piece, but I do want to make sure you're on the right track with this: the step pads Spirit sells these days (so definitely the dual activators) don't use simple switches, they actually use little piezoelectric vibration sensors that generate a small electrical signal when disturbed. If they've got the plug you want, that's fine to cannibalize, but the sockets on the animatronics that are meant for step pads are expecting that electrical signal, not a switch closure. Sometimes a switch closure is enough to set off a piezo-type step pad plug (I know people who have had luck triggering jumping spiders this way), but it's not necessarily going to be reliable. On the other hand, if the animatronic has a real, separate "try me" button socket, then they all still do use the normal switch method.

If you're already aware of all this, sorry for the repetition - I just wanted to make sure you didn't end up getting frustrated if things don't behave the way you expect.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
My problem isn't the switches, but the wire connectors. 10 years ago, I could look at those damned 2-pin connectors and give an accurate technical description that would let me find them with ease, but I can't do that now. So I instead went and bought 500 prewired pairs of 2-pin connector of my choosing (locking to eliminate accidental disconnects!) to rewire all the remote trigger connectors on my store-bought props.

Anyway, have you considered the homemade cardboard and aluminum foil trigger pads? The foils forms two vast contact surfaces, so basically the entire pad works as a trigger, minus about a 1 1/2 inch border around the edge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually I was completely unaware of this...and surprised my contact at Spirit didn't mention it. That being said, when I spliced my first test TRY ME to the new "piezoelectric" pad I used it on an animatronic that was supposed to use the piezo, the 2013 Bag of Jokes. It worked flawlessly without hiccups. My problem with the step pads as I've already mentioned is you have a dime sized sensor in a pad that bigger than the size of my hand. I watch so many of my Halloween guests step on the step pads without it working at all! Every time they press the TRY ME button however it works every time! My electrical knowledge is very slim at best so excuse the ignorance of my question, but are we sure that it's only 'sometimes' that a switch closure will set off a piezo? Perhaps what I should do is try my spliced creation on every animatronic I want to use that style pad on and if I have the same success as the Bag of Jokes than I can safely and rationally presume my spliced creation will work for that piece...?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts