Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Master Crypt Keeper
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed different opinions regarding a Trunk or Treat event.

"People gather and park their cars in a large parking lot. They open their trunks or the backs of their vehicles and decorate them. Then they pass out candy from their trunks. The event provides a safe family environment for trick or treaters."

I have heard that this happens especially in large cities and areas where people do not go house to house.

I have seen where malls open where kids go from store to store to get candy. To me, this makes sense in a un-safe neighborhood (gang areas etc), but I am not sure about trunk or treating. There appears to be no way to know who these people are.

Has anybody seen these or participated? What do you think?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Not really sure of the trunk or treating thing. I remember when I was young and trick or treating the mall and most banks would hand out candy. Plus we had all of the neighborhoods, but that was back when there were not as many psychos out there that wanted to hand out crystal meth pop rocks and crap..

·
Registered
330 Posts
I love crystal meth pop rocks! Especially the cherry flavored ones!

Seriously, though, my sister does the Trunk of Treat thing every year at her church. It's wildly popular and everyone knows each other because of the whole religion things. It's not my deal, but it works for them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have done the trunk or treat with my church and its alot of fun we always do it before halloween as to not take away from the good old door to door I like the idea because it gives more candy

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,605 Posts
If done on a day other than Halloween, I don't have issue with it. These events are widely sponsored by churches and in many cases they hold them on Halloween night as an "alternative" to traditional trick or treating. This is where I have a problem. I see it as religion once again believing they have the "right answer" and that traditional tot'ing is somehow wrong/unsafe/etc.. Part of me thinks that it's a way churches atempt to condemn Halloween practices. Another part of me thinks is an easy out for some lazy a$$ parents who don't want to expend a little effort taking their childen on traditional tot rounds, like their parents did when they were little. Even those who hold it on a night other than Halloween can often discourage traditional tot'ing, as the parents say to the kids "well we already got a nice bag of treats the other night, so we're not going out again." I simply have issues with organized religion attempting to change the way people celebrate traditional Halloween. Trunk or Treat, Fall Festivals, "safe alternatives". C'mon, it's Halloween! Let the kids enjoy walking door to door (parents accompanying them if need be) through the crunchy leaves, getting a bit scared, seeing the decorations and displays, then going home all tired but happy, sorting through the loot and having some great memories. Stop robbing kids of age old traditions! Stepping down now.

·
Purely and Simply....EVIL
949 Posts
If done on a day other than Halloween, I don't have issue with it. These events are widely sponsored by churches and in many cases they hold them on Halloween night as an "alternative" to traditional trick or treating. This is where I have a problem. I see it as religion once again believing they have the "right answer" and that traditional tot'ing is somehow wrong/unsafe/etc.. Part of me thinks that it's a way churches atempt to condemn Halloween practices. Another part of me thinks is an easy out for some lazy a$$ parents who don't want to expend a little effort taking their childen on traditional tot rounds, like their parents did when they were little. Even those who hold it on a night other than Halloween can often discourage traditional tot'ing, as the parents say to the kids "well we already got a nice bag of treats the other night, so we're not going out again." I simply have issues with organized religion attempting to change the way people celebrate traditional Halloween. Trunk or Treat, Fall Festivals, "safe alternatives". C'mon, it's Halloween! Let the kids enjoy walking door to door (parents accompanying them if need be) through the crunchy leaves, getting a bit scared, seeing the decorations and displays, then going home all tired but happy, sorting through the loot and having some great memories. Stop robbing kids of age old traditions! Stepping down now.
I couldn't have said it better myself! Amen.

·
Registered
725 Posts
As the great Pen and Teller said. Your kid is more likely to be struck by lightning than to be kidnapped. I don't prescribe to stranger danger.

With that said, whats wrong with making sure your kid goes out with an adult? Its not just for their safety but to make sure they don't get into trouble. Example: A group of kids without supervision walked into my house last year and proceded to take candy from the bowl. It was innocent, but you just don't do stuff like that.

So in short, hate the organized ToTing and most americans could use a little exercise anyways. So put down the remote, get off your butt, and walk your kid around the neighborhood.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I so agree I would never want to take away the traditions I love so much with walking door to door and i tell you come halloween next year I will be a new parent and it will be my childs first halloween and we will be going door to door with our child and my nephew all dressed up as well. Its just what we do no way would I ever want to take that away Like I said I like trunk or treat just because its an excuse for the kids to get candy on two days not just one

·
Registered
725 Posts
My daughters first ToT was last year. She was able to walk. It took her about 3 doors before she figured out that if you take candy from the strangers and put it in your bag, then keep doing it, your bag gets fuller! ;) This year she got a little plastic couldron and explains to us that this where the "Nummies" go daily.

Enjoy your child! ToTing with them rocks!

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
I'm with jdubbya, as well. A local church does trunk or treat each year, with big banners advertising it as "Safe Halloween". The message, of course, is that real ToT'ing is unsafe. And how do you haunt the trunk of a car, anyhow?

I know that times change, but I went out for hours when I was a kid, and never had a bit of trouble. We always checked the loot at home, mostly just to weed out the ninnies. If people are that mistrusting of their neighbors, then they need to get out and meet them on Halloween night, the one night of the year when it really is OK to knock on a stranger's door and demand goodies. And guess what - now they're not strangers anymore!

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
I think trunk or treat, along with fall festivals, are perfect for the paranoid, uban-myth believing, helicopter parents that seem to prevail in our society...

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm not a fan of trunk or treat for the reasons already stated. I don't see ToTing as being dangerous, and it is a good family activity. I have a related question? My understanding is that the poison candy and razor blades in apples being handed out on Halloween are all urban myths. The only one which actually happened (and I think started all the urban myths) was a father that poisened his own children and then tried to blame it on the Halloween candy. Is that correct, or does anyone know of actually instances of poison or other harmful things being given out to ToTs?

·
Clarification: Not A Man
1,184 Posts
Trunk or Treat has its place. Unsafe neighborhoods with high rates of kidnapping, theft, assault and random murder I can understand having a Trunk or Treat, on or off Halloween.

But what I think is wrong and giving an entire generation a bad message about traditional Trick or treating is a Trunk or Treat in an area like mine where you are more likely to have a group of turkeys attack you than a gang.

My community has a small religious group that puts on a "safe" Halloween party type assembly on Halloween as an indirect slap in the face to my family's haunt. We know its a personal attack because our neighbors are a big supporter and participant of this and they have actually attempted to divert kids away from our house and to their party. There is no need for it, our community is safe and no harm beyond a few nightmares has been cause by my family's haunt.

Trunk or Treat has its place, but most communities that have it don't need it.
I feel it is being abused by overprotective parents, religious or not, to safe guard their kids from imaginary danger.

ducdukgoose - This web site has a lot of myths busted and its own section devoted to Halloween. : snopes.com: Holidays (Halloween Legends)

·
Master Crypt Keeper
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am very happy to hear the insight of everyone on this. I really have not seen it very much. I have heard about it here and there. The "mall" thing, festivals and ToT'ing in model home neighborhoods.

The one thing that I did think was cool when I lived in Calif was where they had "Pioneer Villiage" museum where they have all of these really old buildings. Kids went building to building. I do not think kids did that instead of regular ToT'ing. I think that they did that ALSO. :)

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,289 Posts
(mostly churches doing this in my area, and just started in the last couple of years, and yes they do it on Halloween)

I find it fascinating that they think it's a "safe alternative" - while teaching small children that approaching a stranger's car and taking candy from them is a great idea. :eek:

·
Registered
668 Posts
This year my kids will go tot'ing 3 count em 3 times....

First on October 25th.... the University I goto school at Austin Peay State University does GHOST (Greater Halloween Options for Safer Trick or Treating). They do this every year and never on the actual day of Halloween. It's always on a Sunday and it is huge all of the fraternities and sororities hand out candy and they have huge amounts of kids come. They all dress up and have displays and play music it's fabulous.

Second On October 30th this year our church will be doing a Fall festival celebration and trunk or treat. I was so happy to hear that they were having this on a day other than Halloween so the kids could still go out on Halloween night. This will be the first year my kids have done a trunk or treat we tried the mall one year, but my child got less than a handful of candy as every single store claimed to be out when we got there at 5:30. I refuse to ever do that again (needless to say we went door to door as soon as we left the mall)

Third and most importantly is October 31st and we go door to door. We spend several hours out trick or treating and my oldest son who now doesn't Trick or treat hands out candy for me dressed up in my graveyard.

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
tot

I'm not a fan of trunk or treat for the reasons already stated. I don't see ToTing as being dangerous, and it is a good family activity. I have a related question? My understanding is that the poison candy and razor blades in apples being handed out on Halloween are all urban myths. The only one which actually happened (and I think started all the urban myths) was a father that poisened his own children and then tried to blame it on the Halloween candy. Is that correct, or does anyone know of actually instances of poison or other harmful things being given out to ToTs?
i understand you are exactly correct. and the candy man legend is about that father. just this one incident has made people very cautious. but then again i don't think it is bad to be cautious.
as far as tot, i loved it as a kid and love seeing it now as an adult. there are a lot of elderly people who have no visitors who look forward to this night. it is some nice interaction they don't otherwise always have. it is a fun night of deciding what you want to be, coming up with a costume, just fun going door to door. to most it is more than the candy, it is the whole concept of the night. the scares, thrills, decorations, haunts, make believe, costumes, sounds, smells, and going to sleep dog tired with a big smile on ones face.
in the one city close to us the mall passes out candy, but they do it early enough one can still tot. and i don't think they are trying to stop tot. just want to participate in the holiday.
in the city on the other side of us they do a spook walk. i have in the past helped there. they usually don't do it on halloween night and it is a blast. again it is just the businesses wanting to participate in the holiday.
in the small town i previously lived in, one of the churches there would do a party the night of halloween to advert the kids. i had my haunt kiddie corner from the church and had more kids at that haunt after their event got over than at the other 2 locations i occupied in later years. the kids usually hit the party but still got some quality time out and about before or after going to the party. lol
HAPPY HALLOWEEN

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,289 Posts
Happened here - Houston, TX in 1974. They called him the Pixie Stix Killer. He put poisoned pixie stixs in his son's candy to collect an insurance policy he took out on the kid. Not only was he a horribly evil person for doing that to his own child, but he was stupid enough to brag about how he was going to be coming into money soon to his coworkers right before it happened... which led police to suspect him right from the start.

They still don't celebrate Halloween much in Deer Park (area in Houston where it happened). :( My husband was not allowed to go TOT except to a few known houses in his neighborhood.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts