Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past, Trunk or Treating events have gotten a pretty bad rap here on the forum. People tend to see such events as an attempt on the part of churches, schools and communities in general to replace traditional trick or treating on Halloween night with something a little more benign and controllable. And in a lot of cases, those suspicions tend to be true. But at the church I often attend, Kensington Christian Church in Orlando, Florida, the annual Trunk or Treat event on the last Sunday in October isn't an attempt to blindside or eliminate Halloween, it's just one more event to add to the fun of the total holiday in general. Of course me and my friend Rose take the event to an extreme, trying to see just how far you can go decorating the trunk of your parked car. So I made this video to vindicate this unusual Halloween event, because in the four years we've been doing it, it has been nothing but fun. Additionally, the custom decorations we build for the event generally winds up in our home haunt, so it's a win situation! So check out the video and let me know what you think!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think trunk or treat is an added bonus to Halloween events especially when you have small ones. I would’ve totally went all out just like you. I love it!

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,519 Posts
My wife's cousin teaches at a neighborhood elementary school and they hold a trunk or treat every year the Friday before Halloween. It's in the evening and the teachers decorate their cars for the students/families. I help her every year and we change the theme up each year. It's a fun event, and as you said, just something to add to the fun of the season and not take the place of traditional TOT. I also get to promote our own haunt a bit and many of the kids that attend know our house very well! Your video is great and the decorations are really wonderful. Good stuff!

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,610 Posts
Around here they tend to do the Trunk or Treats (the few there are) long before the big night. I have zero problems with them as long as they aren't trying to replace ToTing & Halloween because that stuff is "evil" or some other such nonsense.

I'm with you, go for it, go big or go home! Have fun with it! Why not? They're also a "thing" at this point whether we like it or not because places like Oriental Trading sell pre-made kits now.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Here they are definitely an attempt to subvert Halloween as are all the "fall festival' events put on by churches. I am glad yours isn't trying to destroy Halloween, but I still have a really negative reaction to the concept because of where I grew up.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,610 Posts
That's totally understandable lilibat.

I wish it were just another cool Halloween event everywhere for everyone because it really does seem like fun & yet another way for kids to dress up & get treats. So far in my area that's what it is, just another Halloween event.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here they are definitely an attempt to subvert Halloween as are all the "fall festival' events put on by churches.
I don't know about that. The fall festival St. Margret Mary Catholic Church put on back home in California was just fun. It was usually the last weekend before Halloween just like Kensington's Trunk of Treat event. They even had a haunted house one year. And the fall festival at Lomita Park on Halloween night always involved the mayor dressing up in period costume in order to light a bonfire and burn the witch (no, it wasn't a real one...just a paper Mache dummy). The city of Manhattan Beach, California used to do a fall event called the Old Hometown Fair complete with chili cookoff. But there was still the bar crawl on Halloween night. So I haven't really ever seen any of these events that were trying to subvert the holiday.

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
574 Posts
My kids are well past the age for any of that (19 & 21) but I could see me turning my 4x8 trailer into a rolling haunted house. Trunk or Treat came after my time so I've always though of them as nothing more that another excuse to hand out candy. But I like thinking of it as an extension of the holiday, and a great chance to show off not only your build skills, but the TOTs to get more use out of costumes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't know about that. The fall festival St. Margret Mary Catholic Church put on back home in California was just fun. It was usually the last weekend before Halloween just like Kensington's Trunk of Treat event. They even had a haunted house one year. And the fall festival at Lomita Park on Halloween night always involved the mayor dressing up in period costume in order to light a bonfire and burn the witch (no, it wasn't a real one...just a paper Mache dummy). The city of Manhattan Beach, California used to do a fall event called the Old Hometown Fair complete with chili cookoff. But there was still the bar crawl on Halloween night. So I haven't really ever seen any of these events that were trying to subvert the holiday.
The mayor burning the witch? Wow! Part of me feels that's so cool, and part of me feels perhaps that's so inappropriate as these were terrible events in history. Halloween is usually fun in a public venue with fantasy monsters. I may be overthinking this, but if someone dressed up as a Nazi for halloween, it would make me uncomfortable though I admit it would be the true epitomy of a monster. Now maybe the reenactment of burning innocent people at the stake shouldn't be equated with Nazis -- I don't know. And I'm not condemning anyone who enjoys the re-enactment, it just made me pause to think as I've never even heard of this before. So no blame -- just a reflective moment :)

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,610 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts