Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some really scary movies. I've seen alot of movies and most of them I have not found scary at all. Blood and Gore is fine but I am looking for something more. I need some movies that will make me jump from my seat.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
329 Posts
I guess it depends upon what you think scary is.

If you want truly disturbing that leaves your mind racing and you squirming around in your seat looking around, then afraid to go to sleep at night that is one thing...

If you just want shock value thats something else.

If you have a specific fear of something, like for instance clowns or spiders or sharks I would find a movie that caters to that... like "It" or "Arachnophobia" "Jaws"

For a classic haunted feeling I would watch "Amityville horror", or "The Shining" "Halloween" "Poltergeist" "Carrie" "The Omen" "Friday the 13th"

For a little more upbeat 90's horror I would watch "Pet Cemetary", "Event Horizon"," Jacobs Ladder",

Kind of Corny but good shock value involves the "Nightmare on Elm Street"

Just plain weird, not really horror I like "The fly" "People under the stairs" "Sixth sense"

For downright disturbing I recommend "Exorcist" or "Texas Chainsaw Massacre"

Everyone scares just a little differently, what is corny to one person may truly send a shudder down anothers back :)

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
"an American Werewolf in London" and "Fright Night" both have their moments. It's all in the eye of the beholder, when it comes to Horror. Some folks find "Big Top Pee-Wee" deeply disturbing...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I've seen all of those.
I'm mostly looking for ones that will make me jump not neccessarily because of the gore factor.

The ones that I found most scary out of those were: The Shining, Halloween,
Pet Cemetery, Event horizon, The exorcist and Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

I also liked American Werewolf in London, FrightNight, The Ring (1st one), The Grudge (1st one).

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Descent was good!

El Orfanato ? Isn't that the same as The Orfanage?

I rented that one and when I discovered it was in all spanish, so I didn't watch it.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,445 Posts
"The Orphanage" was pretty good. I like spooky atmospheric ghost stories like that.
I bought it off E-bay and just watched it last week and I was well pleased with it. The DVD has English sub-titles also.

I'd also reccomend: "The Others" and "Stir of Echoes".

·
Registered
540 Posts
I liked "The Hills Have Eyes"(2006) and "Quarantine"(2008) was pretty good.

"The Strangers"(2008) is also quite creepy.

"[Stephen King's] The Mist"(2007) is one of those over-the-top at times, but crazy-gross-spooky-sad what-would-I-do-in-that-situation movies.

I concur with DaveintheGrave on "Stir of Echoes"

·
Creepin When Your Sleepin
1,143 Posts
You are correct there is a difference between scare and Hollywood gore.
I would have to say that most "Horror" movies are not scary I love watching them
the ones that could be "REAL" are the ones that scare me the one that pops into my mind is The Strangers (2008) and I cant think of others right now but.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The two movies that creeped me out when I was a kid and still do to this day are The original Salems Lot and phantasm. Sure ...the effects aren't very "special", pretty much on par with every other horror flick from the mid to late 70's, but the atmospehere is great in both of them. The Tall Man from Phantasm and when the Glick boy is floating outside the widow scratching on it just give me the willies!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree The Strangers was scary because of the potential real factor. I too seem to be more affected by movies that could possibly "really happen".

It seem like I've seen Stir of Echoes a long time age, don't really remember much about it. I'll probalby rent it again.

I know the ending was a let down but I found the first Blair Witch was scary.

Has anyone seen the new Friday the 13th?

I thought it had some scariness to it, more than the originals did.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I probably will rent The Orphanage again, It won't hurt me to read subtitles for 90 minutes if the movie is good.

Salem's Lit was good but i really liked all of the Phantasms.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Also, I saw "The Blair Witch Project" before the story broke that it wasn't a true story.

That's the only movie I've ever been to where not a word was said from the moment the credits began until after everyone left the theater. I haven't watched it since, so I don't know if it would still be as good. When my kids get old enough I am going to tell them it is real and make them watch it. Bu-hahaha!

·
Loathsome Crypt Dweller
951 Posts
The Changeling has a couple of good creepy moments in it, plus at least one good gasp. That's more than you get with most flicks. George C Scott is terrific in it.

·
Loathsome Crypt Dweller
951 Posts
Absolutely on the original Salem's Lot. Waaaaay underrated for creepy moments. The guy in the rocking chair is a good moment as well.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Halloween4Ever seems to have seen everything. How about a little number called "Duel"? Steven Speilberg before Jaws. Low budget, very entertaining.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Also, I saw "The Blair Witch Project" before the story broke that it wasn't a true story.

That's the only movie I've ever been to where not a word was said from the moment the credits began until after everyone left the theater. I haven't watched it since, so I don't know if it would still be as good. When my kids get old enough I am going to tell them it is real and make them watch it. Bu-hahaha!
AGREED ! blair witch is good stuff.. original , nothing seems to be original anymore

1 - 20 of 133 Posts