Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Obssessed Haunter
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Mirror mirror by imagineerieing.com....
I put it on a disk to take to my computer at our haunt. When I run it there, and try to set the background as fire or one of the other options.... the fire is kinda in blocks or boxes that rise up the screen, not the usual cool fire affect that I get on my home computer.
Also, when I bought this, I was given a code to enter so that I get out of the DEMO mode.. when I enter this, is stays in the DEMO mode.

I cant seem to find a way to get ahold of them to find out the answer to my problems. Hopefully I havent just missed seeing a way to contact them. So I just decided to see if anyone here has this and would have an idea what the answer to my 2 issues might be !!!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Try looking at the video card settinging in START, Controle Panel, Monitor or Added hardwear.
That's my best guess. Haven't set up ine yet.

·
Obssessed Haunter
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally success ! Its working.... just had to reload it. At least I got the Demo off the screen. The background is still in blocks so I will check out the video settings. But I may not use any background on it anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have Mirror mirror by imagineerieing.com

but I can't find the registration key? I got the program 3 years ago and used it for the last 2 halloweens but last year I formated my laptop and lost the program. The other day I paid for it again "cause it is a great program" but I don't have the registration key. I forgot how or where to find the key. I just have the download zip file. It's not in the .txt files, it's not in my E-mail. Can someone help me please.

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,682 Posts
Finally success ! Its working.... just had to reload it. At least I got the Demo off the screen. The background is still in blocks so I will check out the video settings. But I may not use any background on it anyway.
I think it's the graphic card.....the mirror2 & pumpkin on an older system will not run well & mirror 2 has block flames, on my mac & newer pc they run fine. Skull will run on windows 98 or higher even with lesser graf cards.....

Love them all !

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,682 Posts
I also have Mirror mirror by imagineerieing.com

but I can't find the registration key? I got the program 3 years ago and used it for the last 2 halloweens but last year I formated my laptop and lost the program. The other day I paid for it again "cause it is a great program" but I don't have the registration key. I forgot how or where to find the key. I just have the download zip file. It's not in the .txt files, it's not in my E-mail. Can someone help me please.
Once you pay, you should receive an email with the new key....... when I've emailed them, it took a couple days but they got back to me. They may not have seen the payment yet to send key.
I've written all my keys in a folder with my halloween notes & on a file with the zip exe. programs on the pc, I didn't want this to happen to me & loosing key #'s sucks to buy again..

·
Registered
605 Posts
I think it's the graphic card.....the mirror2 & pumpkin on an older system will not run well & mirror 2 has block flames, on my mac & newer pc they run fine. Skull will run on windows 98 or higher even with lesser graf cards.....

Love them all !

I spoke recently to Nephilim (from Imagineerieing) about this problem as I too wanted to use the newer style "Mirror Mirror" with fading and animated background. As it turned out I had the opposite problem, my two NEWEST machines had the 'block effect'. However running it on my older Compaq computer (the one I use for my Halloween events anyway), the background effect works fine. However, being an older machine, the animated background causes a frame rate drop/ operation delay of the Magic Mirror. Since this is a no no, I just turned the animation off. I mainly wanted the fade in/out option anyway.

Now, Nephilim mentioned that it is some kind of strange issue between Windows itself and drivers for video cards, which is for the most part not correctable unless you change video drivers or upgrade (or downgrade) your video card.

One interesting experiment I did was run Mirror Mirror in Linux via Wine. (Wine is a Windows OS overlay that allows you to run Windows programs in Linux). Guess what? It worked without the blocky background. So that does prove what Nephilim was saying as it isn't necessarily the video card, but the OS and drivers for the card.

So why don't I use the system this way? Well, Wine is a resource hog and I experience the same frame rate slowdown (when the animation is engaged), even on my fastest machine. So the bottom line for this Halloween is no background animation.

Down the road I will try my '2nd fastest' machine with a new video card/driver and see if I can get the 'blocks' to disappear AND have decent performance.

So that is the scoop on the 'background blocks'.

Have a Happy Halloween!

Geo

·
Registered
348 Posts
Definately a video card/driver issue. I "upgraded" my pc with a newer vid card and I now have the same blocks in the background. I haven't tried fixing it yet. I may have to switch back to my old vid card for the big day. Or, i was thinking about switching the mirror to a drop panel this year anyhow. The ToT are used to the mirror (been running it a few years). The drop panel will not be expected. :)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Definately a video card/driver issue. I "upgraded" my pc with a newer vid card and I now have the same blocks in the background. I haven't tried fixing it yet. I may have to switch back to my old vid card for the big day. Or, i was thinking about switching the mirror to a drop panel this year anyhow. The ToT are used to the mirror (been running it a few years). The drop panel will not be expected. :)
Hello Nil8r,

Well, it COULD also be the OS too as I pointed out with my Linux experiment. On my fastest machine which had the blocky background in Windows, all I did was boot into my 'regular' OS which is Ubuntu Linux and then ran the same Mirror Mirror program through Wine. It worked without any hardware changes. So I guess it is the way the OS talks to the driver which in turn operates the video card. So naturally if you change the hardware, it would use a different driver and that changes the picture quite a bit.

Now I was curious as to what you mentioned about a 'drop panel' for the Magic Mirror. I had a bit of difficulty envisioning that.

As it turned out for me, I had run into troubles with the landlord for the new house I am in and unfortunately my family and I are once again looking into another place to live. Now all my plans (and countless planning hours) for this new location are nixed. So for this year, I am moving the Magic Mirror to the old location of the vestibule at my parent's house. It was a logical choice, since I already have the materials for that location in place. So set up time would be much faster.

The only changes I am going to make is a better lit facade as lighting was a bit of a problem the first year. Also I am going with a mounted/rotated monitor to make the mirror face as large as possible. So the Mirror will be slightly larger for the same frame I been using. Also I have added a two way (half silvered) glass to the frame so it looks more like...well, A MIRROR! This is where the fade in / fade out effect comes into play from the new style mirror. When TOTs first approach the mirror, they will see their own reflection. Then I will just fade the mirror in and it will be business as usual. Another addition I added was a voice changer. I am not 100% sure if I am going use it though. Since the changer was inexpensive, it does add it's fair share of hiss to the output of the sound system. The good news is that I can easily kick the effect in/out. It does work well though other than that. Even though I can pitch my voice up or down, I can still be heard clearly. The good news is that I do have background music playing through the same speakers, so that might mask some of the hiss.

Also new for this year I am also going to transfer my 'eyes in bushes' to a large pine tree along the walkway and I am going to put my Hallowindows in a dining room window that is adjacent to the vestibule.

So unfortunately, there will not be a scare again this year. But being faced with another move with the next month (November), this is the best I can do for Halloween 2011.

Anyway, have a Happy Halloween!

Geo

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,682 Posts
Does sound like driver / OS issues. & my "newer" laptop PC, is a few years old ( 7-8+) & running XP pro. Was given to me by a friend ( that had bought a new laptop ) that worked at ZoneAlarm fire wall co, & he had all the graphic & vid drivers / OS set up for serious gaming, so I had no prob's when I run any of the puppets & same with my mac 6 + years old. My old haunting PC windows ME, can only run the skull. I'd ask him, but he passed away 2 years ago......

·
Registered
348 Posts
I was curious as to what you mentioned about a 'drop panel' for the Magic Mirror. I had a bit of difficulty envisioning that.
I'm not going to hijack this thread by going into great detail. Simply said, I'm replacing the monitor with a drop panel covered with mirror film. The ToTs familiar with the Magic Mirror from previous years will expect the face to show up. But instead, I will drop the panel and scare the #%@! ou tof them. :D

Does sound like driver / OS issues.
Don't think it would be the OS. I have used the same PC for years running XP Home. Both old and updated vid cards are ATI Radeon based. The new one just has more on-board memory and is DX10 compat.
I'll try to change a few settings later today to see if I can remove the "blocks" from the background.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm not going to hijack this thread by going into great detail. Simply said, I'm replacing the monitor with a drop panel covered with mirror film. The ToTs familiar with the Magic Mirror from previous years will expect the face to show up. But instead, I will drop the panel and scare the #%@! ou tof them. :D
LOL! That IS a bit on the mean side. I don't know about that one. For me, I think when it does come to doing scares, I would rather give the people an option. For example, if I was going to stay in this house, behind the Magic Mirror I was going to create a 'room' and in here I would put the scare. There would be a warning posted outside the entry. Thus, for those that want to take the 'risk' it would be at their own option rather than a scare shoved down their throat.

Don't think it would be the OS. I have used the same PC for years running XP Home. Both old and updated vid cards are ATI Radeon based. The new one just has more on-board memory and is DX10 compat.
I'll try to change a few settings later today to see if I can remove the "blocks" from the background.
Then probably it is the driver. As I said, I didn't change my hardware at all on my main machine (the fastest computer I have). Just the OS and driver change and that was enough to do the trick. But even on this fast machine, it still isn't fast enough.

Thanx,

Geo

·
Registered
605 Posts
Thanks Dark lord. i guess it helps if you spell it correctly huh?
Heh heh,

I made the same mistake when I first heard about the Magic Mirror. The key is actually in the way it is spelled on the site: ImaginEERIEing with eerie in caps. Nephilim, here on the forums, is the creator of the digital puppets. I have to say that being on the web since 1996, I have been exposed to thousands of programs over the years. The products offered by Imagineerieing are in the top 10 of what I consider the best programs I have used. It was the original Magic Mirror program that pushed me into the direction of putting on Halloween displays. To a certain extent this also lead to my wanting to do something for Christmas and I discovered Vixen (another program in my top 10) in which I initially used for Christmas displays, but I also use it for Halloween too.

This is my third year using an Imagineerieing digital puppet as the main attraction / TOT greeter in my display.

2009 I used the original free Magic Mirror
2010 I had a pumpkin theme and used Gordo
2011 I plan to use the updated Magic Mirror, "Mirror, Mirror".

Anyway I hope you do head in this direction. It is extremely fun. The website does explain very well how to create a facade for use with the digital puppets. The thing is that with less than a week left for Halloween, it might be tough to put something together. However, we are always here to help and in my first year I had much help from several forum members. So if you need some advice, just give us a holler.

AND...Have a Happy Halloween!

Geo

1 - 20 of 25 Posts