Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys-
I'm trying to get this PS working... I am hooking up a 2-way illuminated switch to turn it on/off.

When I touch the green wire to the black, it turns on, runs, voltage is stable. When I disconnect it, it all shuts down- so the green has to remain grounded to stay on.

NOW- when hooking up to the illuminated switch... I'm getting problems. Switch is brand new. There's a +12v terminal, a GND terminal, and a 'A' terminal. I hook a black wire to the GND. I hook a yellow (12v) to the +12v terminal. I hook the GREEN wire to the A terminal. I flip the switch- the thing turns on, run, switch is lit up- but it flashes on/off. The voltage tester shows that voltages running on the switch AND other wires in the PS are fluctuating from 1 to 7v rapidly.

I tried putting the green wire on the +12v, and the yellow wire on the 'A' terminal on the switch- same thing happens.

I take the yellow wire out completely, use just the Green on the A terminal, and Black on the GND- and it works perfectly (except the switch doesn't light up). All other wires/voltages remain stable.

What am I missing here? There's something funky when hooking up the switch. It's a brand new 12v 16a switch, so that shouldn't be the problem. Any ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
It has been a while since I've done circuits and such, but I think the reason why the switch doesn't light in your last example is because there is no power to the light. I would think you have to pigtail the +12V and the A terminal to the green wire. Then you will get the switch working, and the light will come on when the power supply is started.

I hope someone with more recent knowledge will chime in!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I think the voltage to the green wire is soo low, that it won't light up the switch on its own. I don't think you should cross the green and yellow wires together, that could cause an overload. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
490 Posts
I would back up, and learn some more about the switch (with an Ohmmeter). What's connected to what, and through what, in each switch position? Is this thing an LED or a light bulb, can you tell?

I'm not sure quite how it's happening, but what it seems like is that the turn-on of the +12v is causing the power supply to think that the Grn wire is disconnected from GND. (Raising the voltage at the Grn wire).

- Hook

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,454 Posts
What is the output voltage of the power supply? What type of power supply is it?Willise is correct , that when the switch is turned on the light should come on and that you will have to have a pigtail lead going to the light coming from the switched power to make it work.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok- someone told me to:
Connect Gnd to a yellow (12V) wire.
Connect A to a black wire.
Connect +12 to the green wire.

this worked great, UNTIL...

I had the PS open while hooking it all up. Hooked up the wires/switch the way you said (using 12v instead) and it worked great. Tried it on/off a few times- not problems. Screwed it all together, and now- it won't run. UHHHH...

So there's a green LED built in on the PS. It lights as SOON as you plug the PS into the wall. It stays on the entire time- even when the PS is switched off.

So now- when I flip the illuminated switch, it doesn't come on- and in fact, the green LED turns off. I disconnected the switch, and just tried turning it on/off with JUST the green/black wires touching together... same results. Green LED is ON until I touch them together- then, instantly turns off. As soon as I disconnect them, green LED comes back on. It wasn't doing this before. I've quadruple checked all my other wires to make sure there's no shorts going on- I don't see a thing. Any ideas now?

·
Registered
179 Posts
It seems like this is a switched power supply, like you said, it needs to have the green grounded before power will actually "come on". Some power supplies require loads on the power before they will even operate, but it doesn't seem like this is the case for yours.

You need to run power through the switch, and that is done by completing the circuit through the green and black wire. As you said, that works fine. Now yo need to get power to the light - the ground is already there (the black wire). What I would do is pigtail the green wire to the light. I wouldn't use the yellow wire at all.

Again, I haven't done this in a long time, so my memory is a little dusty LOL.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts