Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for advice on activities to do in Sleepy Hallow/Tarreytown the weekend before Halloween. Our kids are 11 and 17.

I know about the parade, cemetery tour and book reading.

Any suggestions on other tours, historical or ghost? Any shops/restaurants in the area to go to? Any Halloween displays? Any pumpkin patches?

I just do not want to miss anything, so any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
75 Posts
We went in 2016 and had a great time. These are the two websites
we consulted to plan our trip.

https://hudsonvalley.org/halloween-in-sleepy-hollow-country/

http://visitsleepyhollow.com/halloween-in-sleepy-hollow/

The Great Jack O’Lantern Blaze in Croton on Hudson is awesome.

We visited The Old Dutch Church for “Irving’s Legend”.
It’s a dramatic telling of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow. It was
really fun.

There’s also Horseman’s Hollow at Phillipsburg Manor.
My GF doesn’t like walk through haunted attractions,
so we didn’t go, but it looked really cool when we were walking by it.

The town of Sleepy Hollow also has a block party with a haunted hayride
through the Sleepy Hollow cemetery. It was fun, but crowded and the line
for the hayride was insanely long. So long, in fact, that we missed our time
for the lantern tour of the cemetery. So, if you’re there the weekend of the
block party, I suggest not planning anything else that evening.

It’s a really fun place to visit. Enjoy!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've wanted to do this for a few years as well. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow has always been my favorite Halloween time story.

1,276 Posts
We did Sleepy Hollow last year enjoyed it so much more then our longer visit to Salem the same year.

We were there in early Oct before the really busy season for either town. Sleepy Hollow had some kind of festival happening during the day at the cemetery. But we still enjoyed our time visiting all the old graves. While standing outside the Old Dutch Church we notice a grave with the names of three very young children, the Couenhoven children, who died on the same day in 1794... that left us pondering the story there.

Did the reading in the old Dutch Church really enjoyed that. We did the earliest reading so it was still very light outside I would imagine doing a later one would make for better mood lighting. Afterwards did the Haunted house being held across the street, really well done.

Finally for the night headed over for the Pumpkin Blaze... that was a surprise... BUSY but so creative and fun to view.

Alas we only had an one night to do it all in so didn't get to enjoy anything else.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Sounds like you will be having loads of fun! I’m jealous too! I did get to spend a few days in October in Salem, Massachusetts which I loved. I hope to make it back there some day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts