Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a couple of Gemmy head droppers that I really like except for the fact that a passerby needs to be pretty close - or a sound has to be very loud - to trigger them. I’d like the option to use a remote PIR and/or a remote prop actuator (e.g. Spirit’s Multi-Prop Remote) to cause a sufficiently loud sound - or otherwise trick the dropper’s sensor into triggering the prop.

I tried using a buzzer, but the dropper fails to trigger. I don’t know how to fake motion to the dropper to trigger it.

Any tricks or tips would be appreciated.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I’ve seen a hack either here or on YouTube of a guy who made the jumping spider prop activate with a remote. Might want to try searching that.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If they have a try me button then a Try-Me-Trol controller will work perfectly. The "For Sale by Merchants" section has a thread on them.

If they dont have a try me button then a wireless driveway alarm from harbor freight can be used to trip a sound sensor reliably.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
A thunder clap track with intervals should do the trick if you can custom make one. The multi prop trigger needs the receiver end plugged into the prop- I don't think that would be a good way for drop items. Receiver too big and adds some weight- might wear the prop motor out after multiple lifts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. My head droppers don’t do anything until they’re activated by sound or motion. Adding a relay in series with power might work if the dropper automatically activates on power up. I’ll experiment. So far my attempts to trigger these droppers by sound (e.g. a nearby buzzer) haven’t worked. Perhaps a louder and/or more percussive sound is required.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. The jumping spider I have (from Spirit) has a nice jack which accommodates their Multi-Prop Remote. No hacking required.

However, because my head droppers we’re confined to in-store demonstration within their box, activating them remotely via their “Try Me” jack only enables the flashing eyes, sound, and jaw movement - not the head dropping/rising feature.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. This sound box definitely looks interesting (and fun), but based upon the customer reviews their motion activation ranges from great to poor. In my application I’d need to remove the speaker, locate it close to my head dropper (as a sound trigger), and run some long wires to the sound box (located near the path of unsuspecting victims) which would provide (unreliable?) motion detection.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A thunder clap track with intervals should do the trick if you can custom make one. The multi prop trigger needs the receiver end plugged into the prop- I don't think that would be a good way for drop items. Receiver too big and adds some weight- might wear the prop motor out after multiple lifts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. Agreed. I’m surprised these cleverly-designed head droppers have proven to be quite reliable. Plugging into their “Try Me” jack disables their up/down motion, and I agree that even if this wasn’t true, adding the transponder weight would shorten the dropper’s service life. Kudos to Gemmy.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Thanks. This sound box definitely looks interesting (and fun), but based upon the customer reviews their motion activation ranges from great to poor. In my application I’d need to remove the speaker, locate it close to my head dropper (as a sound trigger), and run some long wires to the sound box (located near the path of unsuspecting victims) which would provide (unreliable?) motion detection.
Possibly. The couple that I have are very good with motion detection but I've only used them with batteries and when they start to wear down, so does the motion sensing. Can't remember if they can take a power adapter.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
The try me trol board for sale in the merchant section is made specifically for triggering these props. Should work a treat.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
The try me trol board for sale in the merchant section is made specifically for triggering these props. Should work a treat.
Thanks for the mention but if this particular prop doesn't fully activate with the try me button, the TRY-ME-TROL won't work.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’ve got a couple of Gemmy head droppers that I really like except for the fact that a passerby needs to be pretty close - or a sound has to be very loud - to trigger them. I’d like the option to use a remote PIR and/or a remote prop actuator (e.g. Spirit’s Multi-Prop Remote) to cause a sufficiently loud sound - or otherwise trick the dropper’s sensor into triggering the prop.

I tried using a buzzer, but the dropper fails to trigger. I don’t know how to fake motion to the dropper to trigger it.

Any tricks or tips would be appreciated.
If the try me wont activate the head drop and the sound activation is wonky, you are pretty limited with just bad motion detection. Motion could be based on light or heat, so perhaps putting another more easily triggered prop that moves when triggered in front of the head drop sensor and have a light/ heat source on the extra prop would activate you head dropper motion sensor...like putting a jumping spider in front with small light on its butt.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts