Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Obssessed Haunter
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm going to re-hash this topic.
What I need is someone to TELL me how to do this. Point me to what it is that I need to buy....

I want to 'automate' my haunt a little more this year.

I plan on having a room that, when people walk in... I want sound and a light to come on. A bright light and Loud sound. This can come on and stay on... i.e. when they step on a mat... then go off when they step off the mat. But, I guess I don't want it too brief if they step right off the mat either. So, maybe a timer would be needed ?

Then, another room I want to trigger lights, sound and a fog machine to come on. This should play through a 'routine' and then go off......

Whats the cheapest and simplest solution for this.... ? Prop 1 ? other?
Whats a good source for the sound ?

Thanks for all your help...me and triggers have a hard time getting along !!:eek:

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Well, your going to get a ton of options of people TELLING you how to do it because there are a ton of options out there....You'll need to set down and figure out what you want to do as a whole...Everything out there has strong points and weaknesses and there is no simple "this will do it" gadget....The gadgets that do try to do it all will cost you dearly and my be more than you need wasting precious $$$...That being said I'll throw out what I use for MOST of my rooms because it's got built in sound, sensor inputs,and you simply program when you want things to come on and go off...They work great for most simple scares...Good luck...ZR

Fright Ideas, Control the Fear

·
You Rang?
1,079 Posts
Zombie's right there are a lot of ways to do what you want and a lot of opinons on which is the best.

For your first room I think the cheapest would be to use a standard motion sensor flood light screw in two plug adapters or connect it to a power strip. plug your lights and some amplified computer speakers in to the power strip. Connect a cheap CD player to the speaker but plug it into a different outlet. Set the CD player to loop your sound trac and let it run, the motion sensor will turn on the speaker giving you sound and the lights at the same time. The problem with this set up is that motion sensors have a limited number of options for the on time, test (a few seconds) then usually 1 min, 5 min, 10 min. and there is no delay after it shuts off.

for the second room you will need some type of event timer/controler like zombie pointed out.
there are many different types. Some come with built in sound option but as you add options and featurs the price goes up.

These are one of the cheapest I've seen but don't have sound, so you'll have to try the CD computer speaker route or perhaps a sound chip.

Timer Boards Timer-Based Boards
Progmable boards Haunted House Boards
Sound Chip boards Cowlacious Audio Products

Last year I bought a Pico Boo 105, it has two programable outlets and sound capabilities, very easy to use but not exactly cheap. However it play an ambient soundtrack all the time then when triggered the second effect sound and event is set off. So as you approach a room you will hear musice, screams, or what ever...then when its triggered different sound will be played along with an event like lights or a pop up prop if you want. The unit does not come with the trigger or speakers. picoBoo FI-105 : Fright Ideas, Control the Fear

·
Obssessed Haunter
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
scareisburg... I have thought about the motion sensor... I'll have to try that. It should work fine in that room because the sound is just a constant, so looping it would work fine. Thanks

The second room... well I will take a look at the options you guys gave me and see what I come up with. I don't plan on doing any really big projects like the 3 axis, so this year I will try my hand at the timers and such..

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
sound and automatoin

I've had geat luck with the uMP3 module fom Rouge Robotics. A tiny little boad with a stereo output that plays .WAV or .MP3 files fom an SD memory card, and can do seamless loop playback, at 16 bit 48K for better tha CD quality. they are about $100.00, but I've used them in many pro haunts and themed attractions with no breakdowns or problems for over two years now. As for trigering lights etc., I made an inexpensive, 6 output simple prop controller with 2 programable sequences. Sequence B runs all the time in a loop (you can leave it blank if you want nothing running at first). Then when triggered, sequence A kicks in, then goes back to the sequence B loop when A is finished. If interested, contact me, but I'm not technicly alowed to "sell" these on the forum as I am a pro prop designer.

Bill Ehrsam.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you have 2 doors and are going to use the mats. All you need is a 3 way switch. So when they come in one door it turns on and then off as they exit. Now if you have a lot of people at the same time you can forget this. You would loose the effect as one group would be negating the other. But even with timer boards if they are to close together you will have the same trouble. We send in tot's at different times, so one doesn't spoil the surprize for the other. If you do that mats or sensors with 3 ways is about as cheap as you can get, and they do the job very well.

·
Obssessed Haunter
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you have 2 doors and are going to use the mats. All you need is a 3 way switch. So when they come in one door it turns on and then off as they exit. Now if you have a lot of people at the same time you can forget this. You would loose the effect as one group would be negating the other. But even with timer boards if they are to close together you will have the same trouble. We send in tot's at different times, so one doesn't spoil the surprize for the other. If you do that mats or sensors with 3 ways is about as cheap as you can get, and they do the job very well.
Thats kinda why I would like to trigger it with something Other than a switch on the door. I'd like to wait until they are all in the room Before the prop is triggered.

·
You Rang?
1,079 Posts
Lynn, the Flex ECT that shockwave noted would work well. You can set the delay time between the trip of the trigger and the activation of the prop. There is also a delay for after the event so as not to retrigger the event to early. However it only controls one prop unless you use multipul units, but that adds to the cost.

·
Obssessed Haunter
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lynn I use these boards. You can set them up with a motion detector or mat. They are a good way to control the event time. You can even set 3 different events on 1 board.

Timer-Based Boards
OK, looks like the price on these are pretty good.. I may order one or 2 and see how it works.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The guy that sells these is a world of information. Any questions you have he will answer and he will get you a set of plans if you need them. I will be glad to help also. You can pm me . The biggest thing is figuring out your times. But they are very easy to change.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Any ideas on triggering by remote control?? I am hacking a cheap RC toy truck as a gelatinous blob and would like to trigger the lights and sound remotely.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Bill the only way I know would be to hack the remote. There is so many different voltages. If it's a 110 prop you could use the x10 system. But if you hack the remote and run the light and sound wires to a motion sensor or mat that would work.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I have tried to find info. on doing this by hacking the remote but have not found much. I will start a new thread on specifically RC control. We can throw our ideas there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts