Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone! I'm looking for an inexpensive device that could play an Mp3 or other sound device either when triggered, or automatically played when turned on.

I'm thinking something like the PicoBoo MP3 might be overkill for what I need. Anybody have and ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome! Thank you for the suggestion. Does this have the ability to automatically play once powered on? I’m still pretty much a noob when it comes to these forms of programming and coding but I am learning.

·
Registered
251 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Absolutely no delay. Each trigger performs a different task with the mp3 contained on the disk....There is also UART Serial controls but I have yet to tinker with these.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Hello Everyone! I'm looking for an inexpensive device that could play an Mp3 or other sound device either when triggered, or automatically played when turned on.

I'm thinking something like the PicoBoo MP3 might be overkill for what I need. Anybody have and ideas?

Thanks!
If you're just looking for a dirt cheap mp3 player that will auto play on power up, there's tons on ebay for a couple bucks a piece. The only downside is they have about a 2 second delay on power up. Here's one link to the player I'm reffering to.
MP3 Format TF Card U Disk decoder board module amplifier decoding audio Player | eBay

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you're just looking for a dirt cheap mp3 player that will auto play on power up, there's tons on ebay for a couple bucks a piece. The only downside is they have about a 2 second delay on power up. Here's one link to the player I'm reffering to.
MP3 Format TF Card U Disk decoder board module amplifier decoding audio Player | eBay
Ah, this should be perfect! Thanks! Basically, I just want to be able to have a switch turn on an animatronic I'm building and play a clip of music at the same time.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Thanks!
I use an old Apple iPod that is plugged into two small computer speakers. I hacked an outdoor light with a motion detector to serve as trigger. That way when nobody is around the track is not playing continually. You just turn on the iPod and the sound track just loops. No delay works great.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I tried that but the cheap Logitech computer speakers have a full 2-3 second delay after powering them on.
Ok if timing is not critical for your prop.
Different brands of speakers may work better?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I tried that but the cheap Logitech computer speakers have a full 2-3 second delay after powering them on.
I use a motion sensor, power speakers and the mp3 player I use is set on a loop. It works good for what I need.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
It's actually not the speaker that has a delay on power up, it's the power supply.

·
Registered
351 Posts
It's actually not the speaker that has a delay on power up, it's the power supply.
The power supply which is built into the “powered computer speakers”.
Which are not serviceable at all as they are glued or plastic melted together.
No surprise as they cost $15. CAD
Why I stated that other speakers may be better!
just pointing out that if someone is hoping to use this idea for a timed scare it will make sound effect a full 2 sec after the motion goes.... lame!
If you want to just have background sound as people are near your prop it may suffice.....
didn’t work for me!

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
The power supply which is built into the “powered computer speakers”.
Which are not serviceable at all as they are glued or plastic melted together.
No surprise as they cost $15. CAD
Why I stated that other speakers may be better!
just pointing out that if someone is hoping to use this idea for a timed scare it will make sound effect a full 2 sec after the motion goes.... lame!
If you want to just have background sound as people are near your prop it may suffice.....
didn’t work for me!
Most computer speakers are USB powered via the computer which would require an aux power supply when using them without the PC. Either way, built in power supply or external power supply, it's typical for them to have a 1 or 2 second delay when powered up. One way around this is to leave the speakers powered up and either trigger the audio or use a relay in the audio line that can be triggered on/off.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've ordered two of these off eBay pretty cheap, as well as some speakers for them off of amazon. Hopefully I can get this working with my Pololu Maestro. I'll let you all know how it works out.

I'm also using the second one to trigger my Squawkers board that I purchased from you J-man.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Most computer speakers are USB powered via the computer
The only powered computer speakers using USB are about as loud as the built in speaker on a cell phone.... totally useless for a prop!

I have moved on from this setup long ago as it was not any good at all!

now my props are outside in the driveway so I’m looking for decent sound not something that would come in a store bought prop that is lame...

·
Registered
351 Posts
A note on some.... maybe not all.... but be aware that these cheap MP3 players don’t hold the volume level after powering off and back on! This one in particular reverts to half volume... which isn’t loud enough when it is such a low power amplifier!
Just warning you......

1 - 20 of 26 Posts