Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while since I posted, but after many years of a basic graveyard and POTC theme, I decided to completely change this year and went with sort of a 'post-apocalyptic Wonderland' theme (although frankly it wasn't nearly as 'post-apocalyptic' as I would like).

A few ToTs were diappointed that I was missing a couple props that I normally have (I had a suspension bridge over a lava pit and a big tree stump they had to reach into to get their candy), but most everyone had very positive comments (especially folks with younger kids).

I did the whole thing sort of 'spur-of-the-moment' (didnt' even start until October) but based on feedback, I plan to keep the theme and expand significantly for next year. I just need to figure out how to incorporate the suspension bridge and add some stuff. I welcome feedback and any suggestions on how to increase the 'dementia' a little more for next year.

Mushroom.jpg

Caterpillar closeup.jpg

My Caterpillar was looking more 'whimsical' then scary or disturbed. Didn't have time to really modify him so just stuck a Hannibal Lector mask on for now.

caterpillar night.jpg

Flower Closeup.jpg

Skeleton.jpg

Sign.jpg

Entry with guards.jpg

entry night.jpg

4 of hearts.jpg

Ace of Spades.jpg

Tombstones.jpg

entry.jpg

Portico.jpg

roses.jpg

The giant roses are connected to a wiper motor/cam mechanisim underneath so they lean forward to 'attack' folks as they walk by.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I think it's fantastic! Your caterpillar is awesome, and I LOVE your card soldiers! I would love to see your flowers in motion. Do you have video? This is so creative and different from a traditional graveyard theme. Well done!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Looks really great! We did Scary Fairytales last year, and included a large table like the madhatters tea party but we did all the cups and plates broken, and covered them in dirt and cobwebs. We made fake cakes that were mouldy and covered in plastic bugs, rather than have the actual mad hatter etc we used props of theirs like they had been there. As this prop was indoors, we also used some of Nieces small plastic childrens chairs, really bright colours and hung them from the ceiling, along with some plates and cups. We had the madhatters hat, but again dirty, bloody and battered, a white rabbits head, and we used one of our skeletons but put an Alice style dress on it, it looked pretty gruesome sat around and on the table. We also made a scary forest that you had to walk through, which was really tall we added a strobe light so it kind of put you off where you were going. On our front door we made a large rabbit hole, and on entry into the hallway we completely covered it in dark plastic with twigs and leaves hanging down along with giant playing cards etc, we used the sound of wind blowing and a had a fan going so it kind of gave the feeling of falling, and again lit with a strobe light. When you got to the end to enter our living room, we put a checked fabric on the door with a tiny wooden door fixed on it, and a bottle at the side saying drink me so kind of gave the impression that you had to shrink to get in. Just some ideas that might give you a bit more of a scare factor:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Matrixmom: Thanks for looking. Unfortunately I don't have an easy way of uploading vids, but I'll consult w/my teenage daughter one of these days when she's in a mood to talk to me to see if she can make recommendations.
The flowers lean foward at different times (depending on the size and shape of the the cam for each) and then a spring on each brought it back upright. The cam shaft is driven by a wiper motor I scavenged off a 'Grim Organist' I used to put out and is activated by remote control. I cover the whole thing with a board and I shoveled a little bark on top to make it look innocuous.

The net effect came out pretty good, however I had music playing, and given the overall theme, some of the little ones thought the flowers were dancing (vs. attacking), which was ok with me (I figure if I can charm the little ones and spook the older ones with the same prop, it's a win/win). Next year I'll include growls or screams whenever it's activated to make it a little more 'scary'.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Shraonr3106: Great ideas! I wanted to a rabbit hole that leads into a vortex tunnel, but I just don't have the space. Would love to see any pics you may have.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I will ask my mum as she took the pics for the party last year chanel. You know what it's like, we get that busy that we forget, there was loads of things I had at the pirate party this year, like we had all tiki torches lit in back garden and with the sails blowing above it looked great but we haven't got one pic:(

·
Registered
74 Posts
You might want to check out a video game called American McGee's "Alice" (it's about ten years old now, I think). It featured an older and deeply troubled Alice getting sucked into a rather disturbing Wonderland. It might provide some good inspiration.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Very nice work me hearty... love the simple but effective teeth on the flowers. The card guard skellies would give me a fright...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts