Halloween Forum banner

Trick-r-Treaters: More or Fewer Over the Years?

3K views 35 replies 26 participants last post by  Witches of Weston 
#1 ·
[This thread spun off from a thought while I was reading Lilibat's thread about ToT numbers for Halloween 2019 elsewhere on the forum]

I was wondering: Have those of you who have put some serious energy into making your homes a special, magical stop for Halloween for seven or more years seen an increase of decrease in the number of trick-r-treaters over time?

Just curious to hear about different people's experiences. We've only been at it for three Halloweens here, and it seems like it's mostly neighborhood kids at our door. We get around 30-40. I'd probably haunt up the yard if we only got ten kids at the door. Actually, I'd probably do it even if they outlawed Halloween. ?

#3 ·
For first 3-ish years we had increases, but it's pretty much leveled out at this point. It's around 50 ToTs and a decent amount of people stopping by just to look now. I will probably maybe promote a little more, but only on the local groups. I kinda like being a local secret sometimes even if that means I don't get a ton of ToTs. It keeps it small and manageable for myself and my neighbors and also the kids that come by. It also means I can keep giving out full-sized candy bars too. I can't imagine trying to buy candy for like 200-300 ToTs... Also, I feel like it would just be a machine trying to get everyone through.

#11 ·
So true. Too many visitors could lead to some hassles I hadn't even considered. Both for myself and the neighbors. I live on a corner lot at the end of a sharp 'S'-curve. Jus traffic-wise, we'll probably never get a huge turn-out. And that's fine. I like how you put it though: local secret. Actually, there already IS a house just around the block that has that sort of pedigree. They have done their home haunt for years and do it up big. Really brings the kids into our subdivision. We'd probably have even less if it weren't for their house every Halloween. Still, I'm thinking with them around the bend and my house over on the opposite end, we just need a few more houses to hop on board to really make it a great Halloween outing. ?

#4 ·
I had about 27 this year. Last year I didn't count, but I'm sure it was more. This year the weather was crappy with a window of no rain in the evening so I figured it would be less. I noticed it was mostly the little guys with their parents this year. I didn't seem to have many junior high/high schoolers. Overall though, I think it's increased since I've been here the past 18 years.

#6 ·
inching up in my walker...I've been at it long enough to report this activity across three residences for over 7 years each.

Residence 1.

My parent's. My parents had always given out fairly decent treats for the neighborhood. Not the king size house down the street, and not the full bag of chips dude that worked at the chip factory, but otherwise decent, goodie bag with candy and a drink.

Anyhow, I started officially haunting the joint at 9. Some years were better than others, and a lot of it was visible for weeks prior.

Virtually NO impact on numbers Halloween night.

Details: Parent's house is in a REMOTE area. NO ONE is passing the house/neighborhood that don't live there. The ambulance had trouble finding it when someone fell off the roof during remodel.

Residence 2.

Our first home.

Low income neighborhood, right next to an elementary school. EVERY kid passes this street. Oh, I'm going to get TONS! Haunt up the place, buy full size bars, ready to go!

8 years. We increase our trick or treat number 800%! (from 1 to 8, all of them the neighbor's grandkids)

No impact from decorating.

Residence 3 (2004 - present)

Mix of expensive houses to one side, mid level to another, low income behind. We're on the bus route for middle school, and a lot of walkers pass us to the elementary school.

Year 1. We move in late August and have a vacation that year. I ask around about numbers. "Expect about 75". Oh, suweeeeet! I hadn't seen that many since moving out of my parent's place. But, I don't have time or money to decorate that year. It's literally me in a costume with "The biggest candy bowl I've ever seen!"

(pic is 2005, but the dummy is my 2004 costume and it shows the bowl best)

We got 150 that first year.

I figured that was a good number, and for the next 3 years, I didn't set up anything until the day of Halloween. Never the less, we become mildly famous for handing out full size bars more than for the decor, and numbers increased to 350 by 2007.

2008-2009 we held steady, I'd grown a little bigger, and was doing a full yard walkthrough at that point. My oldest son had started helping in the yard instead of trick or treating. Numbers stayed steady at the 350 mark.

2010: Lost most my props in a storm that toppled the storage unit. What can I do for $100 decorating budget? The pumpkin carving party was born as I just bought pumpkins and scavenged corn stalks.

Numbers held steady at the 350 mark, but we had ~ 100 folks out the night before as well.

2011: I create the first real original creation. It's seen by neighbors as I'm working on it through the summer, people are snapping photos with it, etc.

Pumpkin party, social media, photos, we become the third house you "have" to see in the area, behind the harry potter house (doctor up on the hill, major production) and 'the mafia house' ( supposedly epicly huge candy hand outs, I've only heard stories) Numbers spike to 450.

2012-2013: we hover around 500 as part of this three house tour people are doing.

2014: Mafia House shuts down, someone had been hit in front of their house in 2015 and cops refuse to close the street, they decide to shut it down. My numbers spike to over 600 as it becomes a 2 house tour.

2015: Harry Potter House decides to do their thing on the Saturday instead of Halloween night. We dip down under 600 again with a lot fewer people heading out in cars.

2016: I don't put as much effort into the yard, doing the remodel on the house instead, still full walkthrough. Numbers continue to dip down to around 550.

2017: Yard is a disaster area from remodel, only decorate the front yard. continue downward trend.

2018-2019: Full yard again, numbers still falling "Only" 350-400 this year. Most the teens that used to come during the peak years are "too old" now. Some of the kids that first saw us in 2011 are bringing their own kids now. Every year I get first timers.

2020: There's a new housing developement just opened and filling up designed for young families 2 blocks away...who knows what that will bring.

#23 ·
inching up in my walker...I've been at it long enough to report this activity across three residences for over 7 years each.

Residence 1.

My parent's. My parents had always given out fairly decent treats for the neighborhood. Not the king size house down the street, and not the full bag of chips dude that worked at the chip factory, but otherwise decent, goodie bag with candy and a drink.

Anyhow, I started officially haunting the joint at 9. Some years were better than others, and a lot of it was visible for weeks prior.

Virtually NO impact on numbers Halloween night.

Details: Parent's house is in a REMOTE area. NO ONE is passing the house/neighborhood that don't live there. The ambulance had trouble finding it when someone fell off the roof during remodel.

Residence 2.

Our first home.

Low income neighborhood, right next to an elementary school. EVERY kid passes this street. Oh, I'm going to get TONS! Haunt up the place, buy full size bars, ready to go!

8 years. We increase our trick or treat number 800%! (from 1 to 8, all of them the neighbor's grandkids)

No impact from decorating.

Residence 3 (2004 - present)

Mix of expensive houses to one side, mid level to another, low income behind. We're on the bus route for middle school, and a lot of walkers pass us to the elementary school.

Year 1. We move in late August and have a vacation that year. I ask around about numbers. "Expect about 75". Oh, suweeeeet! I hadn't seen that many since moving out of my parent's place. But, I don't have time or money to decorate that year. It's literally me in a costume with "The biggest candy bowl I've ever seen!"

(pic is 2005, but the dummy is my 2004 costume and it shows the bowl best)

We got 150 that first year.

I figured that was a good number, and for the next 3 years, I didn't set up anything until the day of Halloween. Never the less, we become mildly famous for handing out full size bars more than for the decor, and numbers increased to 350 by 2007.

2008-2009 we held steady, I'd grown a little bigger, and was doing a full yard walkthrough at that point. My oldest son had started helping in the yard instead of trick or treating. Numbers stayed steady at the 350 mark.

2010: Lost most my props in a storm that toppled the storage unit. What can I do for $100 decorating budget? The pumpkin carving party was born as I just bought pumpkins and scavenged corn stalks.

Numbers held steady at the 350 mark, but we had ~ 100 folks out the night before as well.

2011: I create the first real original creation. It's seen by neighbors as I'm working on it through the summer, people are snapping photos with it, etc.

Pumpkin party, social media, photos, we become the third house you "have" to see in the area, behind the harry potter house (doctor up on the hill, major production) and 'the mafia house' ( supposedly epicly huge candy hand outs, I've only heard stories) Numbers spike to 450.

2012-2013: we hover around 500 as part of this three house tour people are doing.

2014: Mafia House shuts down, someone had been hit in front of their house in 2015 and cops refuse to close the street, they decide to shut it down. My numbers spike to over 600 as it becomes a 2 house tour.

2015: Harry Potter House decides to do their thing on the Saturday instead of Halloween night. We dip down under 600 again with a lot fewer people heading out in cars.

2016: I don't put as much effort into the yard, doing the remodel on the house instead, still full walkthrough. Numbers continue to dip down to around 550.

2017: Yard is a disaster area from remodel, only decorate the front yard. continue downward trend.

2018-2019: Full yard again, numbers still falling "Only" 350-400 this year. Most the teens that used to come during the peak years are "too old" now. Some of the kids that first saw us in 2011 are bringing their own kids now. Every year I get first timers.

2020: There's a new housing developement just opened and filling up designed for young families 2 blocks away...who knows what that will bring.

Amazing recollection of an astounding 21+ year run. Sounds like you've had some legendary Halloweens! That must have been especailly grand during that 2013/2014 stretch where you were part of that trio of houses going big for the night. ?

#8 ·
I use location, bribery, early decoration, changing decoration, scare, forced interaction and now tradition.
from 0 TOTers to average 500 (last year 525, this year 425).
1st year, porch lights on, lighted pumpkin and some Halloween garland. I watched the kids by pass my house.
(former owner, elderly woman, I assumed wasn't doing Halloween the last years of her life)
2nd year added more decorations, got home to late from work just a couple of TOTers.
3rd year more decorations, left bowl on steps, was empty when I got home????
4th year more decorations, worked half day, at home when the school let out, (took advantage of LOCATION k-3rd school 200 ft from house, lets out at 3:00 and has Halloween parade at school on Halloween).
5th year moved to FULL SIZE bars BRIBERY
6th year started DECORATING EARLIER, so they would see house on way to & from school.
I removed the glass on my storm door, so I only need to open the front door and then could stick my masked head out thorough the storm door, creating a scare/startle.
Every year the SCARE is a little different.
I also, don't offer the candy or remove the mask until "Trick or Treat" is said. "Happy Halloween" is nice, but doesn't get candy. FORCED INTERACTION.
I've basically have had continued growth, except weather or Saturdays/Sundays (I don't get the 3:00 crowd)
No advertising, No Social Media, No kids in the school system
The Fence goes up Labor day weekend, Lights start 10/1 and by 3:00 on 11/1 its all gone. (but that part is getting tougher)!
But I have not gotten young 20 somethings, bring their little ones, or like Last Week, Dad announce he's been bringing his daughter (now 16) since she was 5. TRADITION

I'm in the go big or go home and build it they will come, which doesn't work for everyone.
Good Luck and remember WE all do more then most and WE all create Halloween memories.

Jerseyscare

#10 · (Edited)
We've been decorating our yard and having a garage display at our house since 2008, with 2 of those years taking a break from the garage display. We've seen a decline in trick or treaters last couple years. Hard to say why. Last couple years the weather hasn't been good for trick or treating. Maybe more events like trunk or treats etc are happening on Halloween night. But overall we've seen a decline unfortunately....although there is still a good turnout to make the night fun for all.

#16 ·
We had a person, said she was 24 and our haunt had been around "pretty much her whole life" (NOT THAT LONG! Maybe 15 years? My records go back to 2009 for sure.) So there's a timeline.

Numbers up and down, down a bit overall.

Last year was pathetic, but the weather was terrible. Rain. Maybe 100, generously.

This year, we were up over 200. Good, steady night. Better than recent years, despite the cold. I'm happy with 200.

Best year ever, we couldn't keep count but estimate well over 400, maybe 450. Excellent draw for a super small town.

We're also a block away from main street, where the town does ToT at 5:30. So the time has gotten a bit earlier as well, used to go a bit later into the night and the dark. And it means we get quite a few really little ones.

Overall? I think the tradition is on the decline, unfortunately, but I'm doing my part. Spirit of community and all that.

#17 ·
We have only been doing this 3 years but we are getting more kids each year. Part of it is that our street is well travelled and parents who drive by on their way to work often bring their kids to see the yards. We decorate the first weekend of October. We are also on the route of a few school bus routes and we have seen turnover in the houses from older generation to younger. So, all of that helps (and if those trends were against us, I dont think our yard display could reverse it).

#18 ·
In our six years here, we finally got a foothold on being "known" for a good display and good treats!
The first year was exactly the same scenario that jerseyscare had; we bought the home from an elderly gent who apparently was known to be the grouch of the street. We had kids actively avoid our house!
2013-, maybe five to ten kids while the main neighborhood saw at least two hundred.
It doesn't help that we have no sidewalks in our neighborhood, and our lane is a dead-end on a hill. Luckily, we're within sight of the main street through the neighborhood, so I have been putting out my yard displays around Sept 25th -Oct 1st each year. Lots of creepy lighting and a cemetery near the front door.
2014 and 2015- lots of rain! maybe ten kids each year
2016 I don't think I even knew, as I took my youngest daughter out ToTing myself; it was chilling cold but lots of kids were seen on the main road of our plat
2017, we had the best weather so far, cold but clear, and I pulled out all the stops for an outdoor Halloween night-only display. I bought eight Carzy-Bones skeletons and dressed them in Goodwill/Salvation Army clothes, rendered and distressed to look like "authentic" Pirates of the Caribbean-style swashbucklers. I built a (very) large wooden treasure chest out of two pallets and fashioned three more, smaller treasure boxes from cardboard using foam strips and faux wood grain painting. Put all these new additions out on my lawn and fired up my brand new American DJ Mister Kool II fogger, and had maybe 6 kids show up!
I was devastated by the abysmal turnout, as again we could see so many kids walk right by our lane on the main street; it was just too far for them to bother coming down to see if it was worth it!
2018- I barely put out our cemetery in time for Halloween night, and dressed as the Grim Reaper and intended to wander around our neighborhood to scare people. To our surprise, the dozen or so kids who came to our house asked where the pirates were?! Even the parents seemed to be looking for the display. Word had gotten around, and I decided 2019 was going to be the year of the PIRATES!
We worked it out to be an indoor haunt, using our foyer and dining room as the set for them to enter and essentially stand inside the display.
This year I also added the Home Depot pirate ship and that made a big impact on catching the attention of passers-by from the main thoroughfare. I put out the word on our "Nextdoor" app, and also posted on our local city FB page, with the intention of alerting folks that ours was to be an indoor experience and not to be alarmed that we're inviting kids into our house.

So, 2019--we had our best ever turnout with approx 100 kids and parents, in spite of rain soaked conditions from earlier in the day, the low-30's temps, brisk winds and snow flurries! Everyone who came in was happy for the warmth as well as the haunt itself, so we'll now have the added sense memory of being a place they want to visit. Our location was known before-hand, as many kids and parents said they were looking forward to seeing our haunted house, so the combination of time, effort and a little promotion was paying big dividends! Having good candy helped out, too!
If I can figure out how to animate the skeletons it could even better, but for now I'm loading up on the authentic details of the display as well as ambient lights and sounds.
A majority of compliments we received were on the details and realistic "feel" of the environment, so I know it's being noticed!
Next year I'm planning on adding stocks ( also known as a pillory ) for a photo shoot opportunity.
You know you're gaining notoriety when you hear the kids refer to your house as "The Haunted House", and we take that title very seriously!

#21 ·
From about 2007 when we moved into our house until about 2013 we were getting about 5-7 kids per halloween tops.
I started with the display out front in 2014. I was nothing compared to what I do now but we probably got 30-40 kids. That year. About 75 the following year.

Since 2016 we have been averaging about 120-150 kids plus a bunch of adults. We live in a cul de sac type neighborhood. Two ways in and out. It gets no drive by traffic and I am not sure if we even have 150 kids in the neighborhood so some may be coming from outside the neighborhood.

All in all it’s been steady and a lot more than when we moved in.

#22 ·
From about 2007 when we moved into our house until about 2013 we were getting about 5-7 kids per halloween tops.
I started with the display out front in 2014. I was nothing compared to what I do now but we probably got 30-40 kids. That year. About 75 the following year.

Since 2016 we have been averaging about 120-150 kids plus a bunch of adults. We live in a cul de sac type neighborhood. Two ways in and out. It gets no drive by traffic and I am not sure if we even have 150 kids in the neighborhood so some may be coming from outside the neighborhood.

All in all it’s been steady and a lot more than when we moved in.

Prior to 2014, did you put anything out? A pumpkin? Lights? Or did you leave the porch lights on for ToT's? Was there any particular trigger that got you started on the path to all-out extravaganzas for Halloween?

Our neighborhoods sound similar. Although we do get some shortcut traffic from people who know their way around (especially bicyclists), it's mostly just neighbors in a relatively contained area.

#24 ·
My neighborhood doesn’t get many. I never participated and most people don’t. It was hard to get into it. I’d actually just leave and go do something away from the house. I remember going drag racing one Halloween, putting a new axle in a trailer another.

My mom lived in a neighborhood that was even worse. She literally had 3-5 trick or treaters every year. And these were kids she knew and their parents brought them there. She lived there for 14 years before moving to a new place with four subdivisions that actually connect in 2017. I went over there the first year. I suspected it would be better and we might even see 40-50. I put out a single skeleton, a simple scarecrow, and a pumpkin. We probably had 125 kids before running out of goodies. And I mean we went into every reserve we had. We probably would have had 140 by 9:15 pm had we not exhausted every single serving of everything in the house, including peanut butter crackers and granola bars.

I started actually decorating last year. I couldn’t have more stuff but I had more original props. Boom! Probably 240-250 and ran out. This year I had 3 times as many props, and it was most definitely the center of attention for all the neighborhoods. Made the mistake of having more candy but adding more to each treat bag thinking we would have 250 again. We would have easily had 350-400. We ran out at 8:15

I know for a fact that our decorations have directly affected the ToT count. A number of people commented that they had come to there because they had heard about it. I’ve had people for days catch me, while I’m taking stuff down little by little, tell me how good it was and thanking me for it.

#27 ·
It's been growing steadily every year. We started with maybe 100 tots about 5 years ago and it has grown by leaps and bounds each year. My neighbors counted over 700 children this year. I'm certain that is a reflection of how the Halloween decorations have grown. I'm concerned next year, with Halloween on a Saturday it might be even bigger. Some have mentioned to stop decorating but that's not going to happen. I enjoy seeing the kids faces and excitement too much to stop. I will be shelling out a lot of candy to my neighbors next year in order to keep the peace. While I'm not put off by the crowds, I'm concerned my neighbors may be getting a little weiry. That could lead to less houses with their lights on and fewer places for the children to trick or treat.

#29 ·
My buddy's mom lives in a historic district in Southern California where lots of houses decorate and people drive in from all over to trick-or-treat there. The Old Towne Preservation Association even started judging the houses for Scariest, Most Old Fashioned, and Best Theme last year. They've been judging Christmas decorations for about 30 years now.

For the past 11 years my buddy and I have been decorating her house for Halloween. We started relatively simple at first, but since it's so much fun, we've been making it more elaborate every year. Now it takes us at least 2-3 weeks to decorate and get everything set up.

This year we had around 1,000 trick-or-treaters and we probably gave out about 50 lbs of candy (pretty typical). The huge numbers of visitors make all the effort of building props and automating stuff so worth it. The people watching is awesome too.

#30 ·
Aside from this year and 2014 because of snowy weather, we gets upwards of 800-1000 tot's every year. I haven't seen it decreasing except for inclement weather. I have noticed that Main Street doesn't have as many decorated houses as it used to, as people have moved or passed away. There were a lot of dark houses this year.

#32 ·
[This thread spun off from a thought while I was reading Lilibat's thread about ToT numbers for Halloween 2019 elsewhere on the forum]

I was wondering: Have those of you who have put some serious energy into making your homes a special, magical stop for Halloween for seven or more years seen an increase of decrease in the number of trick-r-treaters over time?

Just curious to hear about different people's experiences. We've only been at it for three Halloweens here, and it seems like it's mostly neighborhood kids at our door. We get around 30-40. I'd probably haunt up the yard if we only got ten kids at the door. Actually, I'd probably do it even if they outlawed Halloween. ?
I've posted this elsewhere too... Our haunt has been going for 23 years in Olympia Washington. When I started we got out 30-50 TOTs. As the years have passed, our haunt has become somewhat noteworthy as has our neighborhood for Halloween. For the past decade we average between 1500 and 2000 TOT who actually come to the door. We probably have as many or more adults who visit as well so it is quite a scene. We count by giving TOTs one piece of candy each (although this isn't always followed so it is not a perfect method). That said, this year we were down a little even though the weather was perfect. Our count was a little over 1600. These are pictures from 2018.
Crowd Event Night Snow Tree

Attachments

#33 ·
That is incredible that you've been doing this for that long! Did the rest of your neighborhood sort of join in after you'd been doing it for a while, or was it just serendipitous that several yard haunters wound up living near each other?

Those are insane turn-outs you are having! What a grand way to celebrate Halloween! Even in the pictures from 2018 you posted, the weather looks pretty grim, but you've got a huge crowd lined-up. Is that a witch at the door greeting everyone? Is she your official candy-wrangler? Or do you do a full-on walk-through, too?

Anyway, thanks for the reply. Twenty-Three years is amazing! ?

#34 ·
I've been doing Halloween for 6 years. Each year I do more displays and my numbers have grown to about 350 kids. In Australia because Halloween is New people soon get to know what houses decorate. I am concerned about the New trend here where people are asked for a gold coin donation or even charged. They say it's for charity but to me it's not what Halloween is about. What do you guys think am I being too harsh?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.