Halloween Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
From about 2007 when we moved into our house until about 2013 we were getting about 5-7 kids per halloween tops.
I started with the display out front in 2014. I was nothing compared to what I do now but we probably got 30-40 kids. That year. About 75 the following year.

Since 2016 we have been averaging about 120-150 kids plus a bunch of adults. We live in a cul de sac type neighborhood. Two ways in and out. It gets no drive by traffic and I am not sure if we even have 150 kids in the neighborhood so some may be coming from outside the neighborhood.

All in all it’s been steady and a lot more than when we moved in.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
From about 2007 when we moved into our house until about 2013 we were getting about 5-7 kids per halloween tops.
I started with the display out front in 2014. I was nothing compared to what I do now but we probably got 30-40 kids. That year. About 75 the following year.

Since 2016 we have been averaging about 120-150 kids plus a bunch of adults. We live in a cul de sac type neighborhood. Two ways in and out. It gets no drive by traffic and I am not sure if we even have 150 kids in the neighborhood so some may be coming from outside the neighborhood.

All in all it’s been steady and a lot more than when we moved in.

Prior to 2014, did you put anything out? A pumpkin? Lights? Or did you leave the porch lights on for ToT's? Was there any particular trigger that got you started on the path to all-out extravaganzas for Halloween?

Our neighborhoods sound similar. Although we do get some shortcut traffic from people who know their way around (especially bicyclists), it's mostly just neighbors in a relatively contained area.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
inching up in my walker...I've been at it long enough to report this activity across three residences for over 7 years each.

Residence 1.

My parent's. My parents had always given out fairly decent treats for the neighborhood. Not the king size house down the street, and not the full bag of chips dude that worked at the chip factory, but otherwise decent, goodie bag with candy and a drink.

Anyhow, I started officially haunting the joint at 9. Some years were better than others, and a lot of it was visible for weeks prior.

Virtually NO impact on numbers Halloween night.

Details: Parent's house is in a REMOTE area. NO ONE is passing the house/neighborhood that don't live there. The ambulance had trouble finding it when someone fell off the roof during remodel.

Residence 2.

Our first home.

Low income neighborhood, right next to an elementary school. EVERY kid passes this street. Oh, I'm going to get TONS! Haunt up the place, buy full size bars, ready to go!

8 years. We increase our trick or treat number 800%! (from 1 to 8, all of them the neighbor's grandkids)

No impact from decorating.

Residence 3 (2004 - present)

Mix of expensive houses to one side, mid level to another, low income behind. We're on the bus route for middle school, and a lot of walkers pass us to the elementary school.

Year 1. We move in late August and have a vacation that year. I ask around about numbers. "Expect about 75". Oh, suweeeeet! I hadn't seen that many since moving out of my parent's place. But, I don't have time or money to decorate that year. It's literally me in a costume with "The biggest candy bowl I've ever seen!"

(pic is 2005, but the dummy is my 2004 costume and it shows the bowl best)

We got 150 that first year.

I figured that was a good number, and for the next 3 years, I didn't set up anything until the day of Halloween. Never the less, we become mildly famous for handing out full size bars more than for the decor, and numbers increased to 350 by 2007.

2008-2009 we held steady, I'd grown a little bigger, and was doing a full yard walkthrough at that point. My oldest son had started helping in the yard instead of trick or treating. Numbers stayed steady at the 350 mark.

2010: Lost most my props in a storm that toppled the storage unit. What can I do for $100 decorating budget? The pumpkin carving party was born as I just bought pumpkins and scavenged corn stalks.

Numbers held steady at the 350 mark, but we had ~ 100 folks out the night before as well.

2011: I create the first real original creation. It's seen by neighbors as I'm working on it through the summer, people are snapping photos with it, etc.

Pumpkin party, social media, photos, we become the third house you "have" to see in the area, behind the harry potter house (doctor up on the hill, major production) and 'the mafia house' ( supposedly epicly huge candy hand outs, I've only heard stories) Numbers spike to 450.

2012-2013: we hover around 500 as part of this three house tour people are doing.

2014: Mafia House shuts down, someone had been hit in front of their house in 2015 and cops refuse to close the street, they decide to shut it down. My numbers spike to over 600 as it becomes a 2 house tour.

2015: Harry Potter House decides to do their thing on the Saturday instead of Halloween night. We dip down under 600 again with a lot fewer people heading out in cars.

2016: I don't put as much effort into the yard, doing the remodel on the house instead, still full walkthrough. Numbers continue to dip down to around 550.

2017: Yard is a disaster area from remodel, only decorate the front yard. continue downward trend.

2018-2019: Full yard again, numbers still falling "Only" 350-400 this year. Most the teens that used to come during the peak years are "too old" now. Some of the kids that first saw us in 2011 are bringing their own kids now. Every year I get first timers.

2020: There's a new housing developement just opened and filling up designed for young families 2 blocks away...who knows what that will bring.

Amazing recollection of an astounding 21+ year run. Sounds like you've had some legendary Halloweens! That must have been especailly grand during that 2013/2014 stretch where you were part of that trio of houses going big for the night. 🦇

·
Registered
39 Posts
My neighborhood doesn’t get many. I never participated and most people don’t. It was hard to get into it. I’d actually just leave and go do something away from the house. I remember going drag racing one Halloween, putting a new axle in a trailer another.

My mom lived in a neighborhood that was even worse. She literally had 3-5 trick or treaters every year. And these were kids she knew and their parents brought them there. She lived there for 14 years before moving to a new place with four subdivisions that actually connect in 2017. I went over there the first year. I suspected it would be better and we might even see 40-50. I put out a single skeleton, a simple scarecrow, and a pumpkin. We probably had 125 kids before running out of goodies. And I mean we went into every reserve we had. We probably would have had 140 by 9:15 pm had we not exhausted every single serving of everything in the house, including peanut butter crackers and granola bars.

I started actually decorating last year. I couldn’t have more stuff but I had more original props. Boom! Probably 240-250 and ran out. This year I had 3 times as many props, and it was most definitely the center of attention for all the neighborhoods. Made the mistake of having more candy but adding more to each treat bag thinking we would have 250 again. We would have easily had 350-400. We ran out at 8:15

I know for a fact that our decorations have directly affected the ToT count. A number of people commented that they had come to there because they had heard about it. I’ve had people for days catch me, while I’m taking stuff down little by little, tell me how good it was and thanking me for it.

·
Super Moderator
5,647 Posts
Amazing recollection of an astounding 21+ year run. Sounds like you've had some legendary Halloweens! That must have been especailly grand during that 2013/2014 stretch where you were part of that trio of houses going big for the night. 🦇
I learned I enjoy it most at the 3-400 range, actually. It allows just enough down time to interact with individuals a little more. Over 500, it starts to become a little bit of a chore. Over 600, it's just a blur. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's been growing steadily every year. We started with maybe 100 tots about 5 years ago and it has grown by leaps and bounds each year. My neighbors counted over 700 children this year. I'm certain that is a reflection of how the Halloween decorations have grown. I'm concerned next year, with Halloween on a Saturday it might be even bigger. Some have mentioned to stop decorating but that's not going to happen. I enjoy seeing the kids faces and excitement too much to stop. I will be shelling out a lot of candy to my neighbors next year in order to keep the peace. While I'm not put off by the crowds, I'm concerned my neighbors may be getting a little weiry. That could lead to less houses with their lights on and fewer places for the children to trick or treat.

·
Registered
68 Posts
We only have 5 this year, the least ever. It was pretty cold so I think that had something to do with it. Still it was kind of sad. Except for a few bright moments Halloween kind of sucked this year for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My buddy's mom lives in a historic district in Southern California where lots of houses decorate and people drive in from all over to trick-or-treat there. The Old Towne Preservation Association even started judging the houses for Scariest, Most Old Fashioned, and Best Theme last year. They've been judging Christmas decorations for about 30 years now.

For the past 11 years my buddy and I have been decorating her house for Halloween. We started relatively simple at first, but since it's so much fun, we've been making it more elaborate every year. Now it takes us at least 2-3 weeks to decorate and get everything set up.

This year we had around 1,000 trick-or-treaters and we probably gave out about 50 lbs of candy (pretty typical). The huge numbers of visitors make all the effort of building props and automating stuff so worth it. The people watching is awesome too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Aside from this year and 2014 because of snowy weather, we gets upwards of 800-1000 tot's every year. I haven't seen it decreasing except for inclement weather. I have noticed that Main Street doesn't have as many decorated houses as it used to, as people have moved or passed away. There were a lot of dark houses this year.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We've had a pretty good turnout for the last several years. This year was a bit cold, but we still had about 100 kids. I did not get to set up like I normally do because of other obligations that took up most of my free time. Hoping for a good turnout and to be able to really do it up next year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
[This thread spun off from a thought while I was reading Lilibat's thread about ToT numbers for Halloween 2019 elsewhere on the forum]

I was wondering: Have those of you who have put some serious energy into making your homes a special, magical stop for Halloween for seven or more years seen an increase of decrease in the number of trick-r-treaters over time?

Just curious to hear about different people's experiences. We've only been at it for three Halloweens here, and it seems like it's mostly neighborhood kids at our door. We get around 30-40. I'd probably haunt up the yard if we only got ten kids at the door. Actually, I'd probably do it even if they outlawed Halloween. 🦇
I've posted this elsewhere too... Our haunt has been going for 23 years in Olympia Washington. When I started we got out 30-50 TOTs. As the years have passed, our haunt has become somewhat noteworthy as has our neighborhood for Halloween. For the past decade we average between 1500 and 2000 TOT who actually come to the door. We probably have as many or more adults who visit as well so it is quite a scene. We count by giving TOTs one piece of candy each (although this isn't always followed so it is not a perfect method). That said, this year we were down a little even though the weather was perfect. Our count was a little over 1600. These are pictures from 2018.
IMG_2686.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I've posted this elsewhere too... Our haunt has been going for 23 years in Olympia Washington. When I started we got out 30-50 TOTs. As the years have passed, our haunt has become somewhat noteworthy as has our neighborhood for Halloween. For the past decade we average between 1500 and 2000 TOT who actually come to the door. We probably have as many or more adults who visit as well so it is quite a scene. We count by giving TOTs one piece of candy each (although this isn't always followed so it is not a perfect method). That said, this year we were down a little even though the weather was perfect. Our count was a little over 1600. These are pictures from 2018.
View attachment 726618

That is incredible that you've been doing this for that long! Did the rest of your neighborhood sort of join in after you'd been doing it for a while, or was it just serendipitous that several yard haunters wound up living near each other?

Those are insane turn-outs you are having! What a grand way to celebrate Halloween! Even in the pictures from 2018 you posted, the weather looks pretty grim, but you've got a huge crowd lined-up. Is that a witch at the door greeting everyone? Is she your official candy-wrangler? Or do you do a full-on walk-through, too?

Anyway, thanks for the reply. Twenty-Three years is amazing! 🦇

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've been doing Halloween for 6 years. Each year I do more displays and my numbers have grown to about 350 kids. In Australia because Halloween is New people soon get to know what houses decorate. I am concerned about the New trend here where people are asked for a gold coin donation or even charged. They say it's for charity but to me it's not what Halloween is about. What do you guys think am I being too harsh?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I've been doing Halloween for 6 years. Each year I do more displays and my numbers have grown to about 350 kids. In Australia because Halloween is New people soon get to know what houses decorate. I am concerned about the New trend here where people are asked for a gold coin donation or even charged. They say it's for charity but to me it's not what Halloween is about. What do you guys think am I being too harsh?
Do you mean that the home haunters will sometimes ask for a donation for those walking through their haunts? I don't think I'd ever do that, but I know my limits, and I'll probably never go beyond the simple yard haunting that I currently do. 🦇

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do you mean that the home haunters will sometimes ask for a donation for those walking through their haunts? I don't think I'd ever do that, but I know my limits, and I'll probably never go beyond the simple yard haunting that I currently do. 🦇
Yep it seems to becoming a bit of a thing. I often get my trick or treaters parents asking do they need to pay. I really want Halloween to catch on down here so I find it sad that people are charging even if it is supposedly for charity.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts