Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So trick or treating in my town was supposed to happen on Halloween, but I got the news THIS MORNING that it is now taking place TONIGHT!! We are not ready and they changed the time from 6-8 to 5-7. Ugh. It is windy as Hell (some props/tombstones are feeling the effects) and it won't even be dark when they start coming so lighting is gonna be an issue. What the Hell?? I'm gonna just have to roll with it, but it is not cool. It is our first year and although our displays are small we were really looking forward to it. Rant over. :(:(

·
Halloween Nut
2,941 Posts
StaceyLynn, sorry to hear about that sudden change, but I bet it will catch a lot of parents not ready too. I would get candy for tonight, but I would be ready on Halloween too as you originally planned. Halloween is always on Halloween night here. Good luck!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I am really hoping we get more kids on the actual night, but with our towns set times I doubt it. Who thought setting a time of 5-7 was a good idea? It's still daylight! I miss the 80's. Go when it's dark, come back after you hit the last house. Good thing I got candy last week or I would be screwed!

·
Seer of All
2,937 Posts
Back around 30 years or so, our town decided to "schedule" trick or treating for the Saturday before. Guess what? if you didn't take the local paper you had no way of knowing. Of course, that meant kids came on both nights! Someone apparently learned their lesson because they've left Halloween alone ever since.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honestly between the date changes and scheduled times it feels like Halloween is more of a pain to some people than the fun day it should be. You know that even though they say the earlier time is to keep the kids safe (which I am sure it partly is) a lot if it is people complaining that they don't want them knocking at their doors late at night. I have an aunt who is terrified of Halloween. She will either leave for the night or she locks her doors and hides. She thinks the costumes and decor are horrifying. I picture her cowering under the bed. lol. How are we related?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Exactly. It's a dumb idea to change the day, and really dumb to announce the change on such short notice that no one has the time to prepare. I mean come on, the morning of? And who is this "they" who changed the time from 6-8 to 5-7? These people are afraid of basically some vague threat they've imagined, and want to encourage a whole community to share the same irrational, disproportionate fear. I would discourage such foolishness...by welcoming the trick or treaters on both evenings! And into the night, like it's supposed to be done! The whole daytime thing...ridiculous.

If you don't want people knocking? Turn off your porch light. That's the traditional way. Won't trick or treating while it's still light outside make it impossible to tell who is giving out candy and who isn't? Logic: What a concept, huh??

I'd like to see your haunt running proudly and happily and I want you to have a good time a) giving out free candy and b) entertaining the neighborhood. Halloween is good and yard haunting is good, and these people who are so insistent on ruining this stuff should be disregarded. Haunt away, StaceyLynne!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh and Tomanderson I LOVE your idea. I plan on keeping as much as I can up until after Halloween. I don't know if the weather will cooperate, but I am gonna try. Oh poo, one of my tombstones (the heavy kind) just blew over, hit the spot light and broke it. Urg. This is not my day! lol. Some of you (the experienced haunters/decorators) must want to murder mother nature when this happens.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know! Wimps! We should all get together and start our own little gated community. We can do as much decorating as we want, whenever we want and you can't move in unless you agree to participate! That's my idea of a good neighborhood. :D

·
Resident Potterhead
1,972 Posts
when i was a kid halloween was always on halloween and it wasnt set between certain hours. if you started early, then thats fine, if you started when it was dark, that was ok too.. and go until you're tired or you've hit every house there is to hit within a reasonable walking distance.

i still have a hard time wrapping my brain around how a city thinks they can dictate when to celebrate a certain holiday. they never move christmas to a different day, so why is it ok to move halloween?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is a great point mariposa, and since it is a freaking holiday we should have it off just like the other "big" holidays. Notice trick or treating started 1/2 an hour ago and I am still sitting at my computer...not one kid yet.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
My town tried to schedule it one year for the weekend before actual Halloween because the actual day fell on a school night and I guess they have an increase in kids not coming the next day? I don't know, regardless they never did that again. apparently didn't work out so well...go figure. When I was a kid there were no set times we all just started after dinner and stayed out until there were no more houses to hit, even tried to hit some houses more than once. It was always dark out, at least twilight just about dark but by the time were were into it it was pitch dark. the 5 ish time is dinner time( or at least most people are trying to eat early in anticipation of ToTs) and I think most find that more irritating than anything , to have to get up from your meal and answer the door, over and over and over...yeah somebody didnt think this out StacyLynn

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
I've never been a fan of towns dictating what day and what time Trick-or-Treating will take place.
Trick-or-Treating takes place on HALLOWEEN NIGHT, which is always OCTOBER 31st !
Time: From whenever you start, until everyone turns off their porch lights.
To show how crazy it is to deviate from that, what would they think if I decided Christmas will be celebrated on December 19th ????

·
Registered
606 Posts
Stacey Lynn, I'm checking in on you. How many trick-or-treaters did you get? And I'd love to hear from you again after the REAL Halloween night!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Daveinthegrave and disembodiedvoice it is ridiculous! I don't think I will ever understand why Halloween is not as celebrated (days off etc) as Christmas. I mean everyone has to leave work early anyway to get the kids dressed and out of the house, especially when the scheduled time is 5:00! Plus didn't I see a report somewhere that last year Halloween raked in more money than Christmas? Proof it needs to be celebrated not restricted IMHO. weeping angel thanks for checking in, we only got around 20 TOT's which stinks, but it is our first year in this house so that could have contributed as well. We did get a lot of praise from the parents, at lest 3 groups who either only made it half way up the walkway and left crying and a couple who were too scared to come up at all. I heard one kid scream "This house freaks me out!" which made my night and one parent stuck around to chat about the imposed TOT time and said we had the best house in the neighborhood. Not much, but I will take it, after all that work it's nice to know someone appreciated it! We are doing it again on the REAL Halloween and I hope people stop by, but if not at the very least they all know where to come next year. :eek:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree tomanderson. While we are not the biggest or busiest city in MA we do have a pretty popular restaurant/bar district that has experienced it's share of mayhem in the past. I doubt it was a coincidence they chose to hold trick or treating on the busiest party night of the year (besides New Years). Still...if Boston and some of the other larger cities can handle it why can't we? We may have to move. lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts