Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
THAT is quite educational! Thank You and Thank You MPR!
I never heard any of this before! I understand how in 1940 begging on the street was suddenly unfashionable, since so many had already spent from 1929 to 1940 begging on the street everyday!
That mention about Germany making many of the popular masks rang a "bell" for me. The first time I was in the French Quarter of New Orleans I found a mask shop there, it had been a mask shop for a long, long time (think "French Quarter" "History"..) And I was amazed to see a mask publically displayed of what I would describe as a Yoo-Bangi (I don't know how to spell it, sorry) tribesman from Africa complete with lips made larger via the insertion of a" plates"!?
I cautiously inquired how they could be selling and displaying such a mask (think "Racist") (I think it was being made in France or Germany?)
I was politely informed that they sell a large number of this mask.. to Blacks... Well, Small-town" Jimmie" ,, supposed this might be sort of ..ok... then?
But I would sure not feel too "Right" about it myself... in my store?

·
Registered
460 Posts
The more I read, the more Halloween seems to encompass all the things folks naturally want to do during holidays.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
This fits well with an elderly column writer for my local newspaper. He recently described the Halloweens of his childhood as monthlong affairs to extort nightly candy from the neighbors.

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
Great find. I'm always kind of amazed that while I always think of "holiday traditions" it turns out a lot of them are actually fairly recent and still really flexible in their interpretation. Hadn't heard of this aspect of Thanksgiving at all!

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Thinking about it, masquerades seem to be a fall/winter holiday thing going all the way up to the new year. After all, Philadelphia has its insane Mummer's Parade every New Year, and that's all about the masquerade, too. So we start with Halloween and Finish up an New Year's Day here in the Delaware Valley.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
Entertaining read. Thank you for sharing the article, theworstwitch. We truly need to find a way to get Thanksgiving back to that... I sure as heck would dress up for a masquerade (really, any chance to don elaborate garb is right up my alley).

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Happy to share with people who appreciate it!
Speaking of Fall/Winter being a time of masquarade, I can't help but think of Krampusnacht! Those guys are freaking scary.

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
I love thanksgiving. and macy's parade. I'm all for keeping it and Halloween separate. masked balls should be at Halloween or new years eve. gobble gobble everyone.

·
Ghouls Rule
2,613 Posts
I work for macys, when I clicked the link it went to a not found page but I googled for the title and found the gist of it. Made me feel thats my life is a bit ironic reading that the miracle on fourth st movie and macys parade took over as a family tradition when maycs wont let its employees enjoy that family time anymore as of last year. This year employees are to start work at 5:30 pm. on thanksgiving.

I mean, really, Im all for sales, but do people NEED that sweater or perfume while digesting their meals? I realize we have a diverse culture in America and not everyone celebrates Thanksgiving. Also, some services NEED to be open and some dont really NEED to be but its good to have for those who are working those NEED to jobs on a major holiday, like police, hospitals, etc. Alot of restaurants are still open most of the time and some grocery stores. Those people have to eat, also those who dont like to cook can go out to eat a Thanksgiving meal or anything else if its just another day for them.

Sure, Im peeved as heck that my employer does everything it can to provide charity for so many different organizations, yet the employees get shafted with family time. We even have programs to deduct from our min wage paychecks they pressure us to sign up for because of reasons good for the bosses but unknown to us lowly employees. But it sure feels like corporate could care less about us just the almighty dollar.

Last year when they opened early, around 7 or 8pm I cant recall, I managed to be on a black friday shift and was there at 5am, an 11 hr shift ahead of me. There were tumbleweeds and crickets when I walked in. We have to maintain a certain sales per hour or we get our paychecks penalized, so if they open the doors for those rabid sales fiends then they are now wasting employees time and theirs because customers all showed up for a few hours then left a little after midnight, and no one else showed up until around 7am-8am.

Not to mention alot of those early purchases had actually come back and were already returning these items for their reasons while the new shoppers (at the traditional time) are now trying to shop for their stuff and these returnees are taking up alot of our time and the new customers'. So many customers are angry and there were some shouting over this last year between strangers. Just terrible.

It didnt get any better for those who had to or volunteered for that thanksgiving shift because people were returning much more stuff and hurting their sales goals. I thought it was very telling and funny in a not funny way that corporate bragged that employees and customers asked to be open on Thanksgiving and even earlier than in the history of Macys. They heavily mentioned it was what the customers were asking for and Macys is happy to deliver. So corporate puts a poll on the website about how stoked are you to work Thanksgiving, if you could work it would you (like if you didnt get a shift already), do you want to repeat it, etc. The answers were heavily majority in the NO column, no one was stoked or pleased to be working on this day. I think only 20% said yes.

I was not scheduled to work for this thanksgiving and after my accident I am still trying to get my shifts situated, havent been back yet. Just saw my black friday shift is gone, so hopefully I can get some hours but am not sure what the deal will be for me, just that Im happy I dont have to work on Thanksgiving and feel sorry for those who do. If I get a shift for Friday hopefully its when we are busy and not in the very early am like last year. I did have 8am but now its gone so it will be whatever they want now, so Im a bit worried.

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
kittyvibe, they sounds awful. what cheapscapes. and here that is a name store you would think one would be proud to work at. shame on them for treating employees that way.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I used to work for Macy's, and I thought there were some really neat things about them - but definitely they take advantage of people for little pay. I did cleaning, and I expected cleaning wouldn't be worth a high wage there. But the people selling those $100+ items only make $13 an hour here in Washington State - which is pretty high for some places, but at the time I worked there it was only $3 or so above minimum wage - not really enough to be buying those fancy clothes. (I understand that's part of what the employee discount is for - so the employees can afford to look like they are wealthy enough to shop at Macy's.)

Michael's craft stores are opening at 4:00 PM this year. Which is unreal!

·
Prop Master
728 Posts
I used to work for Macy's, and I thought there were some really neat things about them - but definitely they take advantage of people for little pay. I did cleaning, and I expected cleaning wouldn't be worth a high wage there. But the people selling those $100+ items only make $13 an hour here in Washington State - which is pretty high for some places, but at the time I worked there it was only $3 or so above minimum wage - not really enough to be buying those fancy clothes. (I understand that's part of what the employee discount is for - so the employees can afford to look like they are wealthy enough to shop at Macy's.)

Michael's craft stores are opening at 4:00 PM this year. Which is unreal!

That's the way it's going these day's because there are so many people bidding for job companies can get anyone for the lowest pay and if they don't like it's on to the next guy.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yeah. I know a lot of folks are trying to go the entrepeneur route to escape it - but it's hard if you don't have any business training, or the capital, or the credit to get capital.

·
Ghouls Rule
2,613 Posts
wow, I didnt know Michaels was opening at 4pm, so unreal, whats on sale there with such a good deal that they are making their employees work that they think customers cant wait to buy?

Jeez its one day to let families stay together, apparently its too much to ask for now. The good ol' days are long behind us and traditional family gatherings are being pushed aside by greedy company's. My co workers and I talk about how the CEO and other company fatcats are probably just eating up their delicious Thanksgiving dinner in luxury and leisure without a care to their workers and their families. Since my company does alot of charities, its hard to put your game face on for customers knowing your own company could really care less about you.

I just hope the trend doesnt stay afloat and companys will get the message it costs them to keep the lights on and employees on hand for peanuts and it wont be worth it.

I forgot who, but someone linked an article that said polls are showing less people are expected to shop this year on Turkey day vs last year (like the novelty wasnt as cool maybe after all?) and even through the weekend. The best sales for people who will be out and about are the 18-24 year olds, probably peeps at college looking for stuff for college (pcs, phones, clothes, etc. )
here is one article -->http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/25/thanksgiving-workers-black-friday_n_6212862.html

this one is really insightful---> http://www.marketwatch.com/story/despite-hype-only-11-of-us-plan-to-shop-over-thanksgiving-weekend-2014-11-20

Pretty soon we wont be celebrating Thanksgiving at all, it will just be another work day for all if non essential businesses are allowed to continue this rampant greed. Really though, if its stuff at department stores people are looking to buy deals on (clothing, shoes, purses, perfume) Ive come across deals during the regular year that are the same or better than the sales on Thanksgiving weekend and Christmas sales. Stuff at my store that sold for $80 you could get for $5, usually without the coupon.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
I honestly wonder how the companies would react if a group of people were to dress up in fancy costumes, blow past the line of fools, and each hold out a bag while approaching the counter to ask for candy/treats. It would not be cutting, as there would be no purchases being made. If security were to kick them out, could they sue, as all that they would be doing is celebrating Thanksgiving in a (what is now) less traditional capacity?

·
Registered
460 Posts
I honestly wonder how the companies would react if a group of people were to dress up in fancy costumes, blow past the line of fools, and each hold out a bag while approaching the counter to ask for candy/treats. It would not be cutting, as there would be no purchases being made. If security were to kick them out, could they sue, as all that they would be doing is celebrating Thanksgiving in a (what is now) less traditional capacity?
I don't know about legal stuff, but I think that would be unfair to do to the employees that work there. I think picketing outside is better, and then anything that can actually reach corporate instead of the people who are stuck in the bottom rung is probably best.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts