Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this article in my local paper today
Trick or treat ‘no go’ posters for Hyndburn folk (From This Is Lancashire)

It's just a sign people can put in their windows if they don't want to face TOTers on halloween, really aimed at the elderly and other vulnerable people.

Now, what came to my mind is the minority that are just out to cause trouble....a little sign isn't going to stop them bothering homes is it? We have a bit of a problem with anti-social behaviour, so would this sign not provoke them?:confused:

I just want to add this(from a national paper) as well. just found it on the internet: Hallowe'en: is trick or treating a good idea? - Times Online - The first paragraph made me groan..... At the end though, are figures/statistics for the UK this year. Quite surprising, really(in a good way!)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Wow I can't get over how many negative comments there were relating to that article! People need to get a sense of fun .. I wonder how many of these anti-TOTers would reject christmas carollers at their door.......... singing for money? Not that far removed from saying "trick or treat" for candy...*rolls eyes*

Don't they see that if it was a bigger event with more parents and children roaming the streets in costumes having fun, there would be less opportunity for the antisocial gangs and individuals to cause havoc? They only get away with it when no one is watching - if the streets were filled with people, they would (for the most part) be deterred. The more you hide from them, the more you enable them. They want us to be intimidated by their behaviour and ruin halloween for everyone - why let them?? It's along the same lines as the principle of terrorism - if we fear them then they have won.

On a lighter note, I'm liking the figures though! :D

·
Insane Genius
1,251 Posts
I actually make a double sided poster that I distribute to the local community.

Trick or treating has always had a bad name in the UK, but interestingly in my area since I've been running the haunt the amount of trouble the police report in our local area has actually gone down!

I've personally attributed this to having done something positive, all too often kids go out on the streets on Halloween inspired by a lot of US films and looking for a good time, only to find that its just another cold/dark November night. and sooner or later they get creative and find themselves causing trouble.

In our area we have turned this around, and where in the past there was trouble, there is now fun and a good time had by all

·
Doomed to walk the earth
1,062 Posts
If i was a toter, someone who had that sign would get corned ...and the article..well let me see.. you dont want your children expecting to be handed candy ..but when christmas comes they expect preasents ..Right????? wow that article did make me groan LOL ..some people just cant handle the fact that halloween is the second bigest holiday..and its not going away...as for the older folks ..turn off your porch light ..don't prevoke a halloween prank by posting a (we hate halloween) poster. sorry Freudstein these subjects make me mad LOL
anyway I hope you have a Happy Halloween

·
Registered
12,918 Posts
What ever happen to just turning you light out? When I was a a kid if they they didn't have a porch light on, or the obvious Jack-o-Lanterns/ Halloween decorations you just passed by.

·
Insane Genius
1,251 Posts
What ever happen to just turning you light out? When I was a a kid if they they didn't have a porch light on, or the obvious Jack-o-Lanterns/ Halloween decorations you just passed by.
This may be one of those cultural 'rules' that hasn't made its way over to the UK, plus many houses don't actually have porches, this is especially true in area where there are terraced housing and the front door opens directly onto the street... incidentally the same areas where we most associate with trouble

1 - 7 of 7 Posts