Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some trick light bulbs that will act as if they are shorting out. Not looking for candle flicker, but that act like you see in horror movies. Randomly flashing off and on.
Regular bulbs are fine, as are compact fluorescent.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Here's a simple flicker circuit, which might give the effect you're looking for.
These seem to have a highly random amount of variance for the current, so it might just give the appearance that the bulb/electricity is going out.

(grrr...forgot the link. Here it is: Projects Page 2 )

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only problem is that I am not using lamps, but light fixtures that are wired inside the walls. I need a simple plug and play solution.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The closest thing I have seen to what you want is in this thread:

http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/72535-bulb-flasher.html

but it flashes the bulbs and I think you want more of a flicker.
Maybe you could build the flicker circuit from the post above into one of those screw in adapters that gives you an outlet at a screw in lamp base:

Find Lampholder Socket Adapter, 2 Outlet Ivory and other Household Wiring Devices at Aubuchon Hardware

Rip it apart and try to jam the starter in there some how.

·
Registered
8 Posts
fluorescent starter socket

Found the fluorescent starters everywhere to make that flicker box but could not find the socket. I tried soldering the wires from the lamp cord and fuse holder directly to the tabs of the FS-2/5 but it wouldn't "stick". Need the socket to be safe. Here is where you can get the socket online in a jiff and only $0.89 each:
http://www.betson.com/parts/Acc_Lighting/

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I think he is looking for a sort of flicker circuit. He want to give the effect of a bulb shorting out.

When that happens, bulbs frequently go dim then on and off and inbetween as a poor connection is being made causing electricity to arc within the socket of the bulb itself.

This effect is best replicated by a flicker circuit. Just turning lights on or off does not look like they are burning out. It looks like someone is turning them on and off.

Craigmor, please chime in and clarify this for everyone.

After reading his first post again, I think that the effect he wants is a flicker circuit. What he doesn't want is those bulbs that look like a candle like these:

HALLOWEEN PARTY DECORATION FLICKER LIGHT BULB FOR LAMP - eBay (item 220289729867 end time Nov-02-08 15:04:11 PST)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts