Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight: 'The Simpsons': Guillermo del Toro on creating the epic opening to 'Treehouse of Horror XXIV'

In trying to scare up some laughs for its annual Halloween episode, The Simpsons also got deadly serious: They recruited big-screen writer-director Guillermo Del Toro. Known for crafting surreal worlds of fantasy and horror (Pan’s Labyrinth, The Devil’s Backbone) as well as action (Pacific Rim), Del Toro turned Springfield into his own wicked playground with a 2-minute-45-second couch gag/ opening-titles extravaganza to kick off Oct. 6′s “Treehouse of Horror XXIV.” It’s a dense, elaborate, clever, creepy, impressive creation — and it requires several viewings to process all of the action.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I enjoyed the episode. The Simpsons is well past its prime, but they seem to bring their A Game for these episodes. The "Freaks" parody was fun.

·
Registered
800 Posts
The Simpsons have been around for so long and many have written it off (due to writers moving on in their careers..leaving a batch of new writers who don't really stack up, according to some) but I still enjoy the show.

I can't stand a lot of the crap on TV these days (reality shows, lame TV series etc) - have only gotten into Agents of SHIELD, The Walking Dead and a few other shows - and I still enjoy the nostalgia factor..as The Simpsons reminds you of high school or whatever.

However, getting back to the show..today's episode was alright (wish we could have seen more Halloween references, but then again I guess that's been done in previous years) and I will watch it again to fully enjoy how good it was.

Personally, I'm not ready to write the show off just yet

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Simpsons has been surprising me lately. I wrote it off for many years, but started watching recently and have been impressed. Some truly funny jokes and witty writing. I also think they are trying to push the envelope a bit more a la Family Guy.

Tonight's episode was decent. I loved when they brought Moe out as a freak (just him sitting on a stool) and he says, "Hey anyone here from New Jersey? 'Cause I'm going there next week" and the lady screams and passes out.

American Dad was freaking hilarious tonight though with The Poltergeist tribute. Hilarious and awesome.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I respect everyone's opinions, but I think this was the worst Treehouse of Horrors I've ever seen, and I've watched them all. About 3 - 5 years ago The Simpsons changed. They lost their heart. The show always had its outrageous moments, but it also had a charm and light-hearted family vibe at its core. Unfortunately Family Guy came along, and the Simpsons starting trying to compete with its tactless, mean-spirited humor. The Simpsons lost its charm.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Opening was amazing the segments in the show were so so. THoH were amazing the first 10 or 12 times but so so after that.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Dang! I missed it! In years past they didn't have the Treehouse of Terror broadcast until after the World Series!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I thought the episode itself was alright. I did enjoy the opening though. I thought it was more enjoyable than the episode itself.

And like icezombie said that American Dad episode was hilarious.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I respect everyone's opinions, but I think this was the worst Treehouse of Horrors I've ever seen, and I've watched them all. About 3 - 5 years ago The Simpsons changed. They lost their heart. The show always had its outrageous moments, but it also had a charm and light-hearted family vibe at its core. Unfortunately Family Guy came along, and the Simpsons starting trying to compete with its tactless, mean-spirited humor. The Simpsons lost its charm.
I couldn't have said it better myself. I stopped watching THoH around the 12th season in and show itself probably around the same time. It was unfortunate because I looked forward to THoH every year. I grew up watching The Simpsons, so to see what the show evolved to from what it was, for me it's disappointing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts