Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always wanted a spooky old tree for our graveyard. It is a simple PVC armature, chicken wire form and Great Stuff standing over 10' tall. I created a simple socket system to attach and remove the limbs for storage. Now I will be working on the atmospheric elements (fogger, sound system, lighting, etc.) My original idea had a cloaked figure embedded in the tree with the hole being its darkened face. You can make this out in the final pic, but it might be too subtle and unnoticable in the dark. Still undecided as to what I want to do in the hole, a skull that lights up by sensor, an air cannon, glowing eyes. Suggestions welcome. Thanks for viewing.

Attachments

·
Psychic or Psychotic?
714 Posts
That looks fantastic. I love spooky old trees. The carving, painting and detailing are superb. I also like the fact you can take the limbs off to make it easier to store. I have to seriously rebuild my spooky tree now. Mine looks like it was made by a 3 year old. :(

How many cans of great stuff did it take?

·
>^..^<
797 Posts
Thank you for the step by step. I love the "looming" look you achieved!

I like the idea of glowing eyes in the hole (or a skull with glowing eyes) being triggered by a sensor. Or you could have bats or JOLs suspended from the limbs whose eyes would light up by sensor.

·
Celtic Spirit
2,100 Posts
The talent on this forum never fails to amaze me. Great job Neb! I would expect light up eyes in a tree so I like the idea of an air cannon. Cuz I would be trying to look in there and an unexpected air blast would scare the crap out of me. lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That looks fantastic. I love spooky old trees. The carving, painting and detailing are superb. I also like the fact you can take the limbs off to make it easier to store. I have to seriously rebuild my spooky tree now. Mine looks like it was made by a 3 year old. :(

How many cans of great stuff did it take?
Thanks! I lost track because I actually started this last year, but ran out of time. I put the can count somewhere between 35-40 (16oz). Near the end I stopped counting because I liked how it was turning out and I was way past the point of no return.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I started a year ago but between a lack of time and being unsure of how I wanted to attach the limbs I didn't work on it until this summer. I would say I have a few months worth of work into it. It was like watching paint dry.....

·
Registered
702 Posts
It looks so natural, I think that if you add anything to it you may miss an opportunity for realism. I would add a shadowy creature behind the tree and have them pop out behind it. (To me it looks so good as is, that many people won’t expect an addition prop incorporated into it. It may take a few people by surprise. just my 2cents)

BTW, if you have the time could you tell us how you made the finish look so good?

My neighbor has wanted to make a tree like this for years, but did not want it to look fake. This would do the trick for sure.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
First off, Heck, I'm impressed with how CLEAN your garage is!!!

Seriously, beautiful job on the tree. I salute your industriousness as well - my solution would be to plant a sapling and wait 40 years...

And, where DO you store your props?

1 - 20 of 93 Posts