Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Fellow Forum Members,

I thought it was about time to create a 2015 TransWorld thread. I've booked my flight and hotel and will book my tickets this week. This will be my forth year going. I always have a blast and have met some great exhibitors over the years. I have never signed up for a seminar, would you guys recommend it?

PS. There are some great deals on hotels. I'm staying at the Four Seasons for $175 a night!

·
Registered
304 Posts
i will be attending as well. went last year huge blast..luckily i live in the metro area, so ill be driving. if you want a cheaper hotel and are able to drive to get to the event let me know. ill let you know some good safe smaller cities that can get you in for under 100 a night.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE=theric85;1729047]i will be attending as well. went last year huge blast..luckily i live in the metro area, so ill be driving. if you want a cheaper hotel and are able to drive to get to the event let me know. ill let you know some good safe smaller cities that can get you in for under 100 a night.[/QUOTE]

Hey,

Thanks for the offer for hotel, but I'm flying in from Canada so I want to stay right downtown. Did you take part in any seminars last year?

·
Registered
304 Posts
No prob. No seminars for me, I have to work the first two days of it, and usually Saturday I spend all day checking everything out. Sunday is a day I go back to buy stuff.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi Spinechiller,

Enjoy TransWorld when you walk in its sensory overload! we have only stayed at the Renassaince as it is across the street from the convention center, it is also a couple blocks from a grocery store so it is convenient (it may be booked up by now though?) I have taken some seminars, it's hit or miss? If you are making the trip from Canada judge your time by the classes that you want to take? Not sure how many days/nights you are there for, but to walk the trade floor and talk with vendors can take 2 + days. It can be done in a few hours but you are not talking with vendors, just walking briskly through the show at that pace, TW is a vendor/buyer oriented show and the classes are only as good as the people teaching them? I have had instructors get up there with slide projectors and go from slide to slide showing the work they have done with little or no explanation... I have taken a class with Allan Hops (I think) and he showed everyone how to make cool, cheap, and easy props, it just depends on what you are looking for and what its worth to you? (time is money) I would suggest going to the Darkness tour and the city museum tour, city museum is open to the public anyway and if you are on the saving money side you dont have to sign up through the TW site, you just dont get pizza and access to the party room (no big deal) and you dont have to wait in the looong line to get into city museum if you just go as a normal customer and not through TransWorld. Go enjoy have fun report back.

PS if you rent a car look up Ted Drewes, its a frozen custard place its been on a couple food network shows and its good! give it a try.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm going to transworld this year for the first time, thanks for the tips dusitn2471

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Spinechiller,

Enjoy TransWorld when you walk in its sensory overload! we have only stayed at the Renassaince as it is across the street from the convention center, it is also a couple blocks from a grocery store so it is convenient (it may be booked up by now though?) I have taken some seminars, it's hit or miss? If you are making the trip from Canada judge your time by the classes that you want to take? Not sure how many days/nights you are there for, but to walk the trade floor and talk with vendors can take 2 + days. It can be done in a few hours but you are not talking with vendors, just walking briskly through the show at that pace, TW is a vendor/buyer oriented show and the classes are only as good as the people teaching them? I have had instructors get up there with slide projectors and go from slide to slide showing the work they have done with little or no explanation... I have taken a class with Allan Hops (I think) and he showed everyone how to make cool, cheap, and easy props, it just depends on what you are looking for and what its worth to you? (time is money) I would suggest going to the Darkness tour and the city museum tour, city museum is open to the public anyway and if you are on the saving money side you dont have to sign up through the TW site, you just dont get pizza and access to the party room (no big deal) and you dont have to wait in the looong line to get into city museum if you just go as a normal customer and not through TransWorld. Go enjoy have fun report back.

PS if you rent a car look up Ted Drewes, its a frozen custard place its been on a couple food network shows and its good! give it a try.
Thanks for all the tips, do you have a recommendation for flavour to order at Ted Drewes?

·
Registered
120 Posts
whatever you like, my personal favorite is caramel apple pie:rolleyes: but they have some other great combinations, its a bit of a drive from the convention center but both my wife and I look forward to Ted Drewes when we go to St Louis. Another food network location is the Shaved Duck, very good BBQ & beer we usually go there before Ted's. As it gets closer and the more I think about it I am jealous :eek:

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
whatever you like, my personal favorite is caramel apple pie:rolleyes: but they have some other great combinations, its a bit of a drive from the convention center but both my wife and I look forward to Ted Drewes when we go to St Louis. Another food network location is the Shaved Duck, very good BBQ & beer we usually go there before Ted's. As it gets closer and the more I think about it I am jealous :eek:
Thanks, I look forward to checking both places out! Have you taken part in any of these seminars https://registration.haashow.com/events/show/hs11#EventRegistrations I'm looking for prop based seminars ideally :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have not done any of the Wednesday seminars, on Thursday I have taken "how to get started in the haunt business" I had a different instructor and it was informative and I learned some things but worth the money, I am not sure? Looking at the classes I would take the DMX one on Thursday since I struggle at times with dmx. I have not done any of the friday seminars. I did a course similar to the Mind Blowing set pieces and hand props 2 years ago taught by Allan Hopps (worth the time and money), I also took a painting and aging technique class and I dont remember a single thing other than the speaker sat up there showing a slide show of things he had done... not worth time nor the money. That being said I dont believe its the same instructor(s) this year. The social gathering stuff, I would go to the flamingo bowling, that sounds fun, city museum ( http://citymuseum.org/site/?p=31 ) (I would do once every couple years, probably like I said before though I wouldnt go through TransWorld and just enter as a normal patron (no food or drink but at $12 a person its allot more reasonable than $40 per person, for that $40 per you get to eat pizza, wings, and have a beer.. although this year they have a scavenger hunt, so of course your call if you think its worth it or that you are missing out on something? I have never done the price is fright, 2 years ago we went to the Darkness tour and it was a schedule conflict, last year we left Saturday evening, next year we will go, so would I do Price is Fright.. yes but thats just me. We (the wife and I) have watched several of the free to everyone seminars and demonstrations. The Darkness tour, Lemp Brewery tour, 3 years ago we did them and that was the our first time at TW, I think the tours are worth it. We did Darkness the 2nd year also, even though Larry does an extensive remodel we skipped last year, next year we will do the tours again though, you get to see with the lights on the details and see a little bit behind the curtain as how things are done you can always get the more expensive Darkness tours where you can ask questions and what-not? Its hard for me to say do this or dont do that, depends on what you are looking for? Reverse engineer a prop? borrow ideas? Get new ideas? take your camera and take a tone of pictures or better yet video.

I have to ask, are you a pro haunter? wanting to go pro? or a couple short of a six pack home haunter like me?

·
Look behind you
1,316 Posts
I'm bummed that I won't be able to go this year, but I hope you all have a good time.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I would look over the seminars and decide based on my interest in the subject being taught. It should not be hard to look up the instructor to see if they are a person with skills you would want to learn from. To me the speed seminars were going to be too short and thus shallow for my interest. I will be doing the city museum as a TW event (good tip Dustin on just going as the public). BTW I'm pretty sure Jen (TW producer) said this is the last year for the price is fright.
I will also do the Sunday morning free seminar, to see what they are showing and to be social. I'll also hit up the makeup demo's.
You should stop by the Froggy's sponsored ballroom and the Ren hotel on evenings you are not doing other things.
Midwest is a much better show for most haunters to find a lot of interesting seminars, and for a good price.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The Haunted Nightmare crew will be there again this year. We found out that the Ramada is undergoing renovations and they only have two floors available.
Probably no bar or restaurant. This could be a good thing- or a bad thing? I have a room there but might end up sharing a double at the Ren instead.
Has anyone else heard about this yet?
Pete

·
Registered
304 Posts
just registered, cya guys there..

if you don't want to make the drive to ted drewes, there is an even better home made ice cream spot just a couple of miles from the event. its called krown candy kitchen, its been featured on man v. food. its a 10 out of 10 in my book. they sell chocolate bars of many varieties home made. its one you do not want to pass up.

·
Spooky Express
702 Posts
Someday maybe I'll be able to go to this show, it seems to become even more amazing every year. For now, though, I hope someone who is going posts a video :)

Reactions: Spinechiller

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Someday maybe I'll be able to go to this show, it seems to become even more amazing every year. For now, though, I hope someone who is going posts a video :)
Yes, definitely try to go at some point, my fav show by far! I will for sure take photos, and I will try to take video. I have never taken long videos before.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts