Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been posting images of projects we were getting ready for the Transworld Show. Now that's its over, I thought I would post some finished pictures from the show.

The "grey" Critter starts at 8ft and rises to over 10ft (head, arm, mouth movements)
The Pumpkin and the "brown" Critter are built around wheelchairs.

Thanks for looking,

Jim
Out of the Dark Studio

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How to do Stuff

With the Pumpkin, we used 700lbs of WED clay - sculpted onto a wooden armature. For the pumpkin, we used a plastic material from POLYTEK to make the mold. The skins are made from latex. The pumpkin's arms were sculpted from WED, but because they're not as big as the head, we molded them out of ULTRACAL 30

With the Critter, we used 400lbs of WED clay, sculpted onto a wooden armature. For the Critter, we used ULTRACAL 30 to make the mold. Arms done the same way as the pumpkin's. ULTRACAL 30 is a gypsum plaster material.

The Critter "head mold" weights in at about 210lbs. The Pumpkin's "head mold" weights in at about 65lbs.

Plaster molds cause latex to set up faster, but can get heavy. Plastic/fiberglass molds cause latex to set up slower (moisture does not get absorbed by these materials), but are much lighter.

You have to choose which materials work the best for you.

WED clay has glyserin in it, which causes it to dry slower, thus giving you more time to work with it.

Hope this helps some,

Jim
Out of the Dark Studio

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
These were great-looking and very scary. The artistic quality was wonderful. I was looking forward to seeing these live. They did not disappoint in the least.

·
Vicious Dog Wrangler
1,012 Posts
Those are sickly awesome props...do you have any pricing available or a website?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Props

We (my partner and I: Out of the Dark Studio) sculpted and fabricated the skins for many of the props in NIGHTSCREAM STUDIOS' line of products at Transworld. Nightscream Studios was responsible for the metal fabrication and animatonics. These pieces are offered only through NIGHTSCREAM STUDIOS.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts