Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all.

First I would like to say GREAT SITE and keep up the good work.

I have been running my props with washing machine solenoids , powered with RS x10 system. So when I hit the on/off on the main switch, eveything happens pretty fast.

Now Im getting into using 24vdc solenoid 4 ways. The problem Im having is the cylinder takes a good of 4 secs to reset. Looks like power still running thru the transformer after I press off. Is there a way to fix this?
Im new to using these and dont know all the tricks. Sorry if im being vauge in my description.

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just a guess, but it sounds like your solenoids don't draw much current, and there are capacitors in the wall wart that hold the solenoids open until they drain. You could either find a way to interrupt the 24V line, or maybe connect a heavy resistor like this one across the output of the transformer. Just be aware that the longer you have the prop triggered the hotter the resistor will get.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Now the how to if you have the time. Would this resistor be installed inside the transformer? Ill do some looking on the net for the answer also.

Thanks

·
Registered
522 Posts
What cylinders are you using? Are they double acting or single acting?

This may not be an electrical problem at all -

If they are single acting, then you may just need to add a bungee or spring to cause the return of the cylinder to happen faster.

If they are double acting and you are using them as single acting cylinders (Driving a single port), you probably have a bleeder valve on the that just needs to be opened up some.

If they are double acting and you are driving both ports on the cylinder, then you are back to it being an electrical problem, double check that the valves are AC or DC and that they match your wall wart.

·
Registered
227 Posts
This may not be an electrical problem at all -
Good point. I don't do much with pneumatics, so I hadn't thought about that angle.

You can check to see where the problem is by feeling the solenoid when you deactivate it. You should be able to feel it "thunk" when it closes. If it closes as soon as you remove power from the transformer, then your problem is with the air release. If there's a delay, it's electrical.

If it is electrical, put the resistor across the + and - terminals of the wall wart - no need to put it inside.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for getting back to me. Im guessing electrical, reason is when I unplugged from wall the wires touched and sparked .If I remember correctly.... (Old age)... I was kinda like WOW the thing is unplugged. But I will look into all options when I get in the garage Sunday.

Thanks Again.

·
Registered
522 Posts
when I unplugged from wall the wires touched and sparked
Depends on the wall wart, if it is a DC wall wart, then it may have a capacitor built into it that stores the DC power and will spark even after it is unplugged. This is the reason for the resistor hedge is telling you to put in the circuit to drain this power from the wall wart.

If it is an AC wall wart (aka transformer) then it won't have a capacitor, and shouldn't spark.

Are you turning on and off the low voltage side of the wall wart or the High Voltage (110VAC) side of the wall wart?

I always switch the low voltage side, so as not to stress the relay or push button switch, and just because it is safer. Switching on the low voltage side also avoids problems like you are describing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The setup is a RS x10 module plugged in the house outlet and the wallwart 110vac /24vdc plugged into that. Then I hit the on/off on the main switch of the x10. So yes im using from the 110vac side.

The RS x10 modules are for 120vac. So I couldnt put them anywere else in line. Scince Im using this to run the props. Thats if Im understanding you correctly.

I havent got that far in running the props any other way. The kids like to activate them also. So I dont run matts or sensors.

By the way I ran to RS to get a resistor . All I could find is 8 ohm,20watts. Conected it the wires and BAM it fixed the issue. Ran a tester on it and no power coming out. Ran the double acting cylinder and worked much better. I couldnt find a higher OHM at RS. By getting a higher OHM will that be better in the long run? Also Im not running my props on a constant basis, just when the kids come by for candy.

Thanks again for all the help. You guys are great

·
Registered
522 Posts
you can put two or more resistors in series to get a higher ohm value.

-----/\/RESISTOR1\/\/---------/\/RESISTOR2\/\/-----------

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I would just connect them one after another on the + side for the higher ohms?

Would this dissipate any power left over after turning the wallwart off?

Ill just try for the hell of it. Live and learn..lol...Off to the Shack again.

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts