Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am new to haunting and could use help figuring out a problem. How do I transfer and enlarge hand drawn copies of tombstones or other items to foam boards?

Another of what will be many questions:
Where can I find templates of tombstones for 4' x 8' sheets of foam board?

Thanks for your help in advance!

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
You'll want to use an art projector for getting the image onto the large pieces of foam.
Essentially, these work much like the overhead projectors used in schools / colleges.
Here's an example:
Prism Art Projector
(admittedly, this one's a bit pricey)
Here's a cheaper option:
eBay: Projecta-Scope tracer

These will project an enlarged version of your drawing onto a flat surface (the sheet of foam), and all you have to do is trace the lines with a pencil / pen / chalk / paint / etc. Once traced, you turn off the projector and there's your linework on the foam.

·
Registered
277 Posts
rasterbator.net. I have the standalone version from a couple years ago--I think they've revamped the online version since then. It's what I use to get hand-drawn templates blown up for tombstones. You just import your image, then it blows it up & prints out a multi page pdf. Tape them together and trace. Best of all, it's free.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eerie, I am having trouble using rasterbator.net. I am having difficulty uploading pictures and then getting the picture set to the exact measurements I want. I have to spend time trying to figure it out. Doesn't help that its in mm or cm and not inches. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ugly Joe,

Projectors were the option I had in mind but I thought there might be an alternative that I could use without spending more money. I found some full size projectors on eBay and craigslist that are under $100. The projecta-scope looks like it only picks up a portion of the project you trace before needing to move it.

Any other suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Any ideas where I can find free templates of tombstones laid out for 4' x 8' sheets?

I made a layout of my own but would like some that might be more appealing to me.

pmichael

·
Registered
277 Posts
Eerie, I am having trouble using rasterbator.net. I am having difficulty uploading pictures and then getting the picture set to the exact measurements I want. I have to spend time trying to figure it out. Doesn't help that its in mm or cm and not inches. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!
It's been almost a year since I opened it last, but I remember when I first started, I had to play with it a bit before I got the hang of it. I know that Terra has a video in which she demonstrates it for her Captain-pirate-guy tombstone (sorry, Terra, I forgot the exact name!). Give me a minute and I'll find it for you.

·
Registered
277 Posts

Thanks!
It's been almost a year since I opened it last, but I remember when I first started, I had to play with it a bit before I got the hang of it. I know that Terra has a video in which she demonstrates it for her Captain-pirate-guy tombstone (sorry, Terra, I forgot the exact name!). Give me a minute and I'll find it for you.

{EDIT}Time passes...

Okay, here it is: Designing Halloween Tombstones

·
Registered
277 Posts
Oh, and you can also find lots of tombstone shapes and designs with a simple Google Images search for "tombstone templates." Doesn't matter how big the image is--you can enlarge it in Rasterbator. There are a couple layouts on this page, and I know I've seen others.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Okay, so I thought I'd work up a quick step-by-step for the standalone version of Rasterbator. Hope this helps.

1. Scan your image, and convert if necessary to .jpg, .gif, .png, .tif, or .bmp.
2. Run Rasterbator
3. On the first screen, select your image file
4. On the second screen, click the radio button for "Standard Paper Size," and in the box, select "US Letter" (assuming that you're in the US, anyway).
5. You can choose portrait or landscape--it really makes no difference, except that you might end up using an extra few sheets of paper.
6. On the next screen, you should see your image divided by a grid. You have to choose how wide or tall you want it to be, and that's based on the number of sheets of paper wide or tall. Each block in the grid represents a sheet of paper. Here's the thing--it doesn't have to be full sheets. I have a tombstone that I want to be 22" wide. That's 55.88 centimeters (thank you, Google). I can't get that exact size, but at "2.6 sheets wide" I can get it to 56.2 cm, and that's close enough. I could do it by height, too--same procedure.
7. On the next screen, you get some options. It's up to you whether you want the cut-out line. I always use it because it helps me to align the pages in the final printout.
8. The next thing is really important--the dot size. The lower the number you use here, the finer the line you'll get, and that's what you want. Choose "1" here, and click "Continue." Rasterbator will try to warn you about memory usage and time--just click "yes." You're only doing outlines; it's not a problem.
9. Pick your final file name, and click "Rasterbate!"
10. When it's done running, you'll have a pdf you can print out and tape together. Then attach it to your stone--tape or adhesive spray--and you're ready to carve.

I hope this helps you through the process. It's really pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I've also used Adobe Acrobat to do this. On the printing menu, you can choose poster and blow up any PDF image. Then you just tape the pages together. It's super handy.
Presentation1.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts