Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've wanted to do a ghost train for a while now and this year it's happening. :) The majority of the build is 2x2's and 1/4 subfloor mahogany ply. These materials are keeping down both the weight and cost of the build. The main boiler is just 2 4' diameter circles strung together with 2x2's and wrapped in the 1/4" ply.
GOPR7157.jpg
GOPR7165.jpg
My boiler door is actually the hatch from an old hospital laundry chute. I got it a few years ago before the building was scheduled for demolition.
GOPR7168.jpg
GOPR7173.jpg
The boiler provides a nice dry environment for my fog machines.
Anyhoo, thought you Halloween folks would enjoy seeing the progress. :)

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In the vid it's still just people powered, but I've set it up to install a wiper motor today. I'll post some pic's of the set up when I get it finished.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thx ghosts and ghouls. :) Here's a little vid showing the mechanic's of the wheel. Once again the wiper motor is worth it's weight in gold when it comes to these type of projects.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Thx ghosts and ghouls. :) Here's a little vid showing the mechanic's of the wheel. Once again the wiper motor is worth it's weight in gold when it comes to these type of projects.
Actually, the strength of that motor is much more then I would have thought. Is that noise coming from the motor or something else? Doesn't sound healthy and would be a little concerned on the lifespan if it is the motor.

Either way, the effect is working and coming along nicely with the fog out the stack.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been using this particular motor for approx 12 years now on different props. It's always had that gear sound from the get go. (It's my experience some wiper motors are silent others aren't) Because the wheel is weighted between two spokes it is uneven and responsible for the sound speeding up and slowing down. (similar concept to engine braking when the weight passes the top) The power supply also has a circuit breaker built it. It typically trips if the motor is overloaded. I ran the wheel today for approx 6 hours without issue. :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Thanks for the reply. 12 years of real use trumps 12 hrs of Youtube any day. I am still trying to get a handle on how much weight those wiper motors can actually handle.
Do you mind telling me which motor you are actually using?

Wait are you telling me that motor is 12 years old? If so DAANNNNNNGGGGGG!!!!!!!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wait are you telling me that motor is 12 years old? If so DAANNNNNNGGGGGG!!!!!!!
I can't tell you the exact motor I'm using Ed. That was a long time ago. I bought it from an auto wrecker. It was actually quite the ordeal. lol I asked for a cheap one (cause they can range from $5-$205 depending on the model) but that's not the way the junkyard computer searches work. lmao. Ya gotta enter, make, model year so it took him forever to find me something cheap Eventually, if I remember correctly, he gave me one off an old Mazda. The power supply having it's own circuit breaker really helps. You'll never overload the motor. I've used it on a haunted ouija board for a while, then it powered a haunted dresser. from there it became a crank arm ghost power supply and then the legs of a giant spider. I think a few of those were posted here on this forum. :)

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This one is from 7 years ago and if ya listen you can hear the motor over the music. Some of em are just torchy AF. ;)

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I am still trying to get a handle on how much weight those wiper motors can actually handle.
A lot. Found a redneck tinkerer on Youtube a while back that did a test, gradually filling a bucket with lead weights. I know it will depend on your linkage/leverage, but he was able to lift over 90 pounds with his simple setup. I was stunned. Wiper motors may be the most over-engineered part of a car.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My wipers often break ice and push a ton of wet heavy snow up here in Canada. ;) They have to be built tough. :) A friend of mine actually made mention that some wiper motors have planetary type gears to increase torch. It might be why this one has always had a metal gear sound to it. :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
A lot. Found a redneck tinkerer on Youtube a while back that did a test, gradually filling a bucket with lead weights. I know it will depend on your linkage/leverage, but he was able to lift over 90 pounds with his simple setup. I was stunned. Wiper motors may be the most over-engineered part of a car.
Yea I am amazed also I was thinking more like 20 -25 tops. 90 though wow

My wipers often break ice and push a ton of wet heavy snow up here in Canada. ;) They have to be built tough. :) A friend of mine actually made mention that some wiper motors have planetary type gears to increase torch. It might be why this one has always had a metal gear sound to it. :)
Yea make sence never thought about how much snow they can move. Usually the torgue on the wiper bolts give out before the motor.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts