Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had ABC on tonight watching the Toy Story Special celebrating 20 years. Really?? Already?? Enjoyed it then and watching the movie now and still enjoying it. I think Andy's neighbor Sid turned out to be a future Horror movie director LOL. He created some real nightmare toys. Favorite was the doll head on the erector set legs, at least that's what I think the legs were. Loved the creativity in the film.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,773 Posts
I have two of those doll head spider thingy toys, one MIP & the other loose because it was too cool to not buy one to display & one to keep.

I think it doesn't seem like 20 years because they've made so many specials & sequels. I much prefer the movies to their weird holiday specials. Their holiday specials never seem holiday related.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't you think the Crazy Bonez skeleton dog GR sold called Sparky looks similar to Sid's dog, Skud, in skeleton form? Maybe a potential Halloween theme down the road...Like Sid's House and toys??

Anyway thinking "20 years" just made me feel a bit older...until I laughed at some of the lines. Hubby likes the one "falling with style" that Buzz says but a lot of the toys had some good lines. While I've seen the sequels and thought they were well done and special in their own way (kind of growing up like we all did), nothing compares to seeing the first TS movie and enjoying it for its sheer originality and the technology at the time. We had been viewing the Pixar shorts for a few years before TS came out. ACM SIGGRAPH would occasionally run them. Always a meeting worth attending just to see them. TS was quite a leap beyond those. I also remember a program called RenderMan that was early in 3D animation work. Fun, exciting times. 'Course years before that I remember attending a university computer science event demonstrating new computer technology (with animated graphical capabilities). Recall it was moving lines and colors set to music. Pretty primitive in retrospect but exciting back then when what was generated was based on numbers and text. Keypunching cards and reading in programs to mainframes was not all that exciting to me but this had lots of potential.

Hey just looked up RenderMan and saw that this year Pixar made the software free for public non-commercial use: http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/31/pixar-makes-its-renderman-software-free-for-public-non-commercial-use

1 - 4 of 4 Posts