Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked upi a Toxic Zombie from Spirit Halloween and when I put it together to test it, I could not get it to work, I followed the instructions, but no go, I can't find a on/off switch anywhere. Does anyone have an idea of what I have done wrong or if there is a switch where it might be hiding?

·
Mistress of Darkness
1,689 Posts
I picked upi a Toxic Zombie from Spirit Halloween and when I put it together to test it, I could not get it to work, I followed the instructions, but no go, I can't find a on/off switch anywhere. Does anyone have an idea of what I have done wrong or if there is a switch where it might be hiding?

I worked briefly at the Spirit store locally and they had 2 of these. Neither one worked.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you visited a Spirit store that has one on display (that is functioning)? If you find one, you could as the manage of the store how they assembled it or how it operates. My recent purchase from Spirit was a dud. I ended up having to get a new prop.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think most of today's props use either the loud sound activated sensor or the light change sensor. Then the sensor sees a change in the light level it activates the prop. If you don't have enough light then it won't activate. They don't post manuals or assembly instructions on their site that I was able to find so no help there. Did you call Spirit corporate and ask for help ? Or the store where you bought it ? If so and it still does not work then take it back.

My 2 cents Its over priced for what it is and does in my opinion but not everyone can build this stuff either so I understand you wanting to have one. I just wish the quality was better than it is.

Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
First I would unhook the motor from the prop and see if it works at all when plugged in.
If not, try manually forcing the motor in either direction. Sometimes electric motors like this sieze up in shipping. If you're lucky, the motor might unjam and take off.
Otherwise, definately try to exchange it.
You can reach Spirit Customer Service at 1-866-586-0155 (in the U.S. only) or email [email protected].

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have talked to the store owner and he had a crew put the sotre and all his props up and they dont rememeber anything, figures, the owner said that it might be the sound sensor and that I should bring it back for exchange ( if he can get another one from another store) or refund. I hope that he can get another one.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have the solution for you. First you will need to return the cheap piece of junk back the the store and get a refund. Second spend your money on a quality prop. Seriously I am only half joking here, but I would definitely return the prop. Spirit may offer inexpensive animatronic props but for good reason, there poorly designed/made.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You do get what you pay for. The props are all by Gemmy, a manufacturer in China. Unfortunately, China is becoming infamous for substandard goods, be it lead paint toys, or unsafe cars.
The challenge is that the number of hardcore customers who will buy the $150 and $250 props is limited. Thus each store gets around 10 of each, with 600 Spirit stores nationwide, that's only 6000 pieces. From many manufacturers, thats barely a minimum order. Thus there is little bulk discount, so Spirit must go with the less expensive chineese brands to keep their prices down.
Although I do have to ask, did you read the instructions? If so, were they in Engrish?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't know about his prop, but my prop instructions just stated how to put it together, like exteding the figure to full size, snapping on head and plugging AC adaptor in. The directions did not cover any of the wiring, motor, or sensor information. All of that was supposed to be put together already before you open the box. Vague to say the least. No troubleshooting guides. It either works or not, with no assistance in getting it running if it isn't.

By the way, the instructions were in English & Spanish.

253 Posts
I started to buy one at my local Spirit store and the owner told me not to. He told me himself that it wasn't worth the money and that he had 2 in the back that had already stopped working. However, he did offer me his floor model which was working (everything except the lights in the eyes) for $75 cash. I went ahead and bought it for that price. It still went up and down and the lights inside the barrel worked - I'll see if my DH can wiggle some wires to get the lights in the eyes working again. I think the owner just wanted it out of there because he genuinely felt bad about the quality of the product he was selling. We've spent quite a bit of $ in his store so I think he felt obligated to tell me the truth about the product.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I guess I got lucky. I got mine from Spirit Halloween with free shipping and 20% discount. My only complaint is the special effects speaker was too low. So I removed the base and spliced in powered speakers with volume control. I added an extra fog maker I had laying around and the result was a noticible improvement. This is not a great prop but with a little work it can be a good one. My suggestion to those who are experiencing trouble is to remove the six or seven phillip screws at the base of the zombie, remove the bottom half of the base and check for loose wires. It may be a simple fix, since the circuit board is poorly soldered. Good Luck-Pete

1 - 13 of 13 Posts