Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This MIGHT be my last year for doing an elaborate display and giving out large stuffed toys, king sized candy bars, larger toys, and other goodies.

I love it, but between work scheduling, budget, and the time/physical challenges of putting together a great haunt... I can't honestly say it will happen next year. It may barely happen THIS year, but I at least have all the toys and candy purchased.

Anyway, I live in a very rural area that- without the big haunt- would only attract about 30 TOTs. I get over 150, and the TOTs come from miles away. Some hay rides even visit my house.

Should I tell TOTs not to bother making a special trip next year? Should I put up some sort of sign thanking them and saying this might well be the last year for The Big Haunt (and Big Treats.)

I'd feel just awful to have kids from 6 miles away make the trip only to be disappointed next year when they might only find a 'normal' house.
:(:confused:

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Perhaps it would be a good idea to create a "farewell" letter from your haunt to anyone who receives anything from it...

Nice script font...teastain the paper (or even parchment or vellum if you want to make them elaborate)...a thank you and farewell for the body of the letter..."this is the last year we'll be doing this"...etc...

Make sure everyone gets a copy of the letter...that way, the word gets out, no one questions whether it's all rumor about it being the last year...things like that...

Hope everything's okay with you and family and all that - I'm certain it's a painful decision to make to call it quits.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everything is fine. I'm just a one-person operation, and I'm not gettin' any younger! Sadly, it's simply becoming more of a chore than a pleasure.

Both the sign and the notes are good ideas. Any ideas for verbage? This is so hard. :( But the decision should be made this year.

My next door neighbors will be THRILLED. No more overflow TOTs to their house.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
The Spirits have found Their Peace...no longer will they roam our world.

We thank you for keeping the Halloween spirit with us through the years, as this will be the last year (insert name of your haunt - if it doesn't have one yet, now's a great time to make one that will be a legend in your town) will be run.

We have enjoyed the laughter and screams of all our guests for the time we've been able to host this haunt, but we must let the dead move on...we will remember them as fondly as you.

Keep the spirit alive!

That's a real fast, off the cuff idea - I'm sure you can elaborate and develop it into a moving little farewell speech.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I LOVE that, Joe. Damn! Almost brought tears to my eyes. I may have to add a few more special items to this years' treats to make it memorable. Something unique... who knows.

I'd like to leave the creaking mausoleum door open and never say never... maybe a hiatus rather a retirement. You know how those pesky spirits never stay QUITE dead. Maybe after the TOT count gets back to a small number, I will once again do something special some day.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am wanting to cry for you, because you closing will be one last haunter... Booo hooo... May peace find you.
the thing that sucks is that this will happen to all of us at some point!!! Even at 37, I have to admit I get tired of decorating after a while. I also have the problem that I bring in all my decorations every night.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,880 Posts
The nice thing about stopping for a year or two is that you can always decide to start up again! ;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
the thing that sucks is that this will happen to all of us at some point!!! Even at 37, I have to admit I get tired of decorating after a while. I also have the problem that I bring in all my decorations every night.
I have that problem too. I do have a nine year old that helps out though and good thing, I'm a 46 year old single mom and dang it, my body wears out much quicker. Some days are worse than others and I don't put the stuff out every night like I used to.

Joe, that about made me cry too! :(

I know that would be a loss to the children that look forward to it, but maybe it will inspire them to beg their parents to do something and they will become haunters themselves!

·
lies dead but dreaming
952 Posts
I feel for you and those who will miss your haunt, but I understand that we will all come to a point that we just can't keep up with what we want to do any more. But stay with us and share your experiences. you might just find some one close by who will want to continue what you have started

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sadly, we are in the same situation - time constraints, decreased funding, maintenance problems, rising expectations, disgruntled neighbors, erratic traffic on deadend street - so we may not have a Halloween yard display in 2009 either. This is an emotional and difficult decision to make. We began by mentioning it on our website & the word got out that this is most likely the final year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts