Halloween Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Also (and sorry this is getting a little far afield from just lack of costume)... the adults. There's that moment when you're standing out in the yard with one of the neighbors during a brief interval of quiet, admiring your handiwork and talking about what it takes to put it all on, and you casually reach out and slip them a fun-size Snickers bar...and just for a moment their jaw drops...and then they get that secret smile....

Priceless.

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
This is an easy one for me. Everyone is welcome at my door. If adults are taking kids around. Kudos for them. They even get something. Although kids without costumes. They need to make some effort. So they get something. But they have to do a trick for a treat. Sing. Dance. Tell a joke. Something. You'd be surprised how amusing this can be . For examples. I gave a treat to one little girl. Then they whispered for a moment. Said they'd be right back. Ran outside and came back with the other little girl wearing the costume. But my favorite answer was one little girl that just kept smiling. And when I said you're not in costume she answered. But I am. I'm dressed up as you. Don't you see my smile. Lol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a sign posted - "No costumes, no treats!" I hate to be a curmudgeon, but if I'm spending money on candy for you, you'd better be wearing a costume.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Everyone gets candy at my house. Even the parents. The surly teen with the backpack or the grocery bag. The baby that is obviously too young to eat candy but the proud parents couldn't resist putting them in a costume and packing them around the block with a bag themselves...

The one night of the year where all that come out should be rewarded.

Y'all are forgetting that "Trick or Treat" isn't just a silly saying... it's an implied threat. Give them a treat, or you might get tricked. :D

What about the kid that can't afford a costume or feels stupid for really just wanting to go be a kid again and get candy? Let them be a kid a little bit longer and don't give them crap for doing so. What are they hurting? I smile REALLY BIG at them, tell them Happy Halloween and they always smile back and say thank you almost 99% of the time.

Something lots of folks keep forgetting is that many kids lack imagination to put together a simple costume now, so unless they can scrape together money to go buy one, they really don't have the skills to make one at home. And the ones that may have the imagination, might not have any money to get the basics or have parents/siblings/friends that will treat them like absolute garbage for wanting to do something creative - like making a costume - and they'll end up feeling caught between being a kid and going TOT and worry about whether they'll be made fun of or bullied for doing so. Many times that surly teen is just a kid that wants to just have a little fun one more Halloween.

Or what about the kid that has sensory issues or other mental/physical issues that might make it hard for them to wear anything other than their normal clothes? I know of two kids in my own neighborhood that are sensory issue kids/autistic that dearly love Halloween and TOT, but can't wear costumes without causing panic. Or the older child/young adult that may still be mentally a child? You want to make them feel terrible for having issues, or make them or their parents try to explain at every single disapproving house why they're not in costume? Why would you want to risk making some poor kid feel bad about something they can't control... all because they just wanted to be a kid and trick or treat on Halloween?

I ADORE Halloween. I'm not however the Halloween Police. I'm not going to say "you are too old/too young/no costume" and deprive them of the fun and enjoyment of the night. I want them to have a good Halloween - and all I require is a bag so I can give them their candy, and attempt to say the magic words - TRICK OR TREAT and they will get candy at my house.
You said everything I was going to say but you said it much more clearly than the way I generally muddle everything. I totally agree. If they come to my house they get a treat. The teenagers that come to my house are always friendly and love to admire the decorations. They often come for the treat and ask if they can take pictures among the tombstones. No problem...the more the merrier.

Marie

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have known kids whose parents would allow them to walk around Halloween but would not buy them costumes for religious reasons.

·
Ghouls Rule
2,584 Posts
I only got miffed once ever and it was this year. Kid looked about 10-12 and not in costume/front backpack with friends. As Im handing out he was going to be first among his group of friends but he leans around me and says with a snear, " how many pieces are you handing out?".. Im in sales so I take rude comments easily and swiftly moved to his friends bags and gave them candy before finally getting back to him all the while my reply as he now has to wait his turn for candy, "youll get what youll get and be happy I dont call my mummies curse on you for forgetting a costume", his friends laugh and he gets his candy. Yes, I plopped a lil less than normal.

He actually ruined it for his friends because I had full sz bars I was giving to kids over 10 and when he said that I reached back and grabbed the loose stuff vs the bars that were in hiding.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I run a tiered system since I usually get 1 to 6 at a time it isn't an issue.

No costume: Loose candy
Costume: Bagged candy
Unique or Handmade: Bag and a full size

I do call them out with " what no costume" if they answer me with something creative and make me laugh I'll give them a bag.

·
Celtic Spirit
2,100 Posts
Good for you kitty. As I stated in my earlier comment, I always give them candy, costume or not. I usually tell them "Have fun and thanks for coming". But it's the cocky or disrespectful kid that will illicit a comment from me. I only had one this year; seven teens came to the door, none in costume. I was giving out seven pieces of candy to each kid - 2 types of skittles, 2 starburst, 2 fun size chocolates and 1 rice krispy treat. Well, the first kid comes up again and I asked, "What, did you get back in line?" He looked a little embarrassed so I said, Alright, how many pieces of candy do you want? He replied, "Uh, two?" I said, I'll give you three but that's it and don't tell your friends (they had already ran off). I think ten pieces of candy is enough.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
We had quite a few kids this year that didn't wear costumes but every single kid no matter what age was with their parents & they all got candy because that's the point of the whole thing for me, they came, they saw my stuff, they liked the effort & they all said thank you which was nice.

Like I said before, I don't care one way or the other & I can't keep the candy anyway.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I couldn't care less if Tots come with or without costumes, young or old.
This year my middle schooler dressed up as Wednesday which everyone recognizes. But last year she dressed up as Veronica from the show Riverdale for Halloween. My older teenager dressed up as Cher from clueless this year and chanel #2 from scream queens another year. I doubt most grown adults would recognize a lot of these characters.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I didn't have a single ToTer show up this year without a costume, which was nice. Way back in the day, there used to be tons of teenagers who would go around and get free candy, just because they could. They didn't even make an effort, they didn't know what "please" or "thank you" meant and frankly, they figured people just owed them. So I'm not all that enthused about giving out candy to people who can't even make an effort. Haven't had that issue around here luckily.

·
They call me HeebieJeebie
1,991 Posts
I was pleasantly surprised at all the costumes this year! I only got 45 kids (actually more than usual!) and all but 2 or 3 put obvious effort into their "look" for the evening.

Since I know we don't get that many, I give out full sized bars for bigger kids & ring pops / toys for the little ones. The older kids who come later get 2 or 3 bars, just so I don't have them in the house anymore. And of course, any compliments about the cemetery = more candy!

My only issue was the kid (8 or 9, I'd say) who looked at what I gave him and said "no thank you. I don't like these. Can I have one of those?" and pointed at something else. WTF???? At least he was polite about it, but still. REALLY??

·
Registered
288 Posts
From someone in every group or from the individual TOTer, the words "Trick or Treat", must be spoken.
Some times it's as I open the door, (word has been passed on the street), other times it takes a while, I'll even offer them the of a life line.
I then take off my mask and everyone gets candy who is at the door.

jerseyscare

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Don't really care since I know everybody at my door has decided to make the considerable walk to my rural doorstep. Didn't have as many no-costumes (if any) as a few low-effort costumes (sports jersey, hunting garb) on a few older boys. Fine by me.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts