Halloween Forum banner
41 - 60 of 143 Posts

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
Yeah this is a humor thread, so anything anyone says should be taken as humor right? :) So maybe there was a bit of truth to my comment, but it was meant to be light hearted. I too am bummed when the kids with attitude make comments. But, most of the time I think they are the ones who like it, but just feel like they are too old to like it and still look cool. So they make their little comments. I personally take it as a challenge to try to get everyone in the spirit.
and here we think you acknowledge it

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
Chaps.. I think we've lost the essence of this thread somewhere along the line.
It was supposed to be a humorous jibe at the older teenagers and young adults that turn up at your haunt with their @ss hanging out and an attitude to match...(thats why Billy posted it in the humour section and hence my initial reply). Just to set the record straight, I would not set the hounds on anybody, or palm anybody off with dog dirt because they weren't wearing a costume..I am a father myself and would be savage if anybody did that to my kids or anybody elses for that matter.
Yes, we have visits from kids whose parents don't give a damn enough to help them out with even the most basic costume. Mrs Samedi will offer to daub on a bit of face paint on these kids, and kit them out with some plastic vampire teeth to "scare off the monsters" before they come into the haunt. Everybody is welcome at Samedi Manor on Halloween, and everybody gets a treat.
My unreserved apologies if my "English" sense of humour has been taken out of context and has offended anybody. My comments were not intended to inflame or to cause controversy. We all love halloween and to share our love of the season and to encourage others to do so means including everybody, regardless of age, race, gender or social status.

I may look like a monster, but I'm not really.:D

Best regards,

Baron S.
and here sami apologizes for his joke.

·
Banned
101 Posts
I don't think "joking" around about giving dog poop , or rotten pumpkin , or anything of the such , is in any way , shape or form , a joke . It actually makes me wonder if its because of folks ACTUALLY doing things like that , that made towns , like the one I live in , act the way they do !
The town actually looks DOWN on Halloween . It was this way before I moved here ( no , I was not born in the mid west , but rather in Florida and moved here to Iowa aprox 17 yrs ago )
They don't want trick or trickers here , and have been trying these REALLY rediculous ways to get kids out of going from house to house .
The call it TRUNK OR TREAT .. which is a BUNCH of crapola - Iowa style !
Its where folks all meet at the local school parking lot , open up their car trunks , and have the candy in there , waiting for all the good little ToT'ers to arrive to come and take their candy and go home .
And you want to know WHY this all started ? Hummmm ... think it had anything to do with some person doing something similiar to what some here , was "joking" around about doing ?
And to the other Iowan here that keeps posting ... I live in Oelwein - which is the NE section of Iowa , in case you were wondering .
And FTR - seems people ONLY started to apologize AFTER they started getting griped at .
Look , if you want to be cheap , and not give out candy .. of course , thats your option , and you are entitled to do so ...
BUT...
when you start giving out dog crap and such ...
well , just let me say ... you BETTER not give any of MY kids , my grandkids , OR any kids I know , anything like that !
This is where I end before I get to a point where I start flaming and cussing !
And yes ... this type of stuff being taken out on KIDS , really gets me going .
I am done with this thread .

·
Premium Member
2,730 Posts
Nothing like a good discussion.

I did have to remove a post here as someone did directly attack a member. That is not tolerated (as it never should be).

Remember to be nice. If you disagree with someone, always speak up...just always to it nicely.

Thanks.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
They don't want trick or trickers here , and have been trying these REALLY rediculous ways to get kids out of going from house to house .
The call it TRUNK OR TREAT .. which is a BUNCH of crapola - Iowa style !
Its where folks all meet at the local school parking lot , open up their car trunks , and have the candy in there , waiting for all the good little ToT'ers to arrive to come and take their candy and go home .
And you want to know WHY this all started ? Hummmm ... think it had anything to do with some person doing something similiar to what some here , was "joking" around about doing ?
Trunk or Treat aint a small town Iowa thing,,,,they're everywhere, especially in Utah where the predominant faith gets everyone to come to the Church parking lot. Trunk or treats have nothing to do with dog poop or razor blades. Trunk or treats give single parents the ability to both hand out candy and let their kids trick or treat. That's about the only "good" thing I would say about trunk or treats, because I think it boils down to lazy parents who don't want to take their kids out on a cold night. Same thing goes for those who take their kids to the death march at the mall for a tootsie roll.

As for those non-costumed teenagers...I give em the candy based on their attitude. Everybody gets a piece, but if they give me props for my props or are just nice in general, they get more pieces...

·
Super Moderator
5,919 Posts
Ah....The Trunk or Treat.

Yes, Trunk or Treat is about "safety".

Both from razor blades and dog poop, and from the "evil influences" of Halloween. Various church organizations have attached to it as the Halloween alternative.

Last I got word of one was at the old house. "No wonder we don't get ToT's" I thought.

So, I got me an AC converter, threw a fog machine in the trunk and went down, only to be asked to leave, my costume being too graphic for the innocents.

Anyhow.

Lacking costume:

I am happy to indulge the teen taking his younger sibling, the teen who is clearly out on a date stopping by, and the drunken frat boys next door who came trick or beering as part of their party.

I haven't had any others come sans-costume.

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
i never heard the mall thing called a death march. i always thought the mall thing was so businesses could enjoy the night and give something to the customers. in a town close to mine they step it out a little. the businesses go down to a specified area and are alotted so much space. you can decorate your space anyway you want. then the kids line up and at a specified time they begin marching through. it's fun and it's all volunteer. no one has to participate unless they want to. i did it with my sister 3 years in a row. we pushed through 2000 kids. i don't remember anyone not dressed up, but here everyone gets a treat of some kind. it takes about 2 hours for the front of the line to reach the last booth. 2 hours then they stop allowing kids in. but by then the line is pretty well in. the kids are so cute and some of the costumes are amazing. my sister and i had the first booth and so we could see the other booths, we would fall into line behind the last kids and go around. a lot of work goes into the booths. and this way we could see everyones work. B U T, instead of taking a treat we would go up to those workers and say happy halloween and give them one of our treats. that would really tickle them and some would join us in line and go around with us. it's a fun night but two drawbacks. it's down by the river so0 you are pretty frozen just standing there and, you have no voice left after commenting on how cute the costumes are.

·
Super Moderator
5,919 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've been to the same death march as Scatterbrains, and it certainly fits.

IMO, the worst one locally is the Dinosaur park. (last time we went anyway).

"treats" amounted to fliers from all the sponsors. (Notable exception being the mortuary...predictable, but funny, room, and at least suckers for the kids)

Ah well, Kyle won the costume contest...

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
I don't care how old, costume or not, anyone that comes to my house gets candy.
I agree! Each year, I see a couple of kids that don't dress up, or don't really take a lot of time putting something together. Regardless, I give everyone candy. I might tease the older kid(s) that don't have a costume -- but they still get candy. I also have a cider shack and hand out free hot cider to anyone and everyone that wants it. The parents really like having something warm to drink and the TOTs get hysterical over the sliver of dry ice I put into each cup.

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
tk, that's a sweet setup. you know, i wish i had thought of something like that last year for the parents while the kids were playing their games. it was chilly out and they would have enjoyed that

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
I don't give candy to kids who don't have a costume - like others have said, the older toters that is. If someone is 20, 6'tall and comes toting, i'll still give them candy as long as they are in a costume. For the teens who don't wear a costume I was thinking of this year giving them empty boxes of candy that have a note inside with a scribbled drawing of a dot or a gumdrop and says 'no costume no candy'.

·
Shiver me timbers
1,271 Posts
yardhauntjunkie, TK421, Frankie's Girl, you guys are awesome.
I give out the same candy to the ones in costume as I do to the ones without. I used to think it bothered me, but after reading posts like this, The Baddest TOTs...how do you stop them? - Page 2 - HauntForum.com
, it's such a minor thing to worry about. It is all about fun, or mostly anyway.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I agree! Each year, I see a couple of kids that don't dress up, or don't really take a lot of time putting something together. Regardless, I give everyone candy. I might tease the older kid(s) that don't have a costume -- but they still get candy. I also have a cider shack and hand out free hot cider to anyone and everyone that wants it. The parents really like having something warm to drink and the TOTs get hysterical over the sliver of dry ice I put into each cup.

nice shack!!!!!!! here in so Florida its to warm for cider,,but i bet a beer shack for the parents would make them REAL happy

41 - 60 of 143 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.