Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Banned
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although last year I didn't have many tot'ers without a costume in the yearsprevious I had upwards of a dozen or two. To me this is intolerable. While it would give me great pleasure to send them away with nothing such an act would only ruin the halloween for those who dressed up. So I get a little subtle. You can see these halloween offenders all the way down the street. In my hand with be candy along with either a dog bone, piece of carved pumpkin, wood etc...They holdout their bag thinking they have it made and then I drop the "Charlie Brown" treat in unbeknownst to the anti halloweenist. What makes it so funny is holding the straight face. Lastyear I had a sign no costume no candy and still offenders came. They left with nothing but pumpkin pieces. It may be called "trick or treat" but that doesn't mean I can't do the tricking! :p

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Right on Billy-boy! that sounds like something I might do this year.
It really p****s me off sometimes that these people want to suck it all up, but make no effort themselves. Ever noticed how they are often the ones who are the most critical of your haunt/props..??:mad:

Forget the pumpkin pieces, I'm collecting doggie-do from July onwards...;):D

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
maybe a lump of coal would deliver the hint. or a tootpick wrapped in foil. a little note attached, no costume, no candy. or say, aahhh, no costume to amuse me, you must sing then for your treat. have the mamas and the papas playing in the back ground, sing for your supper. lol well, this wouldn't work for me, i make them every year do something to amuse me anyway. karoake one year, they had to find their treat another year [oh there is nothing funnier than tot running around your yard looking for their treat], bean bag toss another year, walk the plank without falling off, answer a halloween trivia question, identify that monster, blindfolded reach into a bucket of slime and eat it [jello and gummy worms][i loved that one]. this year will be rat splat. so i am back to a toothpick with a note. lol

·
Registered
594 Posts
Eh, the hard part about that is.... these "kids" know where you LIVE! All it takes is one quick glance into their bag after leaving your porch, and suddenly you start getting eggs on your car, tp in your trees - or worse.... some of our Uncostumed TOTs are taller than I am, and probably take guns to school! HAHAHAHA ;)

·
Shadow box dancer
1,392 Posts
Yeah stupid poor kids that might not be able to afford something or their parents don't care enough to help them. I hope you guys really show them!!!! Maybe after you put poop in their bag you can push them over after they turn around. Or maybe you could be in the spirit and give them a piece of candy and send them on their way hoping that your holiday spirit had helped them fall in love with Halloween as much as you.

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
sorry, but i come from a small town and i know the kids. the ones that don't dress up are the older ones with attitude. they've dressed up every year and all of a sudden attitude. also, i came from the next to the poorest family in town, it doesn't take much to incorporate an outfit. it doesn't have to be store bought or family supplied. it doesn't have to be the coolest outfit out there. it just has to show a little effort. a ghost, a clown, a gypsy, a witch, a cowboy, an alien, a rapper. it is trick or treat, halloween, and that does say costumes. and when the guy was saying put poop in the bag, i don't think he was serious, he was just being funny.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Yard, I think we are all talking about teen agers here - the ones that walk up to your door in a pair of raggedy jeans, a t-shirt, and sneakers, then ring your bell and look at you like, "where in the hell is my candy, dude?" or the ones that "ask" you to put more than JUST ONE in the bag.... stuff like that.

I have a 13 and a 15 year old... they don't trick or treat anymore, its not for them, its for little kids. While age was NOT mentioned in the OP, I am SURE that we alllllll knew who we were talking about - the 16 year old jerks that I described above. Do you honestly think that ANY of us here would turn away a 5 year old little girl because she didn't have a costume on?????

C'mon, Yard... you know us better than that, man.

·
Shadow box dancer
1,392 Posts
sorry, but i come from a small town and i know the kids. the ones that don't dress up are the older ones with attitude. they've dressed up every year and all of a sudden attitude. also, i came from the next to the poorest family in town, it doesn't take much to incorporate an outfit. it doesn't have to be store bought or family supplied. it doesn't have to be the coolest outfit out there. it just has to show a little effort. a ghost, a clown, a gypsy, a witch, a cowboy, an alien, a rapper. it is trick or treat, halloween, and that does say costumes. and when the guy was saying put poop in the bag, i don't think he was serious, he was just being funny.
Yeah this is a humor thread, so anything anyone says should be taken as humor right? :) So maybe there was a bit of truth to my comment, but it was meant to be light hearted. I too am bummed when the kids with attitude make comments. But, most of the time I think they are the ones who like it, but just feel like they are too old to like it and still look cool. So they make their little comments. I personally take it as a challenge to try to get everyone in the spirit.

·
Registered
504 Posts
It really ticks me off when older kids go trick or treating... especially with no costume!
Last year I saw kids from my high school who were juniors or senors and they were in full getup with their friends going trick or treating!
How old are you!? REALLY!?
I say after middle school, stop trick or treating!

We also had a sign out front saying "NO COSTUME NO CANDY"
We only had a handful of (older) kids with no costumes.
I pointed to the sign and said "Aren't you a little old for this?" and they walked away.
:p.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Haha, you are allowed to say that FYF because you ARE an "older kid", (for all intents and purposes!) and not only are you NOT trick or treating, but you spend all year planning, building and preparing a kick ass haunt yourself!

Rockon! :D

·
Registered
453 Posts
I had "special bags" with pinecones for em last year, no eggs, no tp, no problems, of course it was fri nite last year and most of the "problem kids" from the previous year were at the football game, this year could be really busy with it being sat nite. I think I only gave out 2-3 pinecones last year, I was ready for more though.

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
i guess it's up to the individual, but i personally give a treat to any age. how do you say to old is to old. some would say 9, some would say 12, some might say 14. but how about my friend who for the first time was getting to go trick or treating. he was 7 and they had just moved to town. he was so excited. the first house he went to chewed him good for being to old. he went home devastated. never did get to trick or treat. both his parents were over 6 ft tall and he was an extra tall kid. my daughter had a friend the same way. they went out trick or treating and everyone thought it was so nice big sis was taking little sis out. so noone gave to big sis. big sis was 6 years old just like little sis. the first time my daughter brought this girlfriend home, i thought how the heck did they make friends. i thought for sure this girl was at least in the 4th grade. the mom was 6'1 and the dad was 6'5. even the parents at my door get a treat, who knows, i just might give some one their first treat. halloween was a fun time for me when i was a kid. i wish that joy on everyone. i don't expect the parents to dress up [although to my delight some do], and when siblings stand back and it is obvious they are taking the little sis or brother around and may not have on a costume but aren't doing it for the treat, i think that is very nice and give. it's the ones that have no costume and have an attitude. i do a haunt for the kids every year. to go through that i don't expect a costume. i am actually aiming that at the teenage kids. little kids are trick or treating, adults are at parties, contests, bars. so what's for the teenager? why, my haunt! and if it keeps them busy and they enjoy it, they can get in line as many times as they want. i do love halloween.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Yeah stupid poor kids that might not be able to afford something or their parents don't care enough to help them. I hope you guys really show them!!!! Maybe after you put poop in their bag you can push them over after they turn around. Or maybe you could be in the spirit and give them a piece of candy and send them on their way hoping that your holiday spirit had helped them fall in love with Halloween as much as you.
Poor kids?...At Samedi Manor?..Not a chance. We would release the hellhounds the very moment they even thought about stepping up the path...:mad:

:D

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,689 Posts
I don't care how old, costume or not, anyone that comes to my house gets candy.

We do have a large number of kids roughly middle school age that TOT with no costume, but there are groups of teens that still TOT AND wear full on costumes. I'll never forget the group that had one 13-15 year old boy wearing a full banana suit... his stem caught on the spiderwebbing and he got a little worried about tearing up everything. It was so funny! His group included a few monsters, a Rainbow Brite, and cheerleader.

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
I don't care how old, costume or not, anyone that comes to my house gets candy.

We do have a large number of kids roughly middle school age that TOT with no costume, but there are groups of teens that still TOT AND wear full on costumes. I'll never forget the group that had one 13-15 year old boy wearing a full banana suit... his stem caught on the spiderwebbing and he got a little worried about tearing up everything. It was so funny! His group included a few monsters, a Rainbow Brite, and cheerleader.
love ya frankies girl, and that is to funny. what's a little webbing for a good halloween laugh. hope it didn't deter the young man from dressing up in the future.
i do have a sign up that says no costume no treat, but everyone gets a treat. i do razz them though. i make everyone do a trick for a treat, but without a costume, the trick has to be double time.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Wow. This thread really surprised me.

Back in the 80s I was in college. We had a huge halloween keg party planned for the late evening. We talked about how little kids didn't ToT because of candy scares ... and how sad that was. So before heading to our party, a bunch of us donned our costumes and went through the nearby neighborhood to show our spirit. Folks loved that we were out. Many said we were the only ToT they expected to see.

You bet older kids get candy at my house. Costume or not.

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
Poor kids?...At Samedi Manor?..Not a chance. We would release the hellhounds the very moment they even thought about stepping up the path...:mad:

:D
you know, that could be funny. someone dressed up scary like a scarecrow and when the kids get to the door, it's the one without a costume you jump up at and chase. lol

·
Banned
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ha Ha ha....did someone just utter the p double o p...I'm incapable of even uttering such a word.

The reason I do not reward those who do not dress up is because it encourages them and their friends(yes children have those and are forced to dwell together 6 hours a day or more)to think it's okay to not dress up.

Who are the offenders? Teenagers mostly..although the new teen with ipod/cell in tow might be 10. No parent lets their kid(sub 13)out of the house on Halloween without a costume.

What if they're "too old"? Too old? WT you know what does that mean??? lol I don't care if they're 100 years old if they dress up I will offer candy....raisonette?

Everything is relative too. If you normally only get 15-20 kids you might go wayyyyy out of your way to see their parents dental bill is healthy. However if you live in a city like I do you have different attitudes, mass migration, and a sense of entitlement.

Every trick deserves a counter trick. Not dressing up is their trick....mine is next. It's a game but it's also an education in the city.

Do I worry about vandalism? Not really...because kids are too afraid now along with adults....Bunch of kids were walking down the street yesterday talking about "that's the scary house"....They also called it the scariest around....I go through great efforts to arrange things just right. It's only fair all show me the respect I deserve along with the night of Samhain deserves by showing some good spirit. Afterall my ancestors used to sacrifice small mammals.....key phrase "small mammals".....

·
Registered
594 Posts
"Sense of Entitlement" you hit THAT nail right on the head, Billy.

Thats the part that bugs me. Teenagers with saggy britches, holding open a huge lawn/leaf bag with the look on their face like, "where's the damn candy lady?" I work all year for my display, and they can't even put on a cheesy mask with their torn jeans?

Irks me, yes....but I still give them candy. It just may be the generic individually wrapped toffee that no one else wants, LOL.

This is more or less just a thread to get to vent about it, I'm not all out there, starting arguments in my front yard on Halloween night, lol.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts