Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Clarification: Not A Man
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While reading the moved thread about whether or not to give candy to non costumed ToTers, I started to think about the idea brought up in that thread about teenagers not caring about dressing up and peer pressure telling them they shouldn’t dress up.
I also thought about how some of us, while being older and knowing we shouldn’t be trick or treating, still like to dress up and get some kind of treat, be it compliments on the costume, candy treats, or prizes in contests.

But what have we done to the idea of dressing up as we get older? We have confined it to haunts, parties and childish style fun.

And the kids that don’t have the money to buy a costume, or don’t have the parents who have the time to help them make one, has anyone taken into consideration that they might not have the resources or skills, (parents and children alike), to make the costumes?

Yeah, I know you can tear up some thrift store or old clothes or just throw something together, blah, blah, blah, but come on and actually think about it for a second: How would you have felt as a kid being the one in the makeshift costume while everyone else has something cool to wear?

Has anyone here truly thought about the parents that don’t even have the time to take their kids ToTing? The numbers of people working all day and night, working 2 or 3 jobs, going to school, have gone up. A lot of parents don’t have the time to even cook a meal for their kids these days, let alone take them out in a costume to ToT, and when it comes to older siblings, at a certain age you can just forget about them taking the kids out.

So, what am I going on about this for?
Well, as I read the thread about the dirty tricks you could play on non-costumed ToTers, I thought to myself about the possibility of putting together a group of kids with chaperones, Halloween enthusiasts that like to dress up and walk away from the haunt but aren’t looking for candy treats. People that could get with a group of kids and help them make costumes, and take them out ToTing on the big night, giving the parents and older siblings a break and letting the little ones fully enjoy the holiday.

And such an event would bring out the would-be Halloween junkies who haven’t found an outlet for their holiday spirit. I found many people that developed a great love for Halloween just helping out in a haunted house, and not just dressing up and scaring but building and making new ideas for props and rooms. It could even count as volunteer work, something that many teens and college students need more and more of to qualify for scholarships or just impress a potential employer.

So what I’m prattling on about is that maybe instead of getting upset about the teens that don’t dress up, and feeling sorry for the kids that don’t have the means to dress up, maybe, close to Halloween in September and early October, put up flyer's and set up once a week groups to make costumes, learn about putting on makeup and offer ToT groups led by a costumed chaperone (with a means to be contacted of course such as a cell phone or for groups that stay close enough to each other and home base, walkie-talkies).

That way the little ToTer’s can have their fun, the teens who have nothing better to do can have a positive outlet for themselves and be encouraged to participate in the holiday for more than just candy, and the love of Halloween can be spread and changed from an age restricted holiday to an all ages holiday.

You could even encourage kids to take part in these groups by offering special treat bags with stuff from Oriental Trading or similar stuff (like glow sticks, candy other houses aren’t handing out, small toys, etc.), and you can get teens and other potential chaperones to join in by offering an after party just for them or small gift cards to local businesses.

It seems like a good idea to me, especially for small communities that could easily set up a program like that and possibly get it to be an annual tradition in some areas.

Or I’m crazy and looking for an excuse to be dressed up on Halloween without being a ToTer, in a haunt or going to a party. :D :p

·
Registered
117 Posts
I agree with you and think it's a great idea! I have the problem of my daughter is going to be 3 and I like to had out the candy and see the kids faces when they walk up to my house. So I have to chose to take her ToTing or stay home, If there was a group with a chaperone it would help out. I may see if some of the mothers on my block may want to do something like this. I think it would help alot of families. Like I said great idea.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,449 Posts
I love the idea. I love any idea that gets more people to love Halloween.

·
Clarification: Not A Man
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, does anyone have ideas for a planned way to go about doing something like this?

I think the three biggest concerns are:
How to pick chaperone's (and keep them in line)
What rules should be in place
How to keep parents at ease about their children's safety

I think if we can get a good plan laid out here, some haunters here might be willing to put this type of system into effect and test it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts