Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Total lunar eclipse tonight

There's a total liner eclipse, and blood moon tonight. http://www.fearnet.com/news/news-article/apocalyptic-blood-moon-will-rise-tonight

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Here in Mount Carroll, Ill. the clouds look very "Movie-Like", they have slight movement, lit up oddly, or so it seems?

·
Registered
604 Posts
This pic doesn't 't give the real moon justice, but it was similar here, in Vancouver, WA.
I don't think any pic could ever give that sight justice Dustin, it has to be seen to be believed. My shot does show the brighter starts around the Moon which is a very unusual sight indeed and that's Mars hanging to the upper right. UnOrthodOx, I had the same problem and will have to manually set focus and exposure times for the eclipse in October. Yes a witches moon...how cool is that.

·
Registered
13,768 Posts
Thanks for the photos Stringy Jack and UnOrthodOx. SJ, I particularly like the one with Mars in the photo. Nice clear shot. What kind of equipment were you guys using?

I went out as it was starting to be eclipsed but only hubby went out several times later over the subsequent hours. We had some clouds here. I took out our little binoculars which helped get a better view. Whenever we have some celestial event like this, I always end up saying "we need to get a good pair of binoculars". My dad had a nice pair, and as kids we always went out at night to see different things. Hubby has talked about getting a telescope but that's as far as it's gone. Our neighbors always leave their backyard lights on for some unknown reason and so we are always dealing with light pollution and that was part of our view last night. It's a pain to keep asking them to turn them off to see meteor showers and such. And of course their backyard porch light isn't one of those "dark night" rated ones either. Front yard of my haunt gets the street light. So much for living further out from the bigger city. I love the look of blood moons. Thanks again for sharing your photos.

·
Super Moderator
5,647 Posts
Thanks for the photos Stringy Jack and UnOrthodOx. SJ, I particularly like the one with Mars in the photo. Nice clear shot.
Minor correction...that was Saturn in that pic, Mars would have been a bit more right and above the moon. My wife's point and shoot got the general orientation of the 3, mars off to the right there.

What kind of equipment were you guys using?
I was using a pentax D100 (8 year old DSLR which wasn't top of the line at the time, but was rated best among 'entry level' back then for low light. Looking for a newish Pentax K30, which is one of the few DSLR's to actually surpass this one for low light photography)

With a 56 year old 200 MM F4.6 prime lens (so no automagic things work with it, all my lenses are ancient like that) and a doubler (so 400 mm F 9ish).

My problem was the full moon, I could shoot at 1/350 shutter speed. The eclipsed moon needed 10 seconds of exposure, which the moon is just fast enough for that to cause problems, so I had to drop the doubler, which got me to a 3 second exposure. I should have purposely underexposed and corrected in photoshop, but I wasn't thinking so clearly at 2 am.

Or I just need to get a camera adapter for the telescope...

·
Registered
13,768 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. I know sometimes up is down and down is up in some shots using telescopes as I seem to recall (or think I do). Didn't know when I asked, whether your photos came straight from the camera or if you tried capturing an image thru the telescope. In any event that's a pretty sweet set up and your wife's camera got a pretty nice shot of the three. I'll show hubby your pics tonight. Maybe it will motivate him to pick up something before October.

We haven't bothered to update our digital camera and low-light digital video camera for a number of years now. The resolution and zoom were nothing compared to today. When we knew we were going to be going on vacation we had bought them and we keep saying it's time to update but there's always something else that we pick up instead. Only regret is for times like these. When we first moved to the bay area we would go to the various observatories for comet viewing, star gazing nights, and always enjoy the planetarium shows for something to do. Moved further away and miss the organized events.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts