Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have the time that I thought I would this year, (new job, 4 teenagers, etc.) and can't make all the fabulous tombstones I had planned to for my new cemetery that I've been dreaming about these last few months. :( That being said, I've decided to go with an Insane Asylum/Hospital for the Criminally Insane theme. Over the years our house has become the "scary house" in the neighborhood and we were even in the local paper last year, so I'm really feeling the pressure to bring it this year...just don't have a lotta time! :eek:

Here's a naked pic of our house:

photo.jpg

Here is where I need help:

Asylum Sign - I do have the time to make a sign for the asylum, thinking along the same construction concept of a tombstone, i.e. pink foam, dry lock, etc. Where I'm stumped is what it should look like. I've done google searches on actual abandoned mental hospital signs and can't seem to yield many results. I'm looking at my foam, dremmel, and dry lock as I type this! As for as wording, I think I'll just use the name of our county and maybe an est. date. I just don't want it to look like some random tombstone floating out there near the sidewalk. Anyone have any ideas on size, shape, etc?

Props - I currently have 5 pose n stay skeletons (thanks Walgreens!) and 3 cheapo Blucky's that we had climbing up our house last year. Found some hospital gowns on ebay, will probably dress them all in those. My friend owns an antique mall and is going to let me borrow a crusty old hospital bed she has, so I figure I can incorporate that somewhere. Also have hanging bats, 3 large furry spiders, a couple of vultures, etc... Any ideas as to a scene I could set with the skelly's? Any suggestions on what to do with the windows? I'm thinking bars if i can figure out a cheap and quick way to make them.

Mausoleum - I do plan to put up our garage mausoleum from last year since it was such a hit with the neighbors. Just not sure how to tie that into the hospital theme. I think there may be a way though, seeing as though the names are humorous, maybe they could be patients that died at the hospital? Here's a pic of that:

photo.PNG.jpg

I feel like I'm so pressured because I'm running out of time that my creative juices just aren't flowing. Please help! Your ideas are MUCH appreciated. :)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
The place can have sick people with the plaque or something. The sign should look like stone and off the ground. That will help it not look like a tombstone.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That garage mausoleum is neat, how was that put together?
Really simple actually...just measured my garage door and divided according to how many stones I wanted, which was the most difficult part of the whole thing. (The side panels you see were actually a result of a miscalculation in measurements, but I think it winded up being a good mistake).

The stones are made of 3/4" pink foam insulation. I found the epitaphs online and printed them on my printer here at home in the fonts I liked. Then taped those onto the front of the foam, and outlined them in pen, pushing though the paper just a little so as to lightly carve the outline into the foam. Then pulled the paper off and went back over the lettering with the dremmel tool. For the cracks, I just used a regular kitchen knife and started randomly slashing! Then painted over the entire thing with gray Drylock, then went back into the lettering and cracks with black paint. While the black paint was still wet, I brushed over the entire thing in a downward motion with different shades of watered down grays. On a few of them I dry brushed a bit of white to add some dimension. They're attached to the garage door using magnets I hot glued to the back sides.

It's really one of those trial and error things...just get in there and get your hands dirty and it will all come together. I had no clue what I was doing but I watched a few of Terra's tombstone tutorials on youtube which were really helpful.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,585 Posts
If you are doing the outside grounds of an insane asylum, it should all be fenced off, for sure, with the gate arch having your asylum sign over the top of it. Then, I would add some simple benches around the grounds that the resident patients would've sat on on trips outside. Maybe a fountain in the yard, as well, something to calm the residents while visiting the outdoors...along with flowers and trees. If you can get some wheelchairs that patients can sit in to be taken outside to the ground, that would be awesome...with blankets over their legs for warmth. Spooking it up, I'd assume your patients will be skeletons? Maybe set one up in a straight jacket or something? Maybe another sitting on the ground with her knees up hugging them, clearly upset and in her own world? If you could make her rock, that'd be awesome, too! You would need mean, scary nurses, as well...oh, there's plenty you could do with the right supplies!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are doing the outside grounds of an insane asylum, it should all be fenced off, for sure, with the gate arch having your asylum sign over the top of it. Then, I would add some simple benches around the grounds that the resident patients would've sat on on trips outside. Maybe a fountain in the yard, as well, something to calm the residents while visiting the outdoors...along with flowers and trees. If you can get some wheelchairs that patients can sit in to be taken outside to the ground, that would be awesome...with blankets over their legs for warmth. Spooking it up, I'd assume your patients will be skeletons? Maybe set one up in a straight jacket or something? Maybe another sitting on the ground with her knees up hugging them, clearly upset and in her own world? If you could make her rock, that'd be awesome, too! You would need mean, scary nurses, as well...oh, there's plenty you could do with the right supplies!
Awesome ideas! I think my antique mall friend can come up with a bench or two. Not sure about a fountain but will look into that, that would be awesome. LOVE the idea of one crouched up holding her knees, that's a no brainer for one of the pose n stay's. Funny you should mention a wheel chair, been looking tonight on craigslist for one. I found a few killer antique ones but they're a bazillion dollars. :( Also been thinking about how to create an IV pole, maybe have one of the skelly's walking hanging onto one.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did the Insane Asylum thang this year. Here are some pics of my sign & yard. :) :
Good luck. It's a fun theme. :)

More here:
http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/130814-official-thread-broadmoor-hospital-criminally-insane-finally-set-up.html

Funny creepycathy, I have your historic sign on my pinterest page and read all about how you cut out each individual letter from foam just the other day when I was here searching the boards. I never saw these other pictures though, that all looks AWESOME! And I LOVE the barbed wire around the top of the fence. How'd you do that?

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
My mom (and most of her family) used to work at the local sanatorium (not quite the same thing, but ominous looking all the same). She told me a story about a woman who was terrified of living there. Every day she would stand at the window and say "Oh no, oh no!" repeatedly. When Mom asked her why, she said "There are more dead today, I see them taking them out for burial every day! Someday it will be me!" Which sounds like a pretty darn scary story, except that the lady's eyesight was terrible, and it was actually the groundskeeper out there moving around the croquet set on a daily basis. How she got the idea that they were sneaking bodies out for burial, I don't know.

ANYWAY, naturally I thought of that story, and I wonder--could you find an old croquet set, and maybe have a body with its head under a wicket with another character posed to strike with a mallet?

It could be that croquet is more of a sanatorium game rather than an asylum thing, but I don't think anyone will be that picky.

I do agree that the mausoleum could be patients who died on the grounds, though. Good idea!

Skinny PVC pipe should work for your bars (like mini sections of fake fencing) and IV pole, too. You could screw a couple of hooks into the top of the IV pole, too.

·
Wee bit Wicked
2,143 Posts
Funny creepycathy, I have your historic sign on my pinterest page and read all about how you cut out each individual letter from foam just the other day when I was here searching the boards. I never saw these other pictures though, that all looks AWESOME! And I LOVE the barbed wire around the top of the fence. How'd you do that?
Thank you. :)
I made the razor wire with this:

Then spray painted it with chrome spray; attached it (with zip straps) to pvc. :)

Great score on the wheelchair!!

Good luck with your theme. :) :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you. :)
I made the razor wire with this:

Then spray painted it with chrome spray; attached it (with zip straps) to pvc. :)

Great score on the wheelchair!!

Good luck with your theme. :) :)
Thanks for the info! And the well wishes! I currently have no fence around my yard, let alone barbed/razor wire. That will be a feat to figure out in such short a time. I realized I need some sort of fence last year, no matter what the theme/display is. I had so many cords running through the yard and it surprised me how many people just walked right up in the yard, adults and kids alike. Not sure what the laws are but would hate for someone to get hurt, or get sued because someone got hurt.

In the meantime, my son's girlfriend works at the hospital and grabbed me some old hospital gowns today. Got some stencils and fabric paint tonight, and plan on painting "Forsyth County Mental Institution" or whatever the name ends up being on the front of the gowns. This is my new buddy that's hangin' out with me in the garage while I work on my sign. Not sure why he's showing up sideways, but I still kinda like him! :)

photo-2.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts