Halloween Forum banner

101 - 120 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in Auckland, New Zealand. Halloween's a new 'phenomenon' here. However, on the street we live on, it's grown in popularity by the year. People with their kids come from other parts of Auckland to trick o' treat. This year, we had 400 kids roam our street. Next year's Halloween falls on a Saturday, and it'll be mayhem. LOVE IT!

·
Registered
4 Posts
We got around 200 this year, which is pretty average. About half are local kids and the other half bused in (which I'm totally cool with as long as they're having an awesome Halloween). The local kids know we give out full sized bars and make the trek to the end of the cul de sac even though it's kinda dark since I turn off the street light with a laser since my projectors aren't very bright. Had to set up the singing pumpkins on the neighbor's lawn since we ran out of room, but that helped get more kids to their door.

·
Registered
98 Posts
We had 500 and then had to shut down the display because we ran out (it was about 9pm)...i even barricaded off my walkway with caution tape and a big out of candy sign and the kids kept trying to come through 🤷🏻‍♀️
but we were super happy because we were in the middle of a huge wildfire/evacuation all week and the evacuations got lifted only the day before Halloween...i figured Halloween would basically just be cancelled...but the day was nice, the air was clear of smoke and people came out in droves!!! It was awesome 💕
Haha I did the same with Caution tape, turned all the lights off, etc. and a few still knocked on our day and said we owed them candy... glad you didn't have to evacuate

·
Registered
98 Posts
We had 185, about the same as last year. Not too bad for being in New Zealand... where it’s spring.
View attachment 726383
Haha Halloween in Spring is odd! But I guess you can't change the weather! At least you get to look forward to summer, around here, after Halloween.... it's winter for like 6 months. Snow and cooooold.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just how far out of town are you? Is there someway that you could advertise your haunt to help attract more TOTs? Sorry that you didn't get more.
We are on the East Coast, I-95 corridor, so we had lots of rain on Halloween, BUT the gods of Halloween left a window from about 4-9 pm so we got to have Trick-or-Treat. I don't count the kids but we bought a 250 count bag of candy bars and our relatives brought over another bag of a hundred or so and we used all the 250 count bag and most of the rest. We gave anywhere fron 1 to 3 pieces each to the kids so you do the math. It was a good turn out from my point of view. Condolences to lilibat with only one kiddo.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I live in Auckland, New Zealand. Halloween's a new 'phenomenon' here. However, on the street we live on, it's grown in popularity by the year. People with their kids come from other parts of Auckland to trick o' treat. This year, we had 400 kids roam our street. Next year's Halloween falls on a Saturday, and it'll be mayhem. LOVE IT! View attachment 726369
My son spent almost a month in your neck of the woods about 3 years ago. He absolutely loved it. He spent nearly 2 months in Australia, that he broke up by spending nearly a month around Auckland. (spent almost a month in Australia, then almost a month in New Zealand, then back to Australia for almost another month) He wishes now he would have spent most of his time in New Zealand. Sadly he missed Halloween and Christmas down your way as he didn't get down there until after Christmas. He told us that you all were some of the nicest folks he has ever met and your country was gorgeous.

Anyways back to the topic. Glad to hear that Halloween is becoming a thing down your way and I hope it continues to trend and grow. It's always fun to hear about other countries celebrating Halloween.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
We had 185, about the same as last year. Not too bad for being in New Zealand... where it’s spring.
View attachment 726383
So lucky to have such nice weather for Halloween. It would be different for sure though to have fresh new green leaves on the trees rather than the reds and golds and or the crisp crunch of newly fallen leaves under the feet. But I would sure love to have the nice weather. Be nice to have one of my favorite holidays fall in one of my favorite seasons.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Around 30-40. Raining and 40's all day, then the rain stopped and the wind started guesting up to 40 mph. Called City Hall Wednesday and asked if they were going to move trick or treat to the weekend, like some of the surrounding cities did, woman acted like I asked her to paint pink and purple stripes on City Hall. So condescending. Didn't put up my new werewolf, or my frankie or bride. Numbers down from 100+ last year. Daughter was scooping handfuls of candy into bags the last hour. Maybe next year......

·
Registered
2 Posts
We had about 165, down from 370 last year. It was cold, but the winds during the 6-8 hours were horrendous. Several outdoor setups had to be taken down, and the outdoor fog machine obviously sucked. We run the garage as a haunted house, so the kids usually come back every year. I spend about a month and a half preparing what we have, creating new scenes/props, and building, so this year was a little bit depressing when the wind kicked up.

If you want a video tour, it's on FB:
71560072_10215555249616487_8147100558721810432_o.jpg 76653007_10215751606365283_4174315857859575808_o.jpg 74428421_10215768219580603_3927470515261800448_o.jpg

·
Registered
52 Posts
We had around 100 or so. Normally, we get 300.. It started pouring rain here at 6:00 so I was giving every kid, full size candy bars a large bag of good candy mixes, jumbo Pixie stix and toys. Needless to say, they said I gave out the best candy.. The saddest part is that I had a ton left. Thankfully, my husband is in the US Navy and he has a lot of young adults in his squadron that he took the extras to.. Thankful it went there rather than staying here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
View attachment 726383
Nice!
My son spent almost a month in your neck of the woods about 3 years ago. He absolutely loved it. He spent nearly 2 months in Australia, that he broke up by spending nearly a month around Auckland. (spent almost a month in Australia, then almost a month in New Zealand, then back to Australia for almost another month) He wishes now he would have spent most of his time in New Zealand. Sadly he missed Halloween and Christmas down your way as he didn't get down there until after Christmas. He told us that you all were some of the nicest folks he has ever met and your country was gorgeous.

Anyways back to the topic. Glad to hear that Halloween is becoming a thing down your way and I hope it continues to trend and grow. It's always fun to hear about other countries celebrating Halloween.
It's a gorgeous country, all right. So glad to hear your son had a ball of a time 'down under'! I visited the US in 1998 and met some of the most hospitable and friendliest people on the planet. Naturally, there are the rotten apples in every country/society (God knows NZ has its fair share of a-holes and idiots) but, on the whole, we're all decent folk ... look at this site, for example. Hooraaah! 😄😄😄

And, yes - Halloween's becoming a thing 'down under'. In Auckland, anyway. I'm not sure about the rest of the country. I would LOVE for trick o' treating to continue into the night; we tend to end it early and kids head off home before it gets dark. By nightfall, there aren't any ToTs around; they're all at home, I imagine, either already chewing through their lollies and chocs or in their jim-jams fast asleep in bed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well , we had 8 kids a 5 adults, it was a very rainy and windy night, but one adult had said, "a lot of effort went into it", and a litlle girl looked at me and exclaimed, " how did you do it? How did you do it?" She was referring to my atmosfearfx projections😁, I told her I had a bit of Halloween magic, ..lol. It made my night!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Every year the number goes up - just like our candy budget. This year was perfect as the local schools were out Friday, so it was almost like a weekend feeling and about 600 kids came to the door, and maybe 1000 in all stopped by for the projection show. Next year being a Saturday should be epic. :)

See the projection here: Halloween House Projection 2019

101 - 120 of 127 Posts