Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
15 here -- and I'm stoked! Last year it rained, and nobody came by. This year was a little cold, but at least it finished raining yesterday. Lots of princesses and superheroes, and a couple of kids came as exercise enthusiasts (or maybe couch potatoes), judging by the un-decorated sweats they were wearing ; )

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,826 Posts
Weather in my area was technically perfect and seasonally appropriate (high 40/low 50s, light breeze, crisp and clear) but this is the first time in like 6+ years we've been below 75˚F during this time period and that apparently freaked all the parents out and the few kids that came out mostly were wearing Alaskan style parkas and gloves and wooly hats. :oops:

Lowest turnout in 15-ish years of doing this... I think it was 35-40 total if I count the kids and the parents and the dog. I closed down so early I had time to go return an unopened bag of candy for a full refund.

·
Registered
73 Posts
We had about 50. Down from about 170 last year. All week our weather was forecast to be terrible on Halloweenso, I wasn’t expecting even the 50 we had. As it turns out, the rains cleared and it was just windy. Go figure. Now I have to figure out what to do with a treasure chest full of candy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Trick or Treating hours were from 6-8. From 6-7:20 we had 186 (and 4 dogs). It started to snow at 7:26 and we had about 30 after that. It was very cold, very windy, rainy and just miserable. Things kept falling over and the wind was so bad it actually kept activating things when no one was around. But Halloween 2019 is in the bag. Time to start thinking about next year.

·
Registered
150 Posts
About 25, weather was everything parkerb51 had except my snow started a little later as I'm probably around 15-20 miles east, basically all neighborhood kids from our small sub. Our friends who live in this mobile home complex where you own your land had 0, which was surprising.

Think if I did more we might be able to draw more into the neighborhood like I do at the campground. There is a house people call the Halloween house I guess they really give out the treats to they have a couple of tables with rows of stuff and you get to select from all of them or several. Its funny and said that I don't do more at home always say I'm going to, but weather and things going on seem to stop me and wonder sometimes if its post letdown after doing all that at the campground. Really wanted to do more this year and do some testing for the campground as wife mentioned doing my shelter vertical instead of Horizontal and want to test it as would make a huge difference especially with trying to get it dark in there as much as possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
about 60, which was surprising since there was a 25 degree wind chill. It was hilarious really and the ghouls we have hanging under the eaves looked really good in that strong wind. Looking at all the bags of candy we were buying at the grocery store, I wondered aloud if we overbought and then said 'nah, kids will come out for candy' and I was right. And they were rewarded for braving the cold, I was giving out about 6 pieces of candy to each and then small handfuls to the last few.

Some parents were driving the kids and they all stopped at our house because of the decorations. It's funny, the kids seemed immune to the cold, it was the parents who were shivering...….but it was great! and I made the point a few times, 'yeah it's crazy cold, but this is a Halloween you'll remember' - anyway, sorry to those who didn't get very many kids, that's gotta be disappointing, but in my neck of the woods, nothin' was gonna stop them.

Now for the breakdown of the yard...…ughh, it's still cold, but at least it's sunny...…...maybe we'll go get some Starbucks and hit's Spirit's 50% off sale before starting that task, yeah, that sounds like a plan.

it's funny, when we were putting the decorations out, I said 'okay, lets put on the sunscreen and do this' because the first week of Oct it was in the low 90's, setting records, and Oct went out with bang too.....I don't know if we set any records but it's the coldest and windiest and craziest Halloween we've had in a long while. The only time it was more extreme, was back in the 90's, when we had snow. I remember that one well.

thanks to all who post pics here of their props and yards, most of y'all are way beyond what we do, especially those who make homemade props, I really love checking those out, but we put up a pretty scary haunt. This year I got into black light paint and lit some of the props with black light.....it looked really good. maybe I'll post some pics...….

·
Registered
530 Posts
We ended up with around 30. First Halloween in the house! They do travel in packs! I was kind of hoping for more since we live on a corner lot, had the giant spider, tombstones, and a red fire and ice light, but 30 is more than my parents ever had growing up! Children didn't show up until it got dark (I was informed that they started as early as 4), and the last one came around 9:20 p.m.

·
Registered
149 Posts
As usual we had zero. I did talk to the lady across the way (who, despite having introduced herself to me no less than three times previously, never remembers me) and the newish neighbor next door and while I've given up hope at this point, it does make me sad to know that they're still feeling the same crushing disappointment I felt the first two years we lived here. It probably didn't help that it was ridiculously warm all day and then somewhere around 7 the temps started to drop and the lightning rolled in.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Two of the last ones that stopped by here can on foot with their father and their mother was driving right behind them in the car. That seemed weird to me. Walk or drive. Pick one.
They do that around here all the time, but mostly where there is houses lit on just one side of the road, or just a few houses on the block lit up. In the bigger subdivisions people usually park then walk the entire loop.

21 - 40 of 127 Posts