Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Halloween folks! I'm new to posting on the forums, but I figured this would be a great place to get opinions. We usually make big bags of candy for the TOTs, but we want to shake things up this year. We kind of want to do the classic full candy bars, but I think it would be neat to give out 12 ounce cans of drinks. Kids always get tons of candy and it would seem like cans would stick out as being awesome. Had anyone ever done this before? If so, how did it go over? I don't know how parents would react. We would still probably get little bags of graham crackers or something for the tiny kids. We usually get around 300 TOTs every year, but are expecting more with the Friday and Saturday this year. Thanks in advance for any replies.

·
Registered
252 Posts
If they don't like your candy, they can throw it at you, your house, your car...no damage. What's a full soda can going to do?

Parents probably won't like it ... and do you think a 3 year old wants to lug around a can of soda? That bag is going to get heavy.

Just my opinion...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. Full bars are cool with me anyway. Now I just need to find a good deal on them. I let my Sam's Club membership lapse a couple of months ago and we don't have a Costco within 75 miles. Maybe I'll have to go back to Sam's.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Hi! I'm a mom of 2 - a DD4 and a DS almost 2. We don't do soda in our house, plus I have to admit - more sugar on top of Halloween candy isn't something I'd be thrilled about. BUT - you can get inexpensive, 100% juice drink boxes at our dollar stores for $1, and there are 4 of them in a pack. So, for 25 cents a juice box, personally I'd love it if houses handed those out, because not only are they smaller and more healthy than a soda, they would be great if the kids are thirsty as they walk. In order to keep costs down since you get a large number of TOTers, maybe you offer the juice boxes just to the smaller kids, I don't know. Just throwing it out there!

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
We offer the kids a choice of one of the following:

Giant pixie stick
full size candy bar
BIG GRAB sized bag of chips
12 oz cans of soda.

It's a fairly even mix what kids go for. I do notice that when kids choose a soda, they usually crack it right open on the spot and start drinking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We offer the kids a choice of one of the following:

Giant pixie stick
full size candy bar
BIG GRAB sized bag of chips
12 oz cans of soda.

It's a fairly even mix what kids go for. I do notice that when kids choose a soda, they usually crack it right open on the spot and start drinking.

That's a really great idea!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Full size cans of pop or full sized chocolate bars were always awesome when I was a kid. Pop was strictly a treat. My lads were thrilled when they got a can of pop or chocolate bar.

My next door neighbour is a douche, and gives out drinking boxes and granola bars. Kids get those every day going to school. Blah. Her house has been egged. I have another neighbour (a doctor) and only gives out pencils, stickers and sesame snaps. His house gets egged and his pumpkins get smashed.

Geez, kids in my area like to get treats, not lunch bag specials. Maybe because I live in a wealthy area, kids love to get real treats in their over scheduled, controlled lives. I give out full sized choccies ��

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I was a full size candy bar guy, but the pricing is getting to me...so I'm going to smaller bars. From a cost standpoint sodas are an awesome way to go because they are probably less than 1/2 the price of a full size candy bar

·
Registered
101 Posts
People can be funny. I knew someone who would let her kids trick or treat, pick out a few pieces of candy, them made them throw out the rest! She was also a total health nut who lectured me quite sternly for eating meat.

When I was a kid we were thrilled to get soda on Halloween. Of course, only one house did it and it's because they worked for a distributor or something, but we got plenty of candy from other house so although full sized bars were cool, it didn't have the same impact.

but we want to shake things up this year
Just don't shake up the soda!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
It's true - it's such an individual thing, you never know what some parents are going to be happy about, or sometimes even kids will surprise you and some of them will actually CHOOSE something healthy if you give them the option! :D

I love the table set-up above where UnOrthoDox gives a choice of things, including soda. That's the way I'd do it! Although I'm not a fan of soda for my young kiddos, it IS a treat night. I'm still "mommy-ish" enough to say that thank goodness my kiddos are still excited over juice boxes though!

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
I gave out the small halloween cans a few years back and since everyone one in the free world has a cell phone it quickly spread all over town. I was swamped with people who never bothered to show up before. I had planned just enough for the 60 or so kids who come here every year so was pretty peeved!

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I gave out the small halloween cans a few years back and since everyone one in the free world has a cell phone it quickly spread all over town. I was swamped with people who never bothered to show up before. I had planned just enough for the 60 or so kids who come here every year so was pretty peeved!
have to admit, that is part of the reason I am not going with the full sized anymore. I may get some for the few neighborhood kids I recognize

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I'm 50/50 on the matter of sodas. There have been a lot of Halloweens, even in Maryland, where it was pretty warm and after hiking a pack of kids around for an hour or two a cold soda was a very welcome treat for all of us. The inevitable downside was the "here Dad, hold this" that comes afterwards and what do you do with the empty cans once the kids are done with them.

I think a nice alternative is to set up an aid station where kids and parents can get something to drink in a cup and throw it away while they are there.

As for fullsize candy bars, I've never been a fan of them. I think one of the best parts about Halloween was you got a big variety of candy you never got at any other time of the year. So if you wanted to eat three different types of candy at one time you could. Fullsize bars were what we got the rest of the year, so they were never a big deal for us.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts